Am I doing something wrong?

Options
Hello all
Thanks for reading my post. I have been using MFP for a bit over 2 weeks now. After the first week and a half, I had lost a bit over 2 lbs but now I have added it back. I'm so confused! I work out hard on the elliptical everyday and log everything I eat. Most days I still have some calories left that I could eat but I don't. There have been a couple days that I have gone slightly over calories but then other days it's under the allotted amount.
I am in antidepressants and scared I can't lose the weight because of it.
I would greatly appreciate any input.
Thank you so much

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10084670/it-is-unlikely-that-you-will-lose-weight-consistently-i-e-weight-loss-is-not-linear

You're never going to lose every day or every week. Sodium intake, hormones (especially ones associated with the menstrual cycle), new or increased exercise will all cause water retention that masks weight loss. If you're going to weigh every day, you need to look pst the fluctuations and at the long term trend.
  • akmomof7
    akmomof7 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Your sample size is too small to tell you much of anything at this point. Keep at it for another week or two to really get a feel for how effective your current goals are. In the mean time, work on developing the tools to help you succeed. Get a food scale and weigh everything - even prepackaged items. Log all the bites, tastes and licks (if you are like me, this will discourage mindless sampling lol!). Log your exercise and eat SOME of the calories back. Once you try it for a few weeks you will get an idea of how accurate your exercise burns are. Stop stressing about little bumps on the scale! They will happen and are a normal part of the process. Good luck and I hope you are very successful in achieving your goals!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You're not doing anything wrong, you're just being impatient
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    You need to do it for longer. Weight fluctuates throughout the month so weight loss can be masked by water retention.

If you want to check that your calories are set properly try an online TDEE calculator and make sure your myfitnesspal daily calorie goal is less than your TDEE (daily maintenance calories)
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Just keep going and come back in 6-8 weeks. Weight loss is not linear.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    You need to do it for longer. Weight fluctuates throughout the month so weight loss can be masked by water retention.

If you want to check that your calories are set properly try an online TDEE calculator and make sure your myfitnesspal daily calorie goal is less than your TDEE (daily maintenance calories)

??

I would presume since initial weight loss has occurred, OP is in a calorie deficit.. just being a little impatient is all.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    What others said. Do make sure you're weighting everything you eat with a digital scale.
  • KombuchaKat
    KombuchaKat Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Oh honey...it is WAY too early in your process for this post.
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    You just can't really tell in 2 weeks. I weigh everyday, I shouldn't but I have learned how much weight fluctuates from day to day. I have not cheated at all and an under calorie most days. In the beginning I see a 3 lbs drop a week later it was up again. A lot of it I think is water retention, some days you have more. Now I get on the scale each morning and while there is occasionally a up its not a full lbs anymore and overall its coming down . Stick with it, it will happen
  • kahalaplum
    kahalaplum Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi all
    Thanks so much!
    Seems like I'm being a little impatient. Lol
    I will keep at it and hopefully will see a change in another few weeks. Thank you all so much for your tips.
    Good luck everyone.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Most importantly, don't get upset over fluctuations, keep on weighing your food and yourself at same time, like first thing in the morning, keep track of it. So ver time, you would see your trend, and ups and downs are most normal. Be, patient, it takes time. Some weeks i stay within my limits and nothing much happening, and then it drops down, just to climb a bit back up next day. Then down again. Just watch your trend, and of course, mind what your intake is.
  • LynnBBQ72
    LynnBBQ72 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Don't give up so early in the process! I started at the end of July at 222 lbs and a size 22W pants. First week - down 3 lbs - Yay me! Second week.... nothing lost on the scale. Huh? Third week... nothing lost on the scale. WHAT?? Why bother? I almost gave up, but realized my pants were getting looser. I tried on a size 20W and those fit just fine. I checked my measurements and found that I had lost quite a few inches, even though the scale had not moved one flippin' pound those two weeks. I kept up with it and now, almost 100 days into logging, I am at 201 lbs and consistently losing 1.5 to 2 lbs every week, and now fit into 16W pants. Take your measurements now, if you didn't at the beginning. You should notice the tape measure moving, even if the scale does not. Good luck!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    kahalaplum wrote: »
    Hello all
    Thanks for reading my post. I have been using MFP for a bit over 2 weeks now. After the first week and a half, I had lost a bit over 2 lbs but now I have added it back. I'm so confused! I work out hard on the elliptical everyday and log everything I eat. Most days I still have some calories left that I could eat but I don't. There have been a couple days that I have gone slightly over calories but then other days it's under the allotted amount.
    I am in antidepressants and scared I can't lose the weight because of it.
    I would greatly appreciate any input.
    Thank you so much

Weight fluctuates which is why you need to look at trends over time. You're not going to lose every week...you're going to lose...you're going to gain...you're not going to lose or gain, etc...two weeks isn't enough data to perform any kind of meaningful trend analysis.

At the start of this week I was 189...Wednesday I was 184...today I'm 187 and Thursdays are my official day to plot the data point...as a trend, I'm down about 3 Lbs in four weeks.