night time snacking...

Options
I need some advice. I watch my weight and excercise, count calories all day and feel satisfied with what i eat. However, when the sun goes down it is a different story! HELP! I don't know why I can't control myself. I don't binge or anything, but it's like the sun goes down and out comes the ice cream, chocolate, wine, crackers and whatever else. I feel like I am probably eating the same amount of calories after supper as I do all day. I feel like I am sabatoging any progress that I am trying to make. I only want to lose 10 lbs...at the least maintain my weight, but I often find myself pigging out at night. And then, every morning when I wake up I am back on track, eat good all day, tell myself that I "am not going to eat after 7pm"....then everynight I find myself reaching into the cereal box, or getting something. Any advice out there?

Replies

• ThaCookieMonster
    ThaCookieMonster Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    me too :( i would love to hear some advice....:flowerforyou:
  • Rebjones612
    Rebjones612 Posts: 408
    Options
    bump
  • Dokks
    Dokks Posts: 16
    Options
    I'm guessing you work outside of your house? If so, then it's easier to be good when those tempting snacks aren't ten steps away.
    I had to ask my wife not to buy the junk/snack stuff to help me get out of the habit of stopping in the kitchen during the commercial breaks!

Now she hides the kids pop-tarts so I don't have to see them! LOL

I might also add try having lots of fresh fruit handy. Bandannas, oranges, apples or grapes. And try eating those instead. Oranges are especially good as they are very high on the satiation scale, and low on the calories.
  • cjwolfjen
    cjwolfjen Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. Don't beat yourself up, just try to have very low calorie snacks that you can eat and drink more water. I like the Pop Secret popcorn its only 100 calories and its a lot, so you feel like you ate a lot and you feel pretty full. Or I'll eat a yogurt. Sometimes I'll force myself to do a little work out and by the time thats over I'm hot, tired, and just drink water, get a shower and go to bed which stops me from eating. I usually have about 500 calories in snacks after dinner which is sooo bad I can't stop myself. If you know that you can't control it, then try to eat even less all day and do a work out if you can, that way you have extra calories allowed for the late night snacking.
  • Jessaamine
    Jessaamine Posts: 111
    Options
    I think you're totally fine to eat, but if your choices are chocolate and wine, you're doomed. I mean seriously, who can turn that stuff down? Maybe get rid of the empty calories and stock up on cereals and fruits. Annnnd.... if you still need a junk food fix, try the Atkins Endulge bars. Pretty darn tasty ; )
  • XxBri22xX
    XxBri22xX Posts: 183
    Options
    You could always chew on a piece of gum, or grab a mint. Some people even say they chew on ice. I don't think you are exactly hungry, you just want food.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Don't buy them. I can NOT keep some things in the house because I will snack on them. If I had to get in the car and go get them then I won't.
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Maybe try adding more protein to your last meal of the day. That will help keep you full. It really doesn't matter what time you eat at night... it only matters WHAT you eat. I have snacks right before bedtime but are usually healthy fruits, nuts and the occasional dark chocolate. Do you eat 3 meals and 3 snacks each day? Spreading out your calories will help with any hunger cravings as well. I practically graze all day long, lol!
  • Nicole6281
    Nicole6281 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have found that if I eat more during the day and do smart pigging out, I am less likely to pig out at night. When I do get hungry art night, I try to go to bed to avoid food.
  • darlingdynamo
    Options
    You aren't alone. I was just going to post the same thing! I always screw my food choices at dinner... going good all day... go go go... then dinner is a bust. Stupid high calorie, no value foods. they get me everytime.
  • wildeone4
    wildeone4 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I find my body sometimes wants to do that, but I put in gum and just say no haha! I'm full too! What it comes down to is boredom. You keep busy during the day and at night take some down time! So drink water...chew gum...or do something to distract you! :) Also, you might wanna just stop buying sweets then you don't have that temptation! :)
  • stephanielynn76
    stephanielynn76 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I actually hoard my calories to account for my nightly "snack!" After dinner every evening (usually around 9pm) I have some PB2 (powdered peanut butter) mixed with a bit of the real stuff, slathered on wheat toast and topped with bananas and sprinkled cinnamon. This runs about 350+ calories. I love it and look forward to it all day. It has never interfered with my weight loss/maintenance. I think that "no eating late" rule is a myth...
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I am a night time snacker and what works for me is to have some protein at night. It seems to curb my need for junk.
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I could have written this original post...only I have so much more to lose.
  • arw060310
    arw060310 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Every time I get a nighttime craving for something, I drink a glass of water, and try to distract myself for a few minutes. After that I usually don't want it anymore.
  • gnomenapper
    Options
    I have the exact same issue. I used to make jokes about how I become a rabid food vampire at night. I literally would binge. It's taken a lot of work, but I'm slowly stopping my constant night snacking by not having snack foods in the house. If I want it, I have to cook it. That makes it more work and I stop and consider if I really do want to make something. I'm drinking a bunch more water and allowing myself 1/4 cup of almonds and/or fruit (my favorite combination is almonds and a green apple cut into bite size pieces) but I make sure it's small picky sorts that take me awhile to eat so I can snack away on something with nutrients and filling.

Good luck! You can beat this. *hug*
  • Taylormeints
    Taylormeints Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replys! Good posts and advice. I like the idea of eating more protein at night. I do have gum and sugar free candy and fruit around...and it's really not that i'm hungry, i just have no self control, haha! Ok, it's not that funny. To be honest, I can go on a couple month kick of eating good, staying on course, not nighttime snacking.....and then after a weekend, vacation, or what I like to call a "trigger food" It's like I slip back into this cycle of eating bad. I know if i just have enough control to stay on track for 7 days I can really get back on track, but even that is hard to do.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Late-night snacking is not automatically bad. What time do you go to bed? My doctor has told me to try & eat something with protein in it every 3 hours while I'm awake. That means I usually eat at 9 p.m. or even, sometimes, at midnight if I'm up late.

Just make sure you eat the right KINDS of calories if you're eating that late. No cookies or chips! Choose a hard-boiled egg or a cheese wedge instead. Why protein? Because carbs & starches & sugars give you a quick burst of energy, but you don't need that. You're going to bed, not working out. If you eat carbs when you're not active, they'll get stored as fat. But protein burns slowly & steadily, just enough to keep you going. It won't make your metabolism spike and then crash, like carbs will. And in order for your body to use protein for fuel it also has to burn fat. The chemical reaction requires 3 parts fat to 1 part protein. So if your body is getting plenty of protein, it will end up burning some of its stored fat.

Here's how my doctor explained it to me: if you eat supper at 6 p.m. and don't eat again 'til breakfast at 6 a.m., that's 12 whole hours your body goes without fuel. So at some point during the night, your body probably goes into fat-storing starvation mode. The point when this happens varies from person to person depending on their metabolism. But if you *do* eat protein before bed, and avoid long fasts, your body will toodle along at its normal metabolic rate all night, happily burning fuel AND FAT.
  • katloaf
    katloaf Posts: 26
    Options
    I love to snack after dinner too - I like to leave enough cals for a light hot chocolate or skinny shake (skim milk, ice, 1 tablespoon sugar free ice cream topping) so I can get rid of the sweet craving I always have.
  • Taylormeints
    Taylormeints Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, I also wanted to add that I usually have food that I wouldn't typically eat in the house for my husband...this is often the stuff I go after at night (peanut m&m's, potato chips, junk food)