Help! I need motivation

Options
lista10
lista10 Posts: 73 Member
What helps you be motivated to get up early in the cold morning to work out or do what ever? I'm always like ya I will tomorrow but then I'm to tired and to cold to want to get out of bed and work out! So I don't! Guys help I want to go but it's such a drag. I would do so much better if I had some one to go with that way I'm more willing to go!

Replies

• apolinarshamler
    apolinarshamler Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I play the music that I work out with. It pumps my up enough to get out of the bed at least.
  • Ant488
    Ant488 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me.
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I don't go all out on day 1, for each new thing I try. Creep up on your goals. Baby steps. Build a foundation of effort, and the desire to do it every day will build till it becomes a habit. You want fast results but will burn out before it shows results, cause you are asking the question that you are now. Tsk, tsk. Do the work.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I've learned to love exercise. I don't know how it happened because I used to not like it much or care, but I guess I started small with walking then hiking then at home exercises then going to the gym to lift weights and also now like running up & down big stair cases & doing sprint intervals... i truly find it fun & enjoyable!

I like to track my exercise and improve just a little more each time so it's a challenge and kind of like a game. If I was able to curl a 10 pound weight 10 times for 3 sets last time, can I maybe get 12 reps per set this time? Or do 1 more set? If I could do 8 push ups in a row yesterday can I do 9 today? If I went up and down the stairs on the hill by my house 5 times last week, can I do it 6 times this week? This way you're competing with yourself so you don't need a gym buddy.

I used to love staying in bed as long as I could, but now I love going to bed early so I can get up early and go do some exercise before work.
  • tmhdavis22
    tmhdavis22 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. I struggle with not wanting to get out of bed. So now I workout aa lunchtime. 30 minutes a day and I'm not sitting there over eating because I'm just sitting tthere at lunch....
    The only downfall no shower after sweating....
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I am afraid that in the very beginning you may just have to drag.. Once you keep doing this, it becomes habit..

Layout your workout gear at night. What ever your wake up routine is, change that to putting on your gear first and get the shoes laced up.. Usually if you get the gear on and shoes laced up, you will most likely continue with going on with your plan..

I officially get into my exercise groove when I put my ear phones on.. It works like a charm even if I am little tired and might not be feeling "it" that day.

I wake up at 5:00 a.m. every morning for my run.. In the beginning I was exercising mid morning, but it took about a month of repetive tries to make this a great habit.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Valrotha wrote: »
    Well, honestly, the knowledge that western civilization will collapse soon and the people who are in the worst shape are the ones that will probably die first.

You did say motivation not optimism, right? :)

you did say out of shape "probably would die first", but you really do not know if the fit people might go first.. so there is a 50/50 chance. try again.
  • Dan_NY_27
    Dan_NY_27 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    an alarm clock not next to your bed so you have to get up and turn it off
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Valrotha wrote: »
    Well, honestly, the knowledge that western civilization will collapse soon and the people who are in the worst shape are the ones that will probably die first.

You did say motivation not optimism, right? :)

Especially in a zombie virus plague. I only have to be faster than the slowest person in my group right? That's what inspired me to take up running.

@lista10, motivation waxes and wanes. Rather than looking for motivation work on building good habits and routines. There are certainly mornings when I wake up and think "No, I don't want to run this morning" then realize that I'm already opening the drawer with my running gear.
  • cindaj2010
    cindaj2010 Posts: 2 Member
    Options

A partner is always good! But I have one and still don't always go I'm so comfy and sleepy. So what I do alarm goes off and I get online on my phone scrolling through fb or whatever to kinda snap out of it lol then I get up up up an go ;)
  • ozkarpacheco
    ozkarpacheco Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Try to go bed a little bit earlier than usual and try dont use your phone or computer at les 15 minutes before go to sleep, so you will sleep better and in the morning you will be with a full charge
  • Mike_take2
    Mike_take2 Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    For me, I just remember why you want to do it in the first place. Having a clear cut , obtainable goal is another thing that has kept me going. I've lost over 180 pounds, but that was never my goal in the beginning. My initial goal was to eat healthier, by doing that I lost 50lbs. Then set my sights on 100, reached that and decided to do p90x , then insanity, then run a 5k, half marathon, full marathon,etc. once you start reaching goals, and have a mindset of why you're doing what you're doing...it becomes easier and addictive! Best of luck!
  • Cerealsensei
    Cerealsensei Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I remember my trip to the ER when my sugar spiked really high and thought I was about to cross over to the after life. Don't wanna re live that moment so I make sure I get up to workout so that won't ever happen again, so far so good.
  • jessicavburton
    jessicavburton Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    What kind of morning routine do you have? I have to get up because I have to get my kids up and ready, then take them to school. I get my gym bag all ready the night before and after I take the boys to school, I go straight to the gym. I'm already out, so that helps. Set small, achievable goals and then go for them! No excuses.
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Buy cute workout outfits and lay them out the night before.