How do YOU get over a plateau?

Options
2»

Replies

• Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I've been using a digital scale and never had a plateau. I'm really glad you bought one! Your problems are over :smile:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Typically, if you're 100% sure that you're eating at a deficit, you don't have to change anything and the weight will eventually come down. Most 'plateaus' of a couple weeks are just really your body retaining water (especially for women before their period).

But yeah.. you have to be 100% sure that you're eating at a deficit.
  • Spook_Skywalker
    Spook_Skywalker Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I've seen some good answers on here. Definitely use a food scale - there is a great thread on here called "Counting Calories 101" I think. We can be very inaccurate in our measurements and so can manufacturers.

As far as when I hit a plateaus (which I've had a few during my journey), I've usually done an intermittent 24 hour fast with my last meal being a bad one and then done low carb for a week. Every time I've done that I started losing again like normal. That's just what worked for me.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I "Plateau" all the time. "Plateau'd" for a couple weeks straight just last week.

But I would caution to say you've"plateau'd" when, it's only been a few weeks. A month? Maybe. Two months? Probably.

That said, it's going to be what works for you, which is going to take some time. Some people keep on keepin' on. And it works. Some people increase calories and it works.
  • JennieMaeK
    JennieMaeK Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I haven't had a plateau, if by plateau you mean no weight loss without knowing why. Any time I've not lost, or even gained, I was well aware of the reason why. Has there been times that my results don't seem to match my effort, sure, but it usually catches up in a week or two.

Being diligent helps. For me that means a food scare and being accurate with my diary. Although some of my entries may not look like it, I weigh almost all my solid food with a scale and measure liquids with measuring cups.

I think you'll see some results now that you have an accurate picture of what you're consuming.

Good luck.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I take a break for a day or two, eat whatever I want. Then come back to it fresh. Lyle MacDonald recommends this type of break. Has worked well for me breaking out of stalls.

Good point. After 115lbs with no breaks, it would be advised to take a week or 2 at maintenance then get going again!

Why should I take a break? Mentally, I'm still doing just fine with the diet and I've had zero plateaus or stalls. There is no reason for me to take a break. I think you're getting me confused with the OP. The OP was asking for plateau advise. I just mentioned the amount I've lost without a stall to demonstrate using a scale can be helpful. Why would you tell me to take a break when there is no current problem?

Apologies for confusing you with the OP. That being said, if you have been dieting for a prolonged period of time with no breaks, no matter whether you have stalled or not, it is beneficial and in fact recommended to take a diet break.

I highly advise reading the following;

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html/
  • Lindaendall
    Lindaendall Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Perhaps your body thinks it has lost enough - by looking at your profile picture you look pretty good and have lost a significant amount of body weight. I know you can't judge by looking at one photo but perhaps you just need to accept what your body is telling you and start working on maintenance.........which I have actually found harder than losing the weight in the first place!!!
  • Lindaendall
    Lindaendall Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Ooops - me again - sorry, I looked at the wrong profile pic, I looked at the poster below your original post. Sorry for the confusion.
  • emilysusana
    emilysusana Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Food scale helped me! I hear that eating at maintenance for a week or so can help reset things, too, if you're really stuck. I've done that by accident (a weekend trip or something) and I've been surprised to see the weight start to go down a bit after a few days back to reducing.
  • subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Eating more never helps. We just don't work like that. When I stall (I don't say plateau) for a few weeks I just remind myself and double check that I am doing it right, and sure enough I get a whoosh down at some point that corrects the lack of loss over the previous weeks.

If it didn't I would know that I was not having the deficit I thought I was.