Hi all........I am a newbie

Options
My name is Sheryl. I am so glad that I found this site, thanks to my friend Traci. I have been overweight since my teens years and have grown steadily heavier over the years. I have decided that I am going to start living a healthier life.
So, starting tomorrow I will be watching my calorie intake. I will be eating healthier and cutting down my portion sizes (my biggest problem.) I have very bad arthritis in my knees which has stopped me from doing any form of exercise. I basically just sit around all day long, except for the 2 days a week that I work. I will start trying to walk a little bit, even just a few minutes a day. Hopefully, I can work up from there.
I have a wonderful husband, 2 terrific sons and daughters in law and 5 amazing grandchildren. I want to be around a long time for them. At the rate I am going, I know I won't be.
So please stop by anytime and root me on. I will try to stay positive and maybe, I can even help motivate you!

Replies

• msnewbootie
    msnewbootie Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Welcome & Good Luck!!!
  • Cherylpie77
    Cherylpie77 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Cheryl.

I've only been using this site for a few weeks after deciding to start being good again and I've slowly been losing weight - around a pound a week. I'm not massively over weight but I have PCOS so it all just becomes a lot harder.
    I calorie counted before without using the cool little phone ap (it just took longer to work out the calories) and it really worked.
    I lost a stone and a half in about 9 months and I've been able to keep it off without too much effort.
    Calorie counting definately works and you can eat what ever you like - just smaller amounts, and if you have the cake at lunchtime, you know you have to have salad for tea. After a while you start to automatically know how many calories are in things and it all becomes second nature.

Just wanted to let you know that you've defiately made the right move and I wish you luck. xx
  • Rozziet
    Rozziet Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi!

Good luck with it and congratulations on taking that first step to doing something about it! Big hugs!

Ros
  • skinnyme47
    skinnyme47 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Welcome to My Fitness Pal! :smile:
  • sveltshel
    sveltshel Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Way to go, Sheryl! "The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." :flowerforyou:

My husband has been using this website since the beginning of the year and has lost over 60 lbs. I used a different one, and switched "65" days ago (a notice popped up this morning that I'd logged on 65 days in a row) and I really like it. We use it for food tracking and have apps on our phones. I'm hardly ever on the website like I am right now. Do you have a smart phone? If you do, download the app - it's a great way to stay on track no matter where you are. I'm down almost 9 lbs. They have a very extensive food database, even a lot of restaurants. You can check a food before you order it!

With your arthritis, maybe you should check out some of those fitness shows that you can do from a chair. I know there's one on PBS called "Sit and Be Fit", and I'm pretty sure there are some on cable - check "on demand" if you have it, or see if there's an exercise channel somewhere and perhaps you could record some of those shows. You could probably find some DVDs doing a quick search on the internet.

Best of luck to you!
    ~Shelly
  • Crazeecat5
    Options
    Wow.....thanks all for your kind words. I will be checking in every day (probably several times each day). Glad to see so many welcoming messages. Good luck to you all too........
    Great info about the exercise, Shelly. Thanks!
  • Crazeecat5
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    Had a great first day. Stayed under my calorie goal. Did a little exercise. I watched my portions and stopped eating when I was full. I would usually continue eating long after my full point because I liked what I was eating. I liked what I ate today but stopped myself.
  • lmvrbaby
    lmvrbaby Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi, I got this website from a male co-worker. I figured I would start using it and stop after awhile like I do with everything. I have logged on for 145 days now and down 21 pounds since starting. I started out with walking on breaks at work (15 minutes breaks) and then started doing zumba (20 minutes a night). I can now walk a mile in 13 minutes. When we are able to walk on lunch I do that also with a friend/cousin and we do 2.5 miles in 40 minutes. Not that I can bounce around doing zumba as I have bad knee pain, but I do what I can. I have had bunion surgery on both feet and was down 10 weeks for each foot but still managed to keep under calorie goal. Also, something I didnt do before, I started drinking water and unsweet tea, with splenda sweetener - all zero calories. Usually drinking these before eating helps not eating so much. If I like what I am eating I try not to make a lot extra of it cause you know its there and have to eat it.....that's how I was. We all are here to lose weight and make new friends. So welcome and hope to hear from you once in awhile. Good luck to everyone!
  • Crazeecat5
    Options
    Hi Lisa,
    Thanks for stopping by. What an inspirational story.