Don't know what to eat!

Options
2»

Replies

• TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    kslc73 wrote: »
    I've read so much contradicting information on diet that I really have no idea what I'm supposed to eat. Carbs? Protein? Wheat or not? Dairy? Rice? I'm so confused. The only thing everyone seems to agree on is that water is good!
    Those of you that have lost a bunch of weight, what did you eat and avoid? Help!

The MFP program isn't about dieting. It is about Calorie Deficit based on Calories In and Calories Out.

Just log ALL your food and ALL your exercise on the MFP chart, and see if you're under the suggested number of calories each day. If you're over, you can fix that with portion sizes rather than actually changing what you eat. Also you can look at which foods are adding the highest amount of calories and make a decision on those. Finally you can add more exercise if you find it difficult to reduce the amount of food.

Wishing you every success as you log your food and activity in the future.
  • izzie218
    izzie218 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Well.... When I was anorexic I eliminated every form of carb except certain low calorie fruits and veggies. I lost 35 pounds in 3 months when I was just 12 years old, and was classified as severely underweight.

As you can probably tell it was super unhealthy and I was almost hospitalized. So I think taking out a lot of carbs will help you lose weight, but not as much as I did. Trust me on this one.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    eat foods you like.. and spend 10 minutes a day researching nutrition and fitness . When you learn information it can naturally change your actions. Here's a few things i researched that translated into me eating much better without thought.

1. the best foods for heart health
    2. the foods on the non organic "dirty dozen" list
    3. why is exercise important for heart health?
    4. how much sugar should an adult woman have a day?
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options
    If you want to eat more food with fewer calories, it helps to go to simple basic foods: meat, vegetables, fruit, whole grains. The more processed a food is, the more calories it usually has, or if it has few calories (i.e. some frozen foods) it will not be very filling. Eating foods that fill you will help keep you satisfied, so less likely to eat too much.

Eating out will usually give you a lot of extra calories. (Some restaurant meals have a full day's worth of calories in one dish.)

Sweet drinks will give you a lot of extra calories, so watch out for what you drink as well as what you eat. (i.e. Starbucks).

• illusion2269
    illusion2269 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    ccjlgrider wrote: »
    You know, I was just as confused as you. What do I eat? Is this a protein or fat (peanut butter)? Is this a veggie or a carb (sweet potatoes)? It mattered to me because I wanted to figure this all out and how much of each type of food to eat. Then, about a month ago I stumbled onto 21 Day Fix by Beachbody and I feel like it is much clearer now. What I'm supposed to eat, how much of each thing I'm supposed to eat, etc. Yet, no food group is excluded. I lost just shy of 4 lbs my first 21 days. Then I've been doing maintenance on a Disney trip and I'm getting ready to start another round on Monday. I was happy with 4# because I only had 20 to lose total. Anyway, I know that contradiction/confusion feeling. You may want to look into it. I'm not a coach or anything. I just really think the program makes crystal clear sense and is sustainable in real life for those of us who didn't grow up learning this info.

Good luck!

Suggesting a diet plan is not helpful. OP I suggest you read some of the millions of threads on here and you will see a recurring theme; weight is controlled by calories in vs calories out. It really doesn't matter what you eat because a calorie is a calorie.
    ^This^

When I started here, I was just as confused as most people. I thought I had to cut out "bad foods" and only "eat clean" but I discovered its not about changing what I eat, as much as changing how I perceive nutrition overall. Losing weight for me was about changing my perspective of looking at food as good or bad, but about knowing what the food contains and how it will help my body continue to function. I lost 125 lbs and feel much better overall than I did when I started this journey. I still eat things like pizza, burgers, chinese takeout, drink beer and alcohol, and I have been maintaining for the past 8 months.

Best piece of advice I was given, get a food scale and weigh everything you eat. Know how much you are consuming, and log it as accurately as possible in the food diary. Let it do the math for you, and it will help you hit your goals. Good luck!
  • renae161
    renae161 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Yea, I don't really avoid so much I portion control. I mean if it's something I know I will go overboard with then I either strictly restrict how much I intake or don't have it at all. Drink lots of water, and if you're really unsure what to do and it's bothering you that much then I'd suggest going to your doctor to set you up with a nutritionist and weight management instructor, so you can get started on an goal and what to start you off on the right track. Best of luck!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP I took the approach of rather than arbitrarily restricting/eliminating certain foods, I would focus on adding things to my lifestyle instead. More lean protein, more vegetables, more whole grains, more exercise, more sleep. I found that by focusing on what I wanted to add, without cutting anything other than calories, I naturally reduced the space for "junk" foods but I still had room for reasonable portions of things like wine, chocolate, pizza, etc.

Find a balance of foods that provide you adequate nutrition (macro and micros), foods that provide you satiety (fill you up), and foods you enjoy (treats in moderation). Log consistently, honestly, and accurately. Be patient. That's it.
  • graceanthony19
    graceanthony19 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You know, I was just as confused as you. What do I eat? Is this a protein or fat (peanut butter)? Is this a veggie or a carb (sweet potatoes)? It mattered to me because I wanted to figure this all out and how much of each type of food to eat. Then, about a month ago I stumbled onto 21 Day Fix by Beachbody and I feel like it is much clearer now. What I'm supposed to eat, how much of each thing I'm supposed to eat, etc. Yet, no food group is excluded. I lost just shy of 4 lbs my first 21 days. Then I've been doing maintenance on a Disney trip and I'm getting ready to start another round on Monday. I was happy with 4# because I only had 20 to lose total. Anyway, I know that contradiction/confusion feeling. You may want to look into it. I'm not a coach or anything. I just really think the program makes crystal clear sense and is sustainable in real life for those of us who didn't grow up learning this info.

Good luck!

Suggesting a diet plan is not helpful. OP I suggest you read some of the millions of threads on here and you will see a recurring theme; weight is controlled by calories in vs calories out. It really doesn't matter what you eat because a calorie is a calorie.

Damn, you are really anti - beach body huh? lol and the poster didn't really suggest a diet plan. The OP asked for peoples opinions and this was ccjlgrider opinion on what worked for him/her.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Start by eating what you normally eat within your calorie goal (set up by Mfp).

Eventually you will learn what foods are worth eating occasionally.

Read the forums you will learn a ton!!!
  • kslc73
    kslc73 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I really appreciate your insights, and there is a very clear common thread on what works, so thanks for taking time to share.
  • eku0
    eku0 Posts: 10,146 Member
    Options
    If calories in/calories out isn't working for you, you may have food sensitivities. You may want to do some reading or seek professional help. Hormone Reset Diet was a good start for me.
  • rodeothedog
    rodeothedog Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I do not, not eat something.
    #1 log everything. I mean everything.
    #2 portion control. I don't weigh anything but I sure do count out my crackers etc.
    #3 fruits, veggies. When I grocery shop I cut and pack in sandwich bag for snacks
    #4 always leave room for a snack at night
    #5. When going out to eat. Eat that steak etc. I just order veggies instead of potatoe no butter and eat no bread
    #6 every couple weeks I have a fatter snack or meal some reason it jump starts my body.
    #7 Exercise is a must, if you can run. It literally melts off the fat and I have no more butt and great for inner and upper thighs
    #8 I only weigh weekly every morning same day naked
    #9 Do not eat processes good. I eat fat but no boxes things. Low fat not fat free is sometimes better due to sugar and sodium
    #10 I don't over think about each category of carbs, protein, fat. I mainly try to keep my carbs down protein high. I don't worry about fat intake as much. But I do not stress about. Just stay within your calorie rangs
  • jaciesub
    jaciesub Posts: 3 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    My approach was finding out how many calories I was able to eat in a day, based off of my intensity/frequency of workouts. I like http://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/ as a tool for that. Try to make it such that you can eat as many calories as possible while still losing weight to avoid metabolism problems in the future. Stay away from food that is fake 80% of the time. Try to get 30g of fiber in every day. Possibly start with a food journal and record how you feel after you eat. For example, I found my body hates whey, so I switched protein powders, and green peppers make my stomach hurt. Don't be afraid of carbs, you need them to smash your workouts. More muscle= a higher bmr.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    In the words of Michael Pollan, "Eat Food, Not Too Much, Mostly Plants..." Not a rule, more of a loose guideline. After that, build your diet via goals and personal preference...
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    izzie218 wrote: »
    Well.... When I was anorexic I eliminated every form of carb except certain low calorie fruits and veggies. I lost 35 pounds in 3 months when I was just 12 years old, and was classified as severely underweight.

As you can probably tell it was super unhealthy and I was almost hospitalized. So I think taking out a lot of carbs will help you lose weight, but not as much as I did. Trust me on this one.

No, just no.

No need to take out carbs.

Good luck!
    1. veggies ARE carbs.
    2. Both protein and fats are important, as are carbs
    3. 21DF....Nope. Not necessary. Quick fix.
    4. You're not 'supposed' to eat/not eat anything.
    5. Any diet you have to do several rounds of is not sustainable
    6. There are foods excluded on the 21DF. How does this teach a healthy relationship with food itself and no cause orthorexia?

• monicaamy902
    monicaamy902 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    For me, I love going Paleo! I cut out all the things that I binge on when I am paleo. I always lose weight when I go Paleo. I also find that food tastes way better because it's not processed and is as close to coming from the earth as possible. I feel better, more awake in the afternoon, I sleep better, and feel good about everything I eat. I am back on it again and am loving the taste of food, and have lost 2 lbs this week (I just started Monday).
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    In the words of Michael Pollan, "Eat Food, Not Too Much, Mostly Plants..." -- a pretty good guideline!

Some foods are indeed better for us than others. There are things that are downright unhealthy but they are fewer if you stay away from the processed food aisles. They basically fall into the following categories:
    =anything containing transfats
    =things that are overladen with simple starches and sugars but little fiber
    =things that are overladen with sodium

With this in mind, a sweet potato with butter and a sprinkle of cinnamon and sugar is "better for you" than the same number of calories of PopEyes Cajun fries. A sweet potato has more vitamins, anti-oxidants, and fiber than a white potato. Butter, though a saturated fat which you should limit, is better than the hydrogenated oils used by PopEyes that are laden with transfats. And PopEyes fries are salty. A regular size is 570mg sodium, a large is 1700mg! That's more than the American Heart Association recommends an adult consume per day!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I've lost a bunch of weight (100 something lbs so far). I eat all the foods I like and avoid all the foods I don't like while staying within my calorie budget. That's about as complicated I'm willing to let my food choices get. The only foods I cut out were the foods that I didn't really like, but ate anyway.

Now to make dieting more comfortable I had to play with the amount and frequency of eating certain things. If I ate nothing but cheesecake within my calories I would still lose weight, but I would be pretty hungry and miserable, and it would not be very nutritious. Similarly, if I ate nothing but "diet foods", I would not be happy. I reduced the quantity of some foods (like oil), increased the quantity of some others (like vegetables), reduced the frequency of heavier foods (like french fries), and a combination of reduced quantity and frequency (like nuts). The things that were already fine quantity and frequency-wise (like ice cream) I did not change.

How you go about that is up to you, you will pick up a few personal tricks as you lose weight.
    This.