Struggling to be consistent

Options
I've been struggling on and off for a few years. I have bipolar disorder (not trying to make it an excuse but it is a hindrance) and I love fitness. Once I get going it gets easier every day and I want to do it more. The problem is with work and life I always slip, one way or another. And once I slip it gets easier to skip and finding the motivation is hard. My depression acts like a lead lined coat, making it hard to want to get started again. I know if I just try and keep at it for a couple weeks I can get back into it but I never do. I guess I'm just hoping for some advice. Maybe a group to join or something you recommend to get back on track. I have to workout from home, money is tight right now and I don't have means to get to a gym. When I went to a gym this was a lot easier lol. I don't drive so I would be stuck there with nothing to do but work out. At home it's too easy to pick up a controller and tune out to a game instead. Any advice?

Replies

• Aud66
    Aud66 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Accept you are going to slip no one is perfect. Doesn't mean we stop trying. I also work out at home it can be a bit lonely, that's where the community here can be a help. I've just discovered it, still learning the ropes but I think this community is a great idea.
  • GoldnRampion
    GoldnRampion Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I totally understand. I have several immediately family members diagnosed with bipolar and although I'm not manic depressive, I do seem to have inherited larger than average mood swings that are very similar in nature to my family's.
    1. I've noticed being consistent with a healthy diet and exercise helps to stabilize my highs and lows. Remembering that, esp. When I'm trending low is sometimes all the motivation I need.
    2. Joining one of the challenge groups on here is really helpful for social support. Knowing people were counting on me helped me come back from a slip-up just recently.
    3. Unless the environment forces otherwise, finding a running buddy for fee for a free outdoor workout is a great idea.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Any chance you are making it tougher than it needs to be? Can you reduce your deficit to slow down the process and improve the likelihood of sticking with it? My goal weight is only 0.5lb /week and I don't always make it. I'm not particularly consistent but I'm persistent and that's enough. It took me over a year to lose 30lbs, but I feel like it will never be back. Losing slowly has been a game changer for me.
  • CommanderEmily
    CommanderEmily Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Any chance you are making it tougher than it needs to be? Can you reduce your deficit to slow down the process and improve the likelihood of sticking with it? My goal weight is only 0.5lb /week and I don't always make it. I'm not particularly consistent but I'm persistent and that's enough. It took me over a year to lose 30lbs, but I feel like it will never be back. Losing slowly has been a game changer for me.

I'm okay with the idea of losing slowly. Any progress is good progress to me. Though, most days I don't meet the calorie goal. Unless I dine out or having a really crappy day where my food options weren't good, I usually stay under the calorie goal easily. I used to have a harsher calorie goal and other than not liking it I never noticed a weight change. That's one of my biggest demotivators, when I can stick with it I don't see the scale budge much. I worked out 5 days a week for 4 months at a local gym for a few hours every day after work. I was smart about it, there were on floor trainers there to help give advice and etc when needed. Even did a counseling session exploring the science behind weight loss and building muscle. It was wonderful. I felt fantastic those four months. But the scale barely budged. My weight just went up and down in the same small range. At the end of it, I was still the same weight and hadn't lost an inch around my waist. I had left the job that made it easy to get to the gym and quit. So at this point, I'm focusing less on the big goals and more about habits. I want to make healthy habits and not focus on my weight. That way when I eventually go see a doctor, we can address whatever underlying issues I am having (that corrupt the process) and treat those. If the good practices are already in place, it will help.
  • CommanderEmily
    Options
    I totally understand. I have several immediately family members diagnosed with bipolar and although I'm not manic depressive, I do seem to have inherited larger than average mood swings that are very similar in nature to my family's.
    1. I've noticed being consistent with a healthy diet and exercise helps to stabilize my highs and lows. Remembering that, esp. When I'm trending low is sometimes all the motivation I need.
    2. Joining one of the challenge groups on here is really helpful for social support. Knowing people were counting on me helped me come back from a slip-up just recently.
    3. Unless the environment forces otherwise, finding a running buddy for fee for a free outdoor workout is a great idea.

I've had some trouble with the challenges page, nothing appears. I don't know how to join one. I was thinking similarly that it would be a motivator.

I'm a little worried about running. I have very little success when I've tried to use a treadmill. I like the idea of it, and I keep downloading and Uninstaller that couch to 5k app. I'm worried about my heart defect (bicuspid aortic valve with regurgitation) and my knee isn't doing so hot. Knee I could get a brace for but until I atleast have a heart rate monitor running kinda scares me. I used to run Track in school and we thought I had asthma until a doctor heard the defect by accident. That and it's a lot of jiggling in public :s any advice about getting started in that? I don't even know how to start for when I feel safe to try.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options

I'm okay with the idea of losing slowly. Any progress is good progress to me. Though, most days I don't meet the calorie goal. Unless I dine out or having a really crappy day where my food options weren't good, I usually stay under the calorie goal easily. I used to have a harsher calorie goal and other than not liking it I never noticed a weight change. That's one of my biggest demotivators, when I can stick with it I don't see the scale budge much. I worked out 5 days a week for 4 months at a local gym for a few hours every day after work. I was smart about it, there were on floor trainers there to help give advice and etc when needed. Even did a counseling session exploring the science behind weight loss and building muscle. It was wonderful. I felt fantastic those four months. But the scale barely budged. My weight just went up and down in the same small range. At the end of it, I was still the same weight and hadn't lost an inch around my waist. I had left the job that made it easy to get to the gym and quit. So at this point, I'm focusing less on the big goals and more about habits. I want to make healthy habits and not focus on my weight. That way when I eventually go see a doctor, we can address whatever underlying issues I am having (that corrupt the process) and treat those. If the good practices are already in place, it will help.

I also changed my focus from the scale to good habits. It took the pressure off, which is what I needed.

To sneak in on the conversation about couch to 5k, it's a great program but you definitely don't need to run to lose weight. It sounds to me like there are far safer ways for you to get some exercise in. Brisk walks come to mind. What did you do at the gym for those 4 months?

Also, not sure if you would be similar, but I have mostly given up participating in challenges. I was overly upset with myself when I couldn't complete something in a group setting. For that matter, I turned off most of my notifications too. I have a pretty decent login streak going atm, but found myself overly emotional about the public loss of a streak in the past.

Go easy on yourself. I am certain that if you stick with it the scales will eventually budge. In the meantime you can be proud of those good habits.

• CommanderEmily
    Options

I also changed my focus from the scale to good habits. It took the pressure off, which is what I needed.

To sneak in on the conversation about couch to 5k, it's a great program but you definitely don't need to run to lose weight. It sounds to me like there are far safer ways for you to get some exercise in. Brisk walks come to mind. What did you do at the gym for those 4 months?

Also, not sure if you would be similar, but I have mostly given up participating in challenges. I was overly upset with myself when I couldn't complete something in a group setting. For that matter, I turned off most of my notifications too. I have a pretty decent login streak going atm, but found myself overly emotional about the public loss of a streak in the past.

Go easy on yourself. I am certain that if you stick with it the scales will eventually budge. In the meantime you can be proud of those good habits.

I followed a pretty good plan. I always walked to the gym, stretched. Started with muscle workouts, ended with cardio. I rotated what I focused on and made sure not to overdo it. When things would get easy to do, I'd gradually increase the difficulty. I love exercise. I felt amazing and good about myself when I got into the swing of it. Before I gave up I had been planning to join a beginners indo-row class. I'm disappointed I quit but I couldn't get to the gym anymore because I changed jobs and I don't drive. I can't afford to go now even if I wanted to, unfortunately.
    Which makes it hard because there's almost no space to exercise in my house and the area that can reasonably accommodate some of it is the living room. I can get over strangers looking at me. At the gym we are all there for the same thing. In my living room, I've heard cracks that I sound like Darth Vader.

I got extremely discouraged once when I failed to log in for a few days and MFP sent a notification about not bothering me. It sounded passive agressive. I'd like to try a challenge, but I've noticed there's a disproportionate number of d-bags on here often. I want something beginner friendly and supportive if I did try one.
  • SarahKay716
    SarahKay716 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    This is like reading a journal written by me...I too am bipolar and my motivation goes in waves. Some weeks I'm more driven and active then ever. And other weeks it's almost like something in me wants to do everything I'm not supposed to do fitness/health wise as almost an act of rebellion or just being plain tired of failing at my health goals. It's so helpful to have someone in the same boat. Please add if you want another buddy for motivation! Would be happy to help and exchange ideas!
  • Jackie_Paper
    Jackie_Paper Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I do a thing where i force myself to put in shoes and say "just go for a walk...even if its just ten minutes" then my brain thinks ok cool well we can just be lazy about this but by then im already outsidr walking and ten minutes hits and im having a good time so itlls turn into an hour or so...maybe walking around outdoors would help w the distractions and if its sunny out could life your mood a lil. I know it does help me, i get very angry/frustrated /anxious/sad/restless/unable to focus every day, i shift from all these emotions very quickly and back again, but the walking OUTDOORS always helps to give a little reboot, even if i am just in my neighborhood looking at all the same houses go by
  • Jackie_Paper
    Jackie_Paper Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Sorry for all my spelling fails, my phone is very glitchy.
  • pdo27789
    pdo27789 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    My wife is bipolar too. It does pose challenges that many here will not be able to relate to ...

One thing thing that works for her is step bet. Weather she's on a high or a low, she's cheap and doesn't want to lose the investment (50$ I believe).
    When on a high she'll go for her pokemon walks for an hour+. When on a low, she'll do high steps while watching tv.

Good luck.
  • CommanderEmily
    Options
    pdo27789 wrote: »
    My wife is bipolar too. It does pose challenges that many here will not be able to relate to ...

One thing thing that works for her is step bet. Weather she's on a high or a low, she's cheap and doesn't want to lose the investment (50$ I believe).
    When on a high she'll go for her pokemon walks for an hour+. When on a low, she'll do high steps while watching tv.

Good luck.

Wow, that is an interesting idea I will have to look into. I was doing this lazy thing where I force myself to go to the gym and I would get on a cardio machine and tune out the stuff on netflix. Met my low habits as well as my attempts to exercise. Made it less daunting to leave the house if I ignore people and am distracted with my depression's second favorite activity which is zoning out. Trying to find an alternative for at home.
    It's nice to know someone else who can relate even from an outside view. My partner still struggles to understand why some days it's hard enough just getting up.