Alcohol yay or nah??

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Anything with calories that you cut out will make a difference. But I still say yay to alcohol. It's worth the calories to me.
  • sarahlovesfood25
    sarahlovesfood25 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Why is it when i scan a bottle of v-kat its saying 124calories per 100ml, im confused, but if ur saying its 234calories then im still wivin my limit ;)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Why is it when i scan a bottle of v-kat its saying 124calories per 100ml, im confused, but if ur saying its 234calories then im still wivin my limit ;)

Virtually all the entries for alcohol were created by your fellow users so some of them may be in error (not saying this one is, but some of them are). Always worth double-checking before relying on it, especially for calorie-dense items or things you consume often.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options

The database is user-created and user-maintained. If you scan a food that's not in the database, you have to enter the nutrition information yourself to create it. It's entirely possible someone entered the calorie information wrong the first time they scanned in what you're drinking. I'm not even sure how something like that gets created, given that alcohol doesn't have calorie info on the bottle.

Usually with liquor I search for something generic. Vodka, tequila, whiskey, etc. isn't going to vary much brand to brand. I also use generic entries for wine, but I try to search for approximate ABV. Beer is a bit easier as some beers do publish their nutrition information, so I'll log the brand. If I'm drinking a local craft lager that's about the same ABV as Budweiser I'll log it as a Bud. It may not be 100% accurate, but it's close enough that I never had any issues.
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    alcohol? yes or no? a resounding YES! :P but those craft beers at 600 calories a glass...sheesh..that wrecks a day in a heartbeat.
  • sarahlovesfood25
    Options
    Thats y i drink spirits lol its less calories :)
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Tomk652015 wrote: »
    alcohol? yes or no? a resounding YES! :P but those craft beers at 600 calories a glass...sheesh..that wrecks a day in a heartbeat.

Try a Unibroue beer. Racks up the calories pretty quick.

But then it is 750ml and 8% :)
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    If it fits in my day, YES. I have 1630 to use and some days, even with a beer/wine I get to 1250. It can be done if you want to make it happen!
  • liftorgohome
    liftorgohome Posts: 25,455 Member
    Options
    I love my heinekin, 0 fat but has empty calories that I have to burn off or add into my diet. Lost 26lbs looking to cut 10-15 more.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    It just depends on how you prefer to use your calories.
    If the alcohol fits your calorie goal then it isn't an issue for weight loss to drink it.
    If you cut calories from alcohol and use the calories for more food it is the same calorie count but you might get more nutrition. That might help some people particularly if their calorie goal is on the lower side.
    If you drop the alcohol but don't use those calories for food then you have a larger calorie deficit. Could be fine but could also be negative if you start losing too fast.

I don't like drinking my calories- not alcohol, juice, smoothies or milk. Drinking calories doesn't satisfy me. It isn't a big sacrifice to me to skip alcohol because I never cared about it.
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    grmckenzie wrote: »
    Tomk652015 wrote: »

Try a Unibroue beer. Racks up the calories pretty quick.

But then it is 750ml and 8% :)

i had two devils milks last night i didn't log :P 10%abv and like 700ish cals each.
  • sarahlovesfood25
    Options
    Thank u everyone for commenting i like to hear how others use their calories aswell
  • KeepTheFaith9
    KeepTheFaith9 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Easy to fit Sailer Jerry and Diet Coke into my plan, harder be disciplined with food after a couple of drinks. That's my biggest issue when I drink.
  • emilysusana
    emilysusana Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    For me giving up alcohol was vital, but I like to drink and one drink would always lead to another, so I had trouble keeping it within my calorie limits. I do hope that after a long dry period (I'm going for 6 months) I can try to add back the celebratory glass or two of wine, but I am hesitant. I know how well I'm doing without it, and I know how poorly I did before, so unless I can actually go in with a different relationship to alcohol, I know I'm better off without it. But, as others have said, this is me, and you are you.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Everything in moderation is good for you unless you have allergies.

Try telling that to meth addicts.
  • chezinkflo
    chezinkflo Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Im always hungry but wen i drink i dont get hungry or want snacks whereas i no most ppl do, i have about 3-4 drinks when i do drink and its only around 100-200 calories

1oz of vodka is 64 calories. Most shot glasses are 1.5oz. 4 shots would be 384 calories.

I agree, but I don't have anywhere near the size of a regular shot.
  • chezinkflo
    Options
    I sometimes wonder if its better then pigging out on food/snacks that r full of sugar and high calories

Okay, but the options aren't limited to "drink" or "pig out on snacks." If your drinks are 100-200 calories, you could use those calories for the same amount of food (if you wanted), not on "pigging out." And the snacks would help you meet your nutritional needs, which alcohol doesn't do (not trying to talk you out of drinking, just pointing it out).

Alcohol is enjoyable, I drank it when I was losing weight, but it's still important to meet your body's need for nutrients.

I totally agree, but I eat good wholesome meals, with loads of veg and salad and most days I have calories to spare so I have a glass of wine and I feel great about my eating plan. It's the main reason I won't need to give up on it.
  • jprewitt1
    jprewitt1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Everything in moderation is good for you unless you have allergies.

Try telling that to meth addicts.

pk455.gif
  • chezinkflo
    Options
    How many ml is 5oz

• chezinkflo
    Options
    I do drink and I am losing weight, but for me it depends on the day.

Say I have 200 calories left in a day. I can either have a glass of wine, a small bowl of ice cream, or a whole apple with a wedge of laughing cow and a few crackers. Depends what kind of "hungry" it is. If I'm not actually hungry and the wine hits the spot, great. If I'm actually wanting food though, apple and cheese it is. Needing a treat? Ice cream.

I'm getting better at learning what satisfies me when and how to make it fit in my life.

Totally makes sense to me. I think the reason that most people fail with eating regimes is that they restrict every little thing they like. A small treat now and then is a boost for me, and as I still lose about 1 lb a week even with the small glass of wine, I'm happy.