Night eating weight gain!

Options
sweethart76
sweethart76 Posts: 7 Member
edited October 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I've been out of work for months so I sleep a lot during the day and at night I be up watching Tv eating junk food! After I eat it I feel horrible could depression be making me binge at night?

Replies

• DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    Try to "close the kitchen" after a certain time and don't practice mindless eating. Plan out your meals in a log book if that helps. It will be tough at first to break the habit of eating at night, but you will drop a lot of calories and won't regret it.

The other option would be to plan to eat at night but budget the calories in to your daily calorie goal.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I don't want to sound insensitive because I'm not actually. But the way you've posed the question it sounds like you're wondering whether to delegate the eating responsibility to staying up nights or to having deptession.
    Why not realise that it is something you actually have power over and can change? Wouldn't that make you feel better and stronger?
    I stay nights too. When I do I just move my meal pattern along with me. Maybe try something of the sort?

Also I don't divide food to junk and other. I'm from the moderation team.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this would help. But I've been doing intermittent fasting this past week. I only eat for any 8 hour period I choose..and then fast for the rest.
    The strange thing is.. since starting this last week.. I have not taken a bite of one thing outside of my 8 hour eating period. I thought it would be difficult. But it isn't. Maybe you should try it... Choose your own eating period. Maybe make it it at night when you're up..and try to eat more healthy foods.

I eat at 12:30 every day until 8:30 p.m.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Try IF, if you eat at night, eat less in the day.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    You most likely are sleeping most of the day because your up most of the night. Make yourself get up, get dressed, and get out. and Do something, take a walk, ride a bike if you have one. Keep up with your appearance and keep putting in job applications. If you keep going the way you are then if you aren't depressed you most certainly will get there.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    If you sleep all day when you are not tired, perhaps to avoid dealing with things in the real world due to your circumstance, and then staying up at night eating outside of your normal diet and perhaps gaining weight as a result, I would say its something, a clinical diagnosis for depression would need to come from you doctor or professional..

I do get that you are up at night because you sleep all day, but all this takes is for you to reverse your sleep patterns back to the way they were when things were normal.

I do believe that if your situation is "bigger" than you, time to ask for help.. and perhaps not from strangers on the internet, but true professionals that can help you find a way to cope and move forward in your situation.
  • Lindaendall
    Lindaendall Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    You need to make your self 'busy' during that hours you would normally be a work to maintain a proper lifestyle. Join any groups that are free (I understand money could be tight if you are not in work), do voluntary work or help out in a charity shop (and grab some bargains), be a helper at the hospital.....loads of options to keep you busy and out of bed. Easier said than done I know. I am retired now but still try to keep busy during daytime hours to prevent me turning into a napping settee pensioner.

Good luck in your journey.