Do you believe in "Calorie Math"?

Options
I keep track of my eating and exercise on MFP to have a general idea how many calories I eat and how much exercise I do but I have to be honest. I don't believe the calorie numbers are very accurate -- especially for exercise calories. I also take the idea that you can work calories off in the gym with a great grain of salt. For sure, working out helps you maintain your weight but I doubt that you can work off 3500 excess calories and thereby lose exactly one pound. And I especially doubt that you can work out an exact one-for-one exchange of a gym exercise for some food indulgence.

Trackers are valuable. They can keep you motivated and perhaps give you a way to compare one workout to another as long as they are on the same machine using the same calorie measurement device. But I think the idea that they are anything more than rough measures is just nuts.

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,198 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is all about CI <CO.

If you want to lose weight, you need to eat less than you're burning.

If you enter your information into MFP, and select sedentary as your activity level, MFP will give you a number of calories to consume which includes a deficit appropriate for the amount of weight you've selected to lose each week (i.e. 1 lb/week)

Any exercise you do will increase the deficit.

Now, the number of calories burned during exercise is indeed an estimate, and many calorie counters over estimate that amount. That is why the recommendation is to log your exercise, but then to eat approx. half of your exercise calories back.

I also tend to choose the "slow/light" option even if I feel like I walked or cycled fast and put in a really good effort. And I'll round my time down a little bit.

Works for me! :)
  • michael_hatten
    michael_hatten Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I agree that eat less, exercise more works. I've lost 35 pounds this year following that not very complex formula. What I'm pushing back on is obsessing on the numbers. They aren't that accurate and it can make you nuts.
  • law102189
    law102189 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have tried many diets over the years looking for an easy magic bullet. I lost weight, but gained it back as soon as I started to eat normally. I finally gave into the reality that the magic bullet is CI/CO. This is not a new theory, but the availability of apps like MFP makes it so much easier to do now. I agree with other posts that exercise calories may not be 100% accurate, even with my Vivosmart HR, so I try not to eat back all of my exercise calories. There must be truth to it; I've lost 50 since January and don't even feel deprived or like I've been dieting, probably because I'm not. I've just changed my relationship with food and exercise.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,198 Member
    Options
    I agree that eat less, exercise more works. I've lost 35 pounds this year following that not very complex formula. What I'm pushing back on is obsessing on the numbers. They aren't that accurate and it can make you nuts.

1) I have lost 55 lbs this time using CI<CO
    2) Any time over the past 30 years that I've wanted to lose a little bit of weight, I've used CI<CO ... because it works.
    3) I like numbers and data. It's what I do. I've been logging my cycling since April 29, 1990. I've been logging my food on and off since about 1984.

While I like to be reasonably accurate with things like distance cycled, I know, and have known since about 1984, that calories are hard to determine accurately ... and really, they don't need to be determined absolutely accurately. For weight loss, as long as you're reasonably sure that the amount you're consuming is less than the amount you're burning, you're good. And you know you've got it right because you will lose weight.

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    In my opinion it has its uses and should be viewed as a tool.
    With that said, my clients don't count calories to get to their goals.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    MFP gives one a tool to collect data.
    One starts with the numbers MFP, other online calculators, and step/ movement/ HRM devices one chooses to use and then extracts ones personal data from the results one receives.

I don't think any average calculation can give an individual exact results, but the more accurate information one can extrapolate from an imperfect system, the more one can succeed.

I didn't take the numbers with a grain of salt, I tracked them and worked out the calories I personally need when a book worm, when doing 60min cardio, and when lifting weights.
    I can easily adjust my intake over the week to make sure I am at least adequately fueled for my activity level.

It takes a bit of work at the beginning, but after 6 years of maintaining within a 5 lbs range, I have found it successful and non intrusive on my daily life.

As a non-numbers person, I have found knowing my own numbers, and working with them, works.

Cheers, h.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    The numbers may not be accurate but if you are consistent then the inaccuracies of intake and expenditure are equaled out over time. CICO is the only maths that is certain.
  • deannaaaaaaaaa
    deannaaaaaaaaa Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Yes. Overestimate calories in, underestimate calories out. Easy peasy.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Absolutely, I am a firm believer in CICO. But there are a few things to consider
    1. Exercise calories can be over estimates
    2. Statistically, calories in tends to be under estimated, even with a food scale and even with trained professionals
    3. And people fail to use a feedback system; meaning, you should reevaluate your calorie position based on actual results after 4-6 weeks. This is how I know, my estimated average maintenance is around 3k.

The biggest problems on MFP are, 1. inaccurately tracking calories (no food scales and bad entries), 2. inconsistent in their tracking (not logging daily or completely) and 3. putting too much trust in online calculators which can't take into consideration real life variables.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    For sure, working out helps you maintain your weight but I doubt that you can work off 3500 excess calories and thereby lose exactly one pound.

Is it the end of the world if you burn 3,501 calories instead?
  • FernRunner
    FernRunner Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Yes. I'm a believer. It's not easy to be exact, but the process is not a mystery. I also err on the side of caution and overestimate my calories in, underestimate my calories burned.
    My attention and consistency are my biggest assets when losing weight. If I get out of the habit of logging, of truly paying attention, THAT'S when I have issues.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Expending more calories than one consumes leads to an energy deficit. It really is that simple, basic physics.

I agree with your point about obsessing on the numbers. The range of people who seem to think that instrumentation used inappropriately can give them meaningful data is immense, including those who should know better.

The main thing is looking at results on an enduring basis, testing and adjusting as required.

I would add that I'm not a strong advocate of exercise as a method of calorie management. Train for fitness and to meet performance objectives, and eat to a calorie goal. Keep the two discrete.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Yes I believe in the maths but there's no need for absolute accuracy at all - a trend over time is all you need.

I used the estimates from a budget Polar FT7 HRM for my cardio when I was losing weight and those estimates were probably out by 20%, didn't stop me losing weight.
    I also used food scales sparingly and sporadically - again didn't stop me losing weight.
    I'm now a long term maintainer and don't bother logging food at all.

None of that takes away from the "Calorie Math".
    Consistency and the common sense to make adjustments based on results is far more important than agonising over accuracy.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Trackers are valuable. They can keep you motivated and perhaps give you a way to compare one workout to another as long as they are on the same machine using the same calorie measurement device. But I think the idea that they are anything more than rough measures is just nuts.

I agree with this. Sure the math works but all trackers are based on averages and will likely be 100% accurate for very few people. We don't all absorb the same number of calories for same foods, and we don't all burn the same calories even if we are the same size.

But, trackers and calculators are a decent starting point. You just have to apply common sense and adjust as needed.
  • michael_hatten
    michael_hatten Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I would add that I'm not a strong advocate of exercise as a method of calorie management. Train for fitness and to meet performance objectives, and eat to a calorie goal. Keep the two discrete.

Ultimately that became my philosophy, too.

1. Diet for your arteries
    2. Do cardio for the heart
    3. Do stretches for mobility
    4. Do resistance training for functional strength

CDC provides pretty good guidance on how much to do. The weight kind of takes care of itself.

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    The calorie math gave me a baseline for deficit. That said I think much of the exercise and food database calorie estimates are off. At best many are wild guesses and it you have been at this awhile you can spot the ones that are way off. I never choose the least calorie estimate for the food I am eating and never pick the highest calorie burn for the exercise I am doing. Seems to work for me.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    It is impossible to pinpoint, to a single 4 digit number, every single day, exactly how many calories an individual takes in as well as how many calories they are burning.

The good news is that you don't have to pinpoint, to a single 4 digit number, every single day, exactly how many calories an individual takes in and how many they burn. In order to be successful with whatever your weight goals are, it is critical to know how the fundamental energy balance works (CICO), and determine a reasonably accurate estimate for yourself within a certain acceptable range using a variety of tools at your disposal. These tools may be a food scale to help with CI accuracy, it may be a HRM to help with CO accuracy, it may be a TDEE calculator like Scooby's site provides, it may be just tracking individual results over a period of time and doing some basic math.

None of that invalidates the "Calorie Math" as that applies whether you choose to measure and track it or not.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Yes, it is all about CI <CO.

If you want to lose weight, you need to eat less than you're burning.

If you enter your information into MFP, and select sedentary as your activity level, MFP will give you a number of calories to consume which includes a deficit appropriate for the amount of weight you've selected to lose each week (i.e. 1 lb/week)

Any exercise you do will increase the deficit.

Now, the number of calories burned during exercise is indeed an estimate, and many calorie counters over estimate that amount. That is why the recommendation is to log your exercise, but then to eat approx. half of your exercise calories back.

I also tend to choose the "slow/light" option even if I feel like I walked or cycled fast and put in a really good effort. And I'll round my time down a little bit.

Works for me! :)

This!!

It worked for me! I lost 42 pounds and have been maintaining it for 7 months now. Yes, calories burned are an estimate so just make sure they are conservative.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Do I "believe" in math? Yes, I have a degree in Electrical Engineering.
    Do I know that that the calories I take in and the calories I burn have and effect on my weight and fitness? Yes.

CI<CO to lose, CI>CO to gain.

If someone does not want to "believe" that then it makes me think:

1. They don't understand how math works.
    2. They are hoping to eat as much of X as desired and never gain weight.
    3. They are hoping for a magic pill that will do the work for them without exercise.

It is almost impossible for the average person to out-train a bad diet so CI definitely matters.

"Calorie Math" matters. What does not matter is if someone wants to "believe" in it or not.

Estimate your intake on the high side and under-estimate your calories burned if you want, but it matters.

No, there is currently no way to get the absolute numbers needed to gain, lose, maintain, whatever but that is not the point.
    This is long-term averages, not day-to-day changes.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Yes, our estimations of CI are just that, though you can get pretty darn good at it with the right measuring techniques.

Yes, our estimations of CO are just that, although with respect to exercise and calorie expenditure there are certain exercises that you can estimate with much better reliability than others - often manually with a formula as the activity trackers may calculate gross calories rather then net, and/or rely on HR which is not a good estimate of actual work done, and/or rely on # of steps or distance or speed that may not be accurate.

In addition, the weight we lose is generally not 100% fat, so the notion that it is accurate to say you 'burn 3500 cals and lose exactly 1lb' is flawed from the get-go. Plus, the notion that 3500 cals == 1 lb of fat is, once again, an estimate.

But, still, "calorie math" in the sense of "get CI < CO and you will lose fat over time" works. "Calorie math" in the sense of "My estimated TDEE is 1700 and my estimated CI is 1200 so I will lose exactly 1lb of fat every week" does not work as an absolute statement.