Make-ahead breakfast ideas?

Options
I eat cereal for breakfast every day. Every. Day.

I do like cereal and I usually mix it up, but I do want to start looking for a variety, especially stuff that has some good protein/fiber in it.

The problem is that I work at 5:00 A.M. and there is no way I'm getting up any earlier than I already am to make breakfast. Any ideas on stuff I can make the night before that I can take to work with me?

Replies

• AdorablePanda
    AdorablePanda Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    boil up some eggs the night before. That way you can just grab and go! :-)
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    breakfast burritos - scrambled eggs, cheese, salsa, meat and/or beans. wrap in flour tortilla, wrap in saran wrap. you can make a bunch at a time and freeze them
  • AngelaLVGJN
    AngelaLVGJN Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    - I make Irish Oatmeal ahead of time and put it in individual dishes - then I can just pull one out, microwave it and it is delicious!
    - Peanut butter sandwiches for breakfast are also good:)
    - Hard boiled eggs with a muffin
    - I pre-cook reduced fat sausage or turkey bacon and just eat it with a piece of low cal bread
    - Yogurt parfait - yogurt and fruit....a baggie with some granola to mix in - easy to grab and go.
    - Greek yogurt is delicious, has protein and keeps me full!

Good luck!
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Kashi (not the cereal) - Greek Yogurt (or reg yogurt is fine, too), a bit of mixed grain cereal (Bob's Red Mill is tasty), and frozen berries. Put them in a bowl in that order, the grains will soak up the juice from the berries as well as a bit of moisture from the yogurt and get softer (not really soft like if you'd cooked it, but a good chewy kind of soft). So filling and tasty!
  • KeeleySue
    KeeleySue Posts: 158
    Options
    Good ideas! I like the burrito one!
  • Iceskatefanrn
    Iceskatefanrn Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Every Sunday I get out my long pancake skillet - the one that goes over TWO burners.

Spray with non-stick cooking spray (NO butter or oils).

Chopped onions go on first, then chopped red or orange bell peppers (I don't like the green ones).

Then a little chopped garlic, then whatever leftover already-cooked veggies I have, chop 'em up first - broccoli, spinach, cauliflower, green beans, artichoke hearts - whatever I've got.

I add some "fake meat" sausage patties that I've "cooked" in the microwave & chopped up.

Sprinkle with just a touch of shredded Parmesan.

Beat 3 whole eggs, then a few tablespoons of skim milk, and maybe a cup of "Whites Only" egg whites (carton).

Pour this over everything. Turn burners to low or medium low, cover entire skillet with foil. This will brown the bottom very slowly while "steaming" the eggs so they cook all the way through.

Once done and cool, I cut this into large squares and put in a container in the fridge. Firm enough to eat with your hands on the way to work after you warm it up, OR put it in a tortilla with some black beans and that is one filling, healthy, delicious breakfast!

Great topic!

:drinker:

Ice
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    All of these sound great! One of my favorites is a bagel thin lightly toasted (I don't usually make these ahead per se, but I make it at like 7:45 am and then don't eat it until 9 or 10 at work) with fat free cream cheese, raspberries, a half serving of deli turkey (low sodium would be ideal) and a little bit of baby spinach. Sometimes I add a sliced hard boiled egg and dijon mustard. You know I love protein in the morning!
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    On the weekends I make breakfast muffin omlettes. Sauté diced onion, bell pepper and asparagus and your fav breakfast sausage until browned, divide into a dozen muffin tins sprayed with cooking spray. Sprinkle filling with low fat shredded cheese. Beat a dozen eggs with a little salt and pepper and divide evenly over toppings. Bake at 350 for 12-15 min. Let cool and throw them in a ziplock. Nuke a couple for a quick breakfast on the go
  • Froggy1976
    Froggy1976 Posts: 472
    Options
    I make these although every time I make them they are a little different depending on the ingredients I have on hand. Here's the most recent batch.

Hormel - Bacon Flavor Spam , 1 oz
    Beef - Ground, 80% lean meat / 20% fat, crumbles, cooked, pan-browned (hamburger), 0.3 serving ( 3 oz )
    Kale - Raw, 0.5 cup, chopped
    Great Value - Mexican Style Four Cheese Blend, 1 cup
    All Whites - 100 % Liquid Egg Whites, 1.5 cup (63 gm)
    Eggs - Scrambled (whole egg), 1 large
    Mix everything together and pour into 12 muffin tins sprayed with nonstick spray.
    Per Serving: 66 calories
  • divalovely
    divalovely Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Veggie Quiche Cups(South Beach Recipe) LOVE IT!! You can make a batch ahead of time, freeze them and when you need a quick grab and go low carb breakfast choice just microwave and go!!

1 pkg(10oz) frozen chopped spinach
    3/4 c liquid egg substitute
    3/4 c shredded cheese(red fat)
    1/4 c diced green bell peppers
    1/4 c diced onions
    3 drops of hot pepper sauce(optional)

Microwave the spinach for 21/2 mins. Drain the excess liquid. Line a 12 cup muffin pan with foil baking cups. Spray the cups with cooking spray.

Combine the egg substitute, cheese, peppers, onions, and spinach in a bowl. Mix well. Divide evenly among the muffin cups. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 mins or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.

77cals, 9g protein, 3g carbs, 3g fat, 2 g fiber

Hope this helps:)
  • Pink_turnip
    Pink_turnip Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    On the weekends I make breakfast muffin omlettes. Sauté diced onion, bell pepper and asparagus and your fav breakfast sausage until browned, divide into a dozen muffin tins sprayed with cooking spray. Sprinkle filling with low fat shredded cheese. Beat a dozen eggs with a little salt and pepper and divide evenly over toppings. Bake at 350 for 12-15 min. Let cool and throw them in a ziplock. Nuke a couple for a quick breakfast on the go

I tried these this week, and they were fantastic! I used one 'egg cup' and a slice of cheese, on a mini bagel. With some juice and a tea, it was a delicious breakfast!
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Soak oatmeal in milk overnight in the refrigerator and it's delicious and cold in the morning. I put some chocolate or vanilla protein powder in with the milk overnight and then in the morning throw in some peanut butter and a banana or fruit or really anything, the possibilities are endless. Delicious and easy.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Soak oatmeal in milk overnight in the refrigerator and it's delicious and cold in the morning. I put some chocolate or vanilla protein powder in with the milk overnight and then in the morning throw in some peanut butter and a banana or fruit or really anything, the possibilities are endless. Delicious and easy.

I do this too but i just do it when i get up - put the milk and oats together, throw in a ilttle of whatever you want (just a little honey or plain is fine for me, but if you want to add some more protein you can do the peanut butter or protein powder liek scarlet suggests). Basically - wake up, toss this in a bowl (I do 1/3 cup rolled oats - NOT instant, regular oats and 2/3 cup skim milk) then go get ready for work - put your clothes on , wash your face, brush your teeth, whatever. By the time you're done (10 minutes?) it'll be good to eat.
  • Iceskatefanrn
    Iceskatefanrn Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I'm loving the breakfast-in-a-muffin-cup ideas, anything I can make ahead of time works for me! I'll be whipping up a batch this weekend for sure!

Soaking oatmeal? Never thought of that but man, I can totally see that using my unflavored, sugar free Almond milk, then stir in a little vanilla extract , handful of fresh blueberries, sprinkling of stevia, and sprinkling of apple pie spice - man oh man, I'm so making this tonight for tomorrow's breakfast!

Loving this thread, thanx to the OP!

:drinker:

Ice
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    *bump*

Loving this thread!!

Found this which is for frittatas, but given we're talking burritos and stuf, I thought why not.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/search.do?keywords=frittata
  • Kellidianne
    Kellidianne Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Aross83
    Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • terrim64
    terrim64 Posts: 11
    Options
    i am so making the vegetable quiche. thanks for the great idea. i am going to make it tonight :) so i can have it for breakfast tomorrow.