Best low carb protein bar

Options
Hey all! I've been trying to find a solid low carb protein bar that doesn't have crazy strange ingredients and won't break the bank. Let me know what your favorites are!

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    They don't exist. Believe me, I've spent years looking, and even trying to make my own. It just doesn't work. Use a powder or eat meats.
  • miaow828
    miaow828 Posts: 22 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Haha yeah that's the conclusion I've come to also but figured I'd ask the community just in case there's something I missed
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    They don't exist. Believe me, I've spent years looking, and even trying to make my own. It just doesn't work. Use a powder or eat meats.

Well to be fair, there are buffalo meat bars, but I'm pretty sure the OP is talking about protein candy bars like quest/ohYeah!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    Lizarking wrote: »

Well to be fair, there are buffalo meat bars, but I'm pretty sure the OP is talking about protein candy bars like quest/ohYeah!

Those and the Sriracha chicken bars are amazing, but yeah those both fall under the "just eat meat" part of my suggestion.
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options

Those and the Sriracha chicken bars are amazing, but yeah those both fall under the "just eat meat" part of my suggestion.

Have you tried the tanka with jalapenos and cranberries? havent been able to find it but it sounds amazing.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

Have you tried the tanka with jalapenos and cranberries? havent been able to find it but it sounds amazing.

I've found the cranberry one, but it was a bit carb heavy for what I was looking for at the time. Jalapeño sounds absolutely stellar, though I've not seen it yet.
  • DragonSupra
    DragonSupra Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Ds Naturals No Cow Bar. I know, I know, it's vegan but it packs a lot of protein (20g) at 170 calories with only 4 net carbs (this thing packs a lot of fiber).
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    Ds Naturals No Cow Bar. I know, I know, it's vegan but it packs a lot of protein (20g) at 170 calories with only 4 net carbs (this thing packs a lot of fiber).

She said low carb, not low net carb. Hell, Quest bars go as low as 1g net for certain flavors, but they have about 24g of corn fiber in them, which does not constitute low carb. ;)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You are better off making your own. www.theproteinchef.co has some good recipes.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

She said low carb, not low net carb. Hell, Quest bars go as low as 1g net for certain flavors, but they have about 24g of corn fiber in them, which does not constitute low carb. ;)

True. Net carbs are just a way for companies (quest, halo top, etc.) to market their products as low calorie/low carb but are total BS.

The net carb thing started with good intentions, meant to get low-carb dieters eating more leafy greens and the like for the fiber and vitamin content. Of course, then here comes the Atkins conglomerate with the "let's not count sugar alcohols either", and it rapidly spiraled out of control, until now we have "low-carb" chocolate candies.

Yet another example of businesses taking a great idea and *kitten* it up spectacularly.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options

I second this ^^^^; however, if you don't mind spending the money and trying new things here are some brands that I have tried in the past (or will be trying in the future) and liked

marigold bars (haven't tried yet, but is next in line to try)
    yup brands B-up bars
    keto bars
    quest bars

Have tried many others. Have made some at home from recipes found online.