Up 1.3 snd really upset

Options
So I have been doing this for about a week and eating very good no sugars no carbs no fried food lots of fruit veggies protein however this weekend I made to home cooked meal's one was the spaghetti and the other was rice and beans with grilled chicken. I measured and weighed everything instead way below my calorie intake yet I woke up this morning and I was up 1.3 pounds and I just cannot understand why

Replies

• LovelessFool
    LovelessFool Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    1.3lbs is nothing to be worried about. Food and water weights can change your number on the scale very easily. For example a single bottle of water weighs over 1lb. Also your restroom habits change daily based on your intake and things are never constant. If you keep seeing gains on the scale each day or week then you may want to look at what you've changed that has you gaining.

Also restricting carbs then eating a bunch can have your body wanting to hold on to that energy and store it if you aren't using it after.

So don't be upset. This is all a process. Just make good choices and keep to your goals. In time things will average out. So you shouldn't worry as stress can also affect your weight both good and bad.

Stick with it and just keep to your goals and it will all come out in the wash.

Good luck on your journey!
  • WrenTheCoffeeAddict
    WrenTheCoffeeAddict Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Firstly - you're one week in. You're not going to see much change yet. Wait, and weigh yourself in a month.
    Secondly, as LovelessFood said, 1.3lb is nothing. You can fluctuate by 4-6lb every day!
    And remember, this isn't about restricting yourself, this is about finding a healthier way to live. Don't go too much below your recommended calorie intake, as it can leave you prone to binging when the temptation arises.
  • LovelessFool
    LovelessFool Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Well said @ZombieLauren

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    kavier1121 wrote: »
    So I have been doing this for about a week and eating very good no sugars no carbs no fried food lots of fruit veggies protein however this weekend I made to home cooked meal's one was the spaghetti and the other was rice and beans with grilled chicken. I measured and weighed everything instead way below my calorie intake yet I woke up this morning and I was up 1.3 pounds and I just cannot understand why

It takes time to make changes.
    Weigh on the same scale at the same time- first thing in the morning, after you use the bathroom and before you eat or drink.
    Be aware that your weight fluctuates naturally throughout the day or week. You will retain water due to things like period or ovulation, eating higher sodium foods, going from low carb to more carbs, new/hard exercise which causes your weight on the scale to go up temporarily. If you stick to your calorie goal it will go down again.
    Don't get upset over one weigh in.
  • melodydee66
    melodydee66 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I understand your frustration. I've been doing this for a while now and should "know better", but I still struggle. This October has been really hard on me since I was sick for the first few weeks and didn't lose anything. The last week, I've really re-jump started everything and have been eating healthy, doing my 10,000 steps daily, going to Zumba, swimming, etc. I get on the scale this morning and I'm UP TWO POUNDS! Now, in my head I know there are many reasons this could be: water retention, time of the month, not drinking enough, muscle build... etc. But it still makes me feel down on myself and I'm trying so hard not to let it get to me today. I'm on my 3rd cup of tea after a healthy breakfast and I'm just going to power on through my sadness and see what tomorrow brings.

Good luck and hang in there. This is a journey, not a race!
  • mcfine55
    mcfine55 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Wow, I really love the post today. I am getting myself motivated to stick with this healthy way of living. The post today really has gotten me going. I really need the support.
  • mavoradonoghue
    mavoradonoghue Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling too. I've been tracking for 3 weeks and have only gained, almost four pounds since I started. It's so discouraging. Any advice is welcome, I would really like to lose weight and start to feel good about myself again.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Weight fluctuates.

If you ate fruit, you ate sugar...
  • Cbestinme
    Cbestinme Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Water weight also. Your body weight can change even 3-4 lbs or even more. Just keep doing what you do for several more weeks, you can do it & you'll see the weight loss!!
  • Charis50
    Charis50 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling too. I've been tracking for 3 weeks and have only gained, almost four pounds since I started. It's so discouraging. Any advice is welcome, I would really like to lose weight and start to feel good about myself again.

If you're not already doing so, take the time to carefully weigh (or at least measure) your food before you track it. Portion distortion is something I struggle with all the time....

But whatever you do, don't give up. Find small tweaks that you think might help, and try them long enough to see if they do.

You can do this!
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options

Weight fluctuates.

If you ate fruit, you ate sugar...

Fruit and veggies also have carbs.
  • Morganbennett1
    Morganbennett1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, Your weight will fluctuate throughout the day and throughout the week. You are usually a few pounds heavier in the evenings than in the mornings, and a lot of people experience weight gain due to bloating and water weight in the first few weeks. This is usually due to a higher intake of veggies and fruits. It can take awhile to see results. Keep tracking and don't obsess over the scale, focus on getting healthy and creating a plan that you can stick with as a lifestyle change. Eventually you will see some weight loss, but the important thing is to stay healthy throughout the process. Feel free to add me if you want to help motivate each other!
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Could be sodium...water retention
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
  • pdo27789
    pdo27789 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I can change by more than 2lbs in any given day. So don't fret too much.

Weigh yourself at the same time, same conditions. For example, I weigh myself every Sunday morning after my bowel movement, and before eating. Perhaps too much information, but if one pound is a worry, then be sure to measure the same thing.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    You said you ate no sugar and no carbs but said you had fruits and veggies. What do you think those are? Because they are neither protein nor fat, so the only thing they could be are carbs.
  • slickmickey
    slickmickey Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    i'm agreeing with everyone. water weight/salt/how "regular" you are... those things can make major daily weight changes. especially if your anywhere near your time of the month too... i swear i can easily gain 5+ pounds the week prior. give it a few more weeks, you'll see how your body fluctuates and find out what's normal for you
  • mactaffy428
    mactaffy428 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Veggies and fruits most certainly do have protein and fats. Broccoli has protein, avacados have fat. Don't think that fruits and veggies are only carbohydrates.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    1.3 lbs is nothing. I gained 2 lbs between 7:30am yesterday and 7:30am today. It's sodium, water weight, nothing else. Happens almost daily to me depending on how much of the tasty seasoned food I eat lol. Today I'm drinking extra water and within 1-2 days if I watch the sodium the weight will drop back off. A fluctuation of 1-6lbs (yes it can be that much) shouldn't be worried about. Drink more water, eat less salt/pre-packaged foods for a few days and you'll see what I mean.