Pain in my side....HELP

Options
I am wondering if any of you can help me out with this one. Lately I have been experiencing a sharp stabbing pain in my ribcage. It is in the lower half of my rib cage, slightly under my bra (for you men, about 3-4 inches from the bottom of my rib cage) on the side. It gets really aggravated when I am doing Zumba, and doing any of the twisting moves, that twist the upper torso. I am going to take a break from Zumba for a day or two, because it is bothering me to the point where I have to stop. Has anyone else experienced this? If so what can I do to make it better? It is only on the one side.
Thanks,
Ashley

I will try and watch this post closely if someone has any questions in case I didn't explain it clear enough.

Replies

• reneepugh
    reneepugh Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    If it is on the right side under the rib cage, it could be your gallbladder. I have gallbladder disease and will eventually have to have it out. Sometimes when eating fatty things it will hurt. A lot of the time it is just irritating. It feels like someone is pushing their fingers under my rib cage really hard and constant and I can't get them to remove them! That's the only way I can describe it. It sucks. The best thing is to see a doctor. I wouldn't take any chances.
  • ashleymariec89
    ashleymariec89 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Was the pain all the time for you? Mine is just when I work out
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I've gotten that MANY times, and I never really figured out what it was. But, I've got two theories.

1) I only got it when I was out of shape, working out vigorously, and the rhythm of my breathing suddenly changed (like running uphill vs. running downhill). I haven't gotten it in years, as I've gotten in better shape. Your body will adapt to the stresses you're placing upon it.

2) Local electrolye or mineral deficiency. Cramps are sometimes due to a calcium or sodium deficiency. If you're in Zumba and sweating profusely, you might try rehydrating with an electrolyte drink. I love 8 oz. of Gatorade. I also recover with a dairy product (milk, yogurt, etc.) for the calcium, protein, and carbs.

Hope this helps. It sucks!
  • ashleymariec89
    ashleymariec89 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    and its not in the front its on the side.....when my arms are by my sides, it is about where my elbow is
  • reneepugh
    reneepugh Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    No that wouldn't be your gallbladder then. If it becomes more consistent other than exercise, you should definitely see a doc. Good luck.
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I am wondering if any of you can help me out with this one. Lately I have been experiencing a sharp stabbing pain in my ribcage. It is in the lower half of my rib cage, slightly under my bra (for you men, about 3-4 inches from the bottom of my rib cage) on the side. It gets really aggravated when I am doing Zumba, and doing any of the twisting moves, that twist the upper torso. I am going to take a break from Zumba for a day or two, because it is bothering me to the point where I have to stop. Has anyone else experienced this? If so what can I do to make it better? It is only on the one side.
    Thanks,
    Ashley

I will try and watch this post closely if someone has any questions in case I didn't explain it clear enough.

Sounds like you might be having muscle spasms. I would check with your dr about that.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    try not drinking so much or dont eat right before you workout. more then likely this is the cause. its usually gas pressure pain.
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Anytime you experience frequent pain with exercise you should see your Dr. Especially if it's to the point that it hurts you so much that you need to stop. It does sound to me like it's the same location that one will get side stitches if not breathing deeply enough (common for beginner runners) but I'm not a Dr. and I'd hate for something serious to happen to you, so if it continues talk to your Dr. or call a nurse advice line. :flowerforyou:
  • _Jennifer1_
    Options
    Lately ive been having this stabbing pain on mu right side rib cage it feel like some is trying to break my ribs. This is happening to be while I'm doing Zumba. Itis the worst pain i have experienced I dont understand why I am getting these harsh and disturbing pains. I only get them while i am doing a harsh moving or twisting Zumba Workout.