Since I started tracking my food I have learned...

Options

Replies

• bbbbb33333
    bbbbb33333 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Coffee (with cream and sugar) has so many calories and fat in it. I'm a coffee addict and drink several cups a day. It wasn't until I joined MFP that I realized I can reach 1200 cals a day in coffee alone.

You must put a lot of cream and sugar in your coffee
  • dancer77
    dancer77 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    that mindless snacking makes me think I've barely eaten anything all day, and somehow I've consumed 2,000calories. HMMMMMM
  • Atthea
    Atthea Posts: 53
    Options
    I have learned that SODIUM IS EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ......:grumble:
    And now, unless the once in a while tortillas and salsa, I am an 'almost' sodium free woman !!! :bigsmile:

It does feel good, even at very hot summer temperature there is no swollen legs and ankles===>only big and muscular...:blushing: !!!
    Oh well, one goal at a time !

Cheers !
  • k121777
    k121777 Posts: 306
    Options
    I have learned that I'm very happy that in California, they make restaurants (like Out Back Steak House and Chilies) post the calories on each meal............made me TOTALLY change what I would normally order.
  • EmilyGetsSkinny95
    EmilyGetsSkinny95 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    ...That home-cooked meals in the south are extremely high in calories! With a chicken casserole and two side items (i.e. corn and green beans for example), and then a dinner roll or slice of bread, you can EASILY eat 1,000 calories in a meal! And then you add some of my Grandmother's blueberry cobbler... whoo. Just as an example of a typical home-cooked southern meal: FRIED potatoes, FRIED chicken, FRIED squash, heavily buttered cornbread, some type of beans, and then maybe apple pie or some sort of cake or cobbler for dessert. I'm not kidding, you'll rack up 30 fat grams and 1,000 calories easily!
    xoxo,
    Chloe
  • theflyingartist
    theflyingartist Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Portion sizes, in general, need to be more effectively advertised.
    Seriously. Once I saw a serving size of chips, nuts, fish, ect... I was horribly disturbed by how misled we are in most cases.
    ALWAYS, always eat a serving size of something before you go for more.
  • lorianamarie
    lorianamarie Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    holy leg muscle bat-man lol
  • pearlymae
    pearlymae Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I agree, Babybel and laughing cow lite swiss are my life savers, or whould I say calorie savers.:flowerforyou:
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I learned that I was way OVERestimating how much butter I was using. A tablespoon is ALOT of butter and can easily butter both slices of toast. I always thought I was putting 2 TBS's on each slice. WOOHOO, having a food scale is so awesome. My realizations don't usually go that way, unfortunately.:ohwell:
  • Liz_White
    Liz_White Posts: 9
    Options
    I am seriously amazed by some of these posts! Who knew there was so many calories in "healthy food"? It's my first day, and I gotta say, even though I've done WW and other plans, nothing has worked, and I am beginning to understand why!!!
    I think what I need to do (it may seem obvious to some) if cut back on fat calories, and pump up the activity level!
    I am ready to roll!!:wink:
  • helenzback
    helenzback Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Ooh bumpng for a read later. How interesting!

Thanks.
  • javablondie
    javablondie Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    That I can eat the foods I love frequently, and eat a lot of food, and be full. Nothing is off limits -- I can work it all into my calories in moderation. :)

Exactly.

It makes me sad when I read some people's comments about how they can't wait until they can eat this or that. Or that they can't do without <insert fav item here> forever. I'm with you. The real trick is to still have food you love, but keep it under control.

Cheers!
  • AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I've learned how quickly 1200 calories can add up! Food is fuel for the body. We need the proper nutrients, not just 1200 - 1500 calories of mindless chewing all day. I also learned that it's okay to have an "uh oh" day every once in a while because the human body is not a machine and eating the right foods can make the 1200 calories work for me, without getting ravenously hungry throughout the day, or throwing away the foods that I enjoy but need to portion control.
  • javablondie
    Options
    I've learned there is absolutely nothing I want to waste my time with at Taco Mac.
  • javablondie
    Options
    That the FDA needs to rethink their food pyramid IMMEDIATELY. That is why America is obese.

It's gone. It's been replaced by "My Plate". Might not be quite as terrible. (But I'm not placing any bets.)
  • natersmama
    natersmama Posts: 157
    Options
    i've learned i can eat a WHOLE LOT MORE eating good for me foods and stay full rather than eat my favorite junky snacks and be out of calories by noon. =/ oh and this......

1 beef bubba burger = 400 cals
    1 turkey bubba burger + slice cheese + wheat bun = 320 cals

love the beef burger, but its soooo NOT worth the calories!
  • totustuusmaria
    totustuusmaria Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    i used to love cooking with olive oil, but seriously- about 130 cals per TBSP? crazy! It's been PAM for me ever since I realized that. Oh, I also used to LOVE eating mangos- until I realized they've got 30-some grams of sugar in them! good lord. I know it's natural surgars and all, but even that's too many for me. I've been sticking to berries.

I realized both of those things too!!
  • ESVABelle
    ESVABelle Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    2 Words: Peanut. Butter. :-(
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I have learned that I'm very happy that in California, they make restaurants (like Out Back Steak House and Chilies) post the calories on each meal............made me TOTALLY change what I would normally order.

Ditto, this helps me AND I dont' usually feel that deprived because I feel good about the choice I made (based on calories) whereas before I might have picked whatever SOUNDED the healthiest -- now I look at the 5 lowest options and pick the one that fits my day and appeals to me the most.

Also the olive oil kinda freaked me out but the other day I used it to make pasta (just olive oil and spices for the sauce) and I actually MEASURED it - turns out what I had been thinking was 2 tablespoons was more like one....so I used a full 2 tablespoons (For 2 portions) and it was waaaayyy too much, my pasta was noticeably oily (...yummy yummy olive oil, I would drink you if I could).

I prefer to eat LESS of a 'good' food like olive oil than eat processed food like nonstick cooking spray. Ditto for "low fat" "low carb" "sugar free" - I'll just have one slice of bread instead of 2 icky slices.
  • divalovely
    divalovely Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I've learned that my normal 3-4 margaritas I enjoyed at a happy hour can pack a whopping 3,000 calories & a buttload of sugar!!!OMG! No wonder I got so fat(and very UNHAPPY)!!!! LOL