Physical labor and training. How does one consider this?

Options
Hi guys bit of an odd question here

I'm currently undertaking some physical training in relation to my job.
For anyone who may know what this is its called MAPA, the management of actual or potential aggression. I work as an RMN in a mental health unit and MAPA is a week long intensive course - i.e. lots of physical activity during the week. (Silver lining is we can go in in joggers all week, comfort heaven haha!)

I'm really unsure of how to consider this in relation to my weightloss and physical activity. I usually go to the gym every other day or at least three times a week however I'm getting back and I'm super tired. My muscles ache and it feels like i've just completed a workout. This then leads to me feeling hungrier.

I do a lot of walking anyway, anywhere from 7,000 - 13,000 steps a day, so you can imagine how pooped I am after all of this!

Has anyone else done anything similar or have an idea of what I could do to measure this week accurately? Any advice would be lovely! Thank you!

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    MFP asks you your day to day activity level, so this is where you will enter in lightly active, active, moderately active.. This will give you your calorie goal (deficit) and exercise is added to that..

So when you perform purposeful exercise outside of your job\day to day you will do this separately

However you can go with TDEE method and setup your account as this includes your daily activity/job and exercise and then you can chose a rate of loss at TDEE less 20%, 15% and so on off that number....
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    It's just boosting your activity level, I'm sure there's desk work as well as physical handling in short bursts

I'd say you should set at highly active and if you're knackered pull back on specific workouts
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    It's one week.... add in a few calories per day if you feel you're more active than normal and don't worry if you skip the gym.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    You don't need to measure one week out of your normal routine accurately!
    Same will apply when you are on holiday/vacation.

Trust your instincts, if you are tired/aching then skip the gym. If you are hungrier eat a little more.
  • ImogenTLPerkins
    ImogenTLPerkins Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys! I just upped the calorie intake by a couple hundred this week based on MFP recommendations ^_^
  • DaytonaTheHousecat
    DaytonaTheHousecat Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    After a day long workout maybe you should hit up the gym jacuzzi and sauna to relax