any juicers?

Options
koizumi6
koizumi6 Posts: 274 Member
I just purchased my first juicer and was hoping for some good juice recipes. I really want to boost my immune system since i'll be working in a hospital soon... any suggestions?

Replies

• mslexie89
    mslexie89 Posts: 4
    Options
    go to fatsickandnearlydead.com
  • mslexie89
    mslexie89 Posts: 4
    Options
    what juicer did you get....? Also i reccomend watching fat sick and nearly dead the movie on netflix
  • jamison77
    jamison77 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    i just watched that movie today and if i needed to lose weight thats how i would do it, looks easy so yea check that out!
  • koizumi6
    Options
    I did watch it... and that's what inspired me to buy the juicer. I'm looking for juice recipes for an immune system boost. I've googled some but would like to hear what works/tastes best
  • totustuusmaria
    totustuusmaria Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    The Green Juice on the Reboot website (fat,sick,nearly dead) is actually not too bad.

Kale. Spinach. Cucumber. Carrots. Green Apple. Ginger... there might be a few more things in it. My mom made some a few days ago and I was surprised at how drinkable it really was. Not bad at all really. And tons of nutrients. We just made half a gallon tonight for tomorrow. Very very filling. Under 200 calories... like 180 or something!
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    here is a website i have been using for ideas http://www.fernsnutrition.com/juicer_recipes.htm

my favorite one I made up is green grapes, kiwi, and kale/spinish
  • koizumi6
    Options
    when you log the juice on MFP, do you just log it as if you ate the whole fruit/vegetable?
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I am sipping on some freshly juiced pineapple/apple/strawberry! I just got a juicer last night. It's a lot more work than I antcipated with all the prep then cleaning. Not to mention how all the stuff I crammed in didn't amount to as much as I thought it would. But I'll keep at it because I don't consume a lot of fruits and veggies regularly. I have the Jack LaLannes Power Juicer. The booklet it came with has some good combinations to try. I hope you find some good recipes!
  • StephLop
    StephLop Posts: 20
    Options
    I juice. I use to do it all the time, but it does take a lot of time and prep work. I always did romaine, spinach, apple, lemon, and pear... really good for you and doesnt taste too green.
  • paulmg1234
    paulmg1234 Posts: 37
    Options
    I used to juice a lot and have been inspired by the movie "Fat sick and nearly dead" to start it up again. I used to make kale, carrot, apple, ginger juice. I'd put a lemon in the juicer to with the peel and it really tasted good.
    I have a green star juicer, which works well, but it is such a pain in the butt to clean. It takes 15 min to clean the thing. I got to the point where I would juice in the morning and leave the juicer all day until I would use it again at night, cleaning only after the second use. :)
  • koizumi6
    Options
    how do you log the juice on MFP? Do you log as if you ate the whole raw fruit/vegetable?
  • Sandra59
    Sandra59 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Yes I use a vitamix and pop in

1/2 banana or dollop of honey - makes it sweet
    piece of celery
    piece of tomato
    piece of apple
    piece of pear
    pieces of brocolli
    piece of frozen beetroot - makes the drink bright red and you cant taste it
    couple of strawberries and 4 blueberries

basically i put anything in, the more variety the better, but the beetroot and banana is a must for me along with raw brocolli as I think its extremely good for me
    i then give the whole family a glass of it

There is not point juicing if you are extracting the pulp in my opinion
  • Sandra59
    Options
    Yes I use a vitamix and pop in

1/2 banana or dollop of honey - makes it sweet
    piece of celery
    piece of tomato
    piece of apple
    piece of pear
    pieces of brocolli
    piece of frozen beetroot - makes the drink bright red and you cant taste it
    couple of strawberries and 4 blueberries

basically i put anything in, the more variety the better, but the beetroot and banana is a must for me along with raw brocolli as I think its extremely good for me
    i then give the whole family a glass of it

There is not point juicing if you are extracting the pulp in my opinion
  • Sandra59
    Options
    ive been logging it as fruit salad and also logging 1/5 of a banana
  • TheTeeWhy
    TheTeeWhy Posts: 186
    Options
    Why do I always think of steroids? xD
  • sweetiebrittie
    sweetiebrittie Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I love juicing

My favorite is beet apple juice or pineapple-spinach-ginger juice.
  • deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I'm literally watching fat, sick and nearly dead right now. Probably won't be juicing any time soon, but will definitely be increasing my fruits and veggies - again.
  • rocky282
    rocky282 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm a HUGE fan of juicing cabbage and zucchini. Most people don't do it but I love to combine those with Beets, it is super sweet and I don't think it is very high in calories. Beware though the color is a little strange. lol
  • sceck
    sceck Posts: 219
    Options
    I put EVERYTHING in the juicer. Fruits, veggies, herbs. I don't know how to log it, but, it's definitely worth it. I always have a crisper drawer full and when I see that I have something that's not being used quickly enough, it goes in the juicer. The best way to freshen up any juice (for me) is to add a couple of stalks of celery. Brings both fruit and vegetables together beautifully!! And I never waste anything anymore.
  • sceck
    sceck Posts: 219
    Options
    This may sound really gross, but I take the pulp and mix it in my yogurt. Double duty!!