Excuse me miss...

Options
branflakes1980
branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
edited October 2016 in Chit-Chat
I recently switched from a very small gym to a really large gym due to my daughters swim team schedule. 2 days in a row now I have been belittled by men because I am a girl. Example # 1 last night dude was on leg press I asked to work in (typically I would do something else but it was my last exercise and I had to get going) he looked at me and said " ugh I guess but your going to have to be stripping a lot of plates after every one of my sets ( turned out I only needed to strip one off each side but that's besides the point). Example # 2. Tonight I am on the seated calf raise do hicky, another guy deems it necessary to come up to me and say "that's a little bit heavy, are you sure you can do that" I didn't even know what to say so I just stared at him blankly.. I mean seriously... is it because I'm a girl, or are people just that rude?

Guys Have any of you all ever said something to someone (a girl) like this? And ladies, how would you respond in this kind of situation?

Replies

• Kupo98
    Kupo98 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I work at a gym, and I have not seen this behavior from members ever, sounds like you need to find a gym where the members aren't so condescending and inconsiderate.
  • branflakes1980
    Options
    I didn't feel bullied so much as dumb founded. I've been a member of numerous gyms over the past 6 years and never have I encountered anything like this. It was just strange to me I guess. I consider myself a strong woman and I know a lot of women that are pretty hard core, just mentally brought me back a few decades to when women were viewed as weak and not equal. And as a woman that avidly lifts weights it was just offensive to me. And unfortunately switching gyms is not an option.
  • branflakes1980
    Options
    I only opened this because @branflakes1980 started it.

:flowerforyou: :blush:
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,508 Member
    Options
    guys say all kinds of stupid *kitten*

boy howdy, I should know....
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    The deadlifting area is right in front of one of the racks in my gym, and one morning this guy deadlifting saw me put a 45 on one side of the bar and without asking loaded the other side for me, but I don't really think he did it because he thought I needed help.

Another time at my last gym this guy left the row machine fully loaded up and then went to bench. I asked his partner if they were finished, and they were. Instead of waiting I started to unload it, and the guy on bench came over and tried to take the 55# plate off my hands. I didn't let him. It was a little late for that.

I guess what I'm saying is that I've never been put down by men at the gym, but I'm pretty sure those things wouldn't have happened if I were a man.
  • branflakes1980
    Options
    The deadlifting area is right in front of one of the racks in my gym, and one morning this guy deadlifting saw me put a 45 on one side of the bar and without asking loaded the other side for me, but I don't really think he did it because he thought I needed help.

Another time at my last gym this guy left the row machine fully loaded up and then went to bench. I asked his partner if they were finished, and they were. Instead of waiting I started to unload it, and the guy on bench came over and tried to take the 55# plate off my hands. I didn't let him. It was a little late for that.

I guess what I'm saying is that I've never been put down by men at the gym, but I'm pretty sure those things wouldn't have happened if I were a man.

Right. I've never experienced anything like it before. So strange.
  • PowerMan40
    PowerMan40 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    No we are encouraging and supportive to all, especially if we see a lady kicking *kitten*. Props and respect.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,508 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

I would let you look under my hood; I damn sure would.
  • Magnustkn
    Magnustkn Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    At my gym the women there are *kitten* beast, so as far as I know none of them have that problem with the guys there. I think the only time someone would feel the need to approach some there, is when someone is executing the workout incorrectly.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    I didn't feel bullied so much as dumb founded.

this made me laugh. i know exactly the reflex you're talking about. it's when you can't find anything in the response database because you didn't know they even made people like that anymore.
  • branflakes1980
    Options

Hi there :smile:
    united1974 wrote: »
    "working in" is the worst thing in the gym, i wouldnt let you do it, especially if i was doing a proper work out and doing the sets as they should be..

MAN OR WOMAN, if you are in such a rush you have to mither other people, just wait, do them another time..

the weights stuff is a bit off though.

I get it to a certain extent. However if you are so involved that you don't want someone to work in just say no. I'm a big girl and I can handle it, do not look at me in disgust, and assume that I am some sort of weak *kitten* that can't lift as much as you. Just say no, like I said. No need to be an asshat about it!
  • branflakes1980
    Options
    I didn't feel bullied so much as dumb founded.

this made me laugh. i know exactly the reflex you're talking about. it's when you can't find anything in the response database because you didn't know they even made people like that anymore.

Exactly. Lol! I just sort of stared as him blankly...