Any tips not to get excessive weight during vacation.

Options
Hi people!

I am going for 7 weeks holiday that includes christmas and new year, I know I should not be stressing about weight loss while I'm on vacation but I worked so hard to loss weight. I understand that I may gain few pounds but do you have any tips to prevent from getting excessive pounds. What have you done to maintain your weight and at the same time not restricting yourself too much? Thanks a lot!

Replies

• PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Remember what is important. Health and fitness. You can do this. I agree you need to still plan your morning the night before and get exercise. You have a lifestyle of health so enjoy the season not the crap.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Lots of walking, swimming, biking... limit yourself to dessert once a week
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Keep up with your water intake and sleep.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Don't eat excessive food or drink.
    Move more.

My favorite exercise during the holidays is the Fork/Spoon pushdown, plate push aways!
  • khhregister
    khhregister Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    caroljoy08 wrote: »
    The less I eat out, the less weight I gain. So I try to stay where I can cook.

This is us. Not to mention we save so much money this way!
    We try to eat out one meal a day at the most when we are on vacation. Better if it's lunch, because it's cheaper and the portions are smaller.
    I love being able to have my regular breakfast at "home" anyway, so I don't have to jump out of my pyjamas and get completely ready just to have my first meal of the day.
    And by dinnertime, I'm usually wiped out from sightseeing and I really just want to relax and have a leisurely meal. Not always easy to do that if you're in a strange city.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    By now you should know what your food intake can look like. Eat like that.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I pretty much how much to eat and how much to not eat..also I do workout and vacations usually involve a lot of walking anyways, and I also split dessert.

But if you must take your food scale.. that will make heads turn! just kidding.. :)
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Meal by meal, make healthy choices. Move a lot. That's about it.
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I would just continue to log, exercise when you can, and hope for the best :) Here in the US we rarely get 7 week vacations - if I had that much time off, I probably wouldn't change a thing.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I prefer to eat a small breakfast since I enjoy having a nice dinner, but it's hard for me to find nutritious breakfasts when I travel, so I try to bring things I'm used to eating, like protein bars or fruit.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Take your scales with you. Go ahead, be that person. I would definitely log and guestimate the calories if that was the only method available. I could easily gain 20+ lbs in 7 weeks without logging. If there will be numerous worthwhile culinary opportunities stick to maintenance or a smaller deficit.
  • jolive7
    jolive7 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    If you are like me and have an office job (mostly) I find that I maintain on vacation without really trying because I am moving so much more throughout the day then I usually do in the office.. and still try to get workouts in where I can!
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Lots of similar ideas. Stay somewhere where you can cook a lot of your own meals. Eat like you do at home. Eat out once a day (or less). Bring home the leftovers for another meal. Add veggies to leftovers proteins.

Look for vacation activities that keep you going. Walk, hike, bike. Take the stairs instead of the elevator when you can. Work out a little at the hotel gym (if they have one). I also travel with my resistance bands and use them. Lay a towel on the floor and do some yoga. Bodyweight exercises while watching TV - squats, lunges, calf raises, leg lifts. You will be surprised at how little weight you will gain if you just keep moving!

Oh, and have fun! Seven weeks on vacation/holiday is a dream!

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    You're on vacation, so you've got all the time you need to exercise.

You could pretty much eat whatever you want if you stay active!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,195 Member
    Options
    Yup ... exercise lots! Go for hikes, bicycle rides, swimming, long walks, etc. etc.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    Lots of exercise while away-lots of walking if staying with friends or family do some of the cooking-they will appreciate it and you can cook your foods Don't indulge too much-perhaps 1 treat a day limit your alcohol
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I was away for 4.5 weeks recently All I gained was water weight due to the long haul flights, which also have high sodium foods.
    I decided to ge in maintenance. When possible I organised my own breakfast instead of going out. My husband and I usually did a shared platter for lunch (so one lunch for two people) and dinner only one course carefully chosen. Where possible salads with dressing on the side and lots of seafood. Also made sure I had enough water and fruit at my disposal to not feel hungry. Lots and lots of walking/hiking
    That said I allowed myself a few deserts (usually shared) and specials. I had one over day because I was attending a wedding and that was preplanned. I had a great holiday and some great meals but I did not gain.