Creatine and BCAA

Options
What are everyones thoughts on taking creatine and BCAA suppliments

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Creatine is a very well researched supplement and it may provide you with a slight increase in performance.

If you use it, I'd go with monohydrate which is the most effective and also least expensive.

BCAAs are conditionally useful however if you're getting in adequate protein it's questionable whether BCAAs have any additional benefit.

• Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I eat real food that contains BOTH so NOT needed
  • SideSteel
    Options
    I eat real food that contains BOTH so NOT needed

I'm just curious, how much creatine do you believe you're getting through your diet?
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I use IBCAA when I'm cutting
    Mainly intra work out in the gym.
    They taste nice as well
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Creatine Mono is about the only supplement that is worth using in my opinion. I use BCAAs intra work out when I'm on a deep deficit. Probably not needed but worth it just for my reassurance of nothing else.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    It takes about 3lbs of chicken or 2lbs of steak to get the beneficial amount of 5g of creatine. You might want to rethink whether you are getting that amount in your diet.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    It takes about 3lbs of chicken or 2lbs of steak to get the beneficial amount of 5g of creatine. You might want to rethink whether you are getting that amount in your diet.

Now I'm curious what most people tend to get as far as dietary creatine.

I would make the assumption that if one were to get it entirely via diet that you may need to go even higher than the standard supplementation dosage since when testing the supplement I would think the subjects were getting some creatine via diet already.

Interesting to think about anyway, now I want to go look at examine.com and check it out LOL
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I eat about 24 ounces of Meat a day 16 ounce red meat and 6-8 ounces chicken or turkey chicken. so about 3.5 grams Creatine from food..

Guilty as charged my Protein/extra calories shake has 4.5 grams of Creatine in it and didn't even know it till I just looked.,.

Crap my c4 has Creatine in it too..
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »

Now I'm curious what most people tend to get as far as dietary creatine.

I would make the assumption that if one were to get it entirely via diet that you may need to go even higher than the standard supplementation dosage since when testing the supplement I would think the subjects were getting some creatine via diet already.

Interesting to think about anyway, now I want to go look at examine.com and check it out LOL

I personally, probably take a little higher daily dosage than some (on top of what I get from normal diet). I don't measure exactly, but know it's usually between 9-12 grams a day (so around twice the recommended daily dosage once saturated).

My logic behind this...(disclaimer...my personal logic/opinions):

1. I'm bigger than 200lbs, so the extra is a buffer for being bigger.
    2. Very well researched at even larger dosages, so know it will not be detrimental on that slightly higher dosage in any fashion.
    3. I feel like I respond to Creatine well enough.
    4. It's super cheap, so why not.
    5. There is some very good research now with Creatine Monohydrate dealing with brain trauma and its application of offering some protections for the brain. I have some family history of Alzheimer's, so again, I proxy it as a buffer against this, using it as a "just in case".
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I've been taking 5g of creatine a day for 2 months but can't tell if it's any help or not. This is in addition to whatever I'm getting out of the meat and protein supplements that I also take each day out of around 180-200g of protein/day.

I haven't gained any weight (lost weight actually) and haven't noticed any specific energy boost while using it while lifting or doing my bodyweight exercises. Then again, I might not be doing those things as well as I am without it.

Guess the only way to determine if it makes any difference or not at all is to stop using for awhile but I really don't want to do that.
  • riches41
    riches41 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    So im looking to take both as i got a deal on suppliments my issue was more energy in the gym i got a bcaa sample and noticed a difference by 3-5 reps will these help over a long period plus i heard of a loading phase with creatine can someone explain.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    riches41 wrote: »
    So im looking to take both as i got a deal on suppliments my issue was more energy in the gym i got a bcaa sample and noticed a difference by 3-5 reps will these help over a long period plus i heard of a loading phase with creatine can someone explain.

If you feel like you're getting a performance boost from BCAAs then by all means keep using them. I would at least, under that scenario.

Regarding loading creatine it's not at all necessary but you may reach saturation faster which basically means you might see a slightly greater effect a bit earlier.

downside to loading phase is the possibility of stomach upset
  • Lisa_Ookoo
    Lisa_Ookoo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I have been taking 5mg day for a few months. I give it credit for making me a slightly faster cyclist, and also giving the muscles in my shoulders and biceps a slightly fuller appearance. While staying at the same calorie and activity level, I've gained about 2 pounds of water weight. I haven't had any gastric problems.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    Creatine is a very well researched supplement and it may provide you with a slight increase in performance.

If you use it, I'd go with monohydrate which is the most effective and also least expensive.

BCAAs are conditionally useful however if you're getting in adequate protein it's questionable whether BCAAs have any additional benefit.

This exactly. My dosages of both vary depending upon the rest of my diet. When eating normally, I'll supplement maybe 5g of creatine per day, and don't really bother with BCAAs. I run CKD, so I can assure you that I get plenty of both at maintenance and surplus.

However, when in a hard cut, I increase creatine by roughly double (because I am getting almost none from food), and start using BCAAs around lifting sessions, and during extended stints between meals.
  • riches41
    Options
    Ok so mixed review whats a good starting portion of each and when should they be taken
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Ok so mixed review whats a good starting portion of each and when should they be taken

If it were me, 3-5g creatine monohydrate daily taken whenever you prefer to take it and don't bother buying BCAAs provided you're:

a) not training fasted
    b) consuming adequate total daily protein distributed somewhat evenly throughout the day
  • riches41
    Options
    For a begginer
  • SideSteel
    Options
    For a begginer

I would apply that to a beginner provided you've got the disposable income for creatine (it's cheap regardless) and provided you want to potentially maximize strength in the gym.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    plus i heard of a loading phase with creatine can someone explain.

the idea of a loading phase is you take a bit more of it for a few days so as to let it 'build up' in your muscles first. afaik it's kind of an old-school idea and you don't really need to do it.

i've been taking creatine daily for a couple of years. it's my staple supplement, with bcaa's as a now-and-then thing when i'm afraid of the doms. every so often i lose interest or run out on the creatine, but i haven't bothered with doing the loading when i start up again.

the main thing i'd say if you're taking it is to make sure that you drink lots of water. two reasons: 1. without enough water you can get a bit of an upset stomach (apparently). and 2) creatine works by adding atp to your muscles, and atp storage needs water. so if you're not giving the creatine enough fluid, you're not really giving it a chance to do its best thing.

the recommendation i found was for 1/2 cup per gramme, but i go with a full cup just because that seems to be the proportion that works well for me.

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    The only time I take BCAA's is when I am going to undertake fasted training. If not, I don't believe there is any need for them.

In my opinion creatine is a waste of moneyfor 90% of people but I know that others are die hard fans. I would suggest taking it for a short period 10-12 weeks and see if you notice anything.