Haven't lost weight in 7 months?

Options
I don't know what to do. I've adjusted my calorie goals, I've tracked, measured, etc. Started running, started walking. Nothing, I'm still the same weight. I don't understand it's the last 10 pounds and eating 1350-1500 calories a day would have to allow me to lose weight. Any amount. I'm 5'5 136-140 pounds. What can I possibly do?

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Shoot for the calorie goal that puts you at 1/4-1/2lb per week for fat loss.
    Also keep in mind that the last 10 tends to hid itself on daily water fluctuations as well as weight fluctuations from monthly cycle, stress, sleep quality etc...
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Open your food diary so people can get an idea of what your food intake is like.
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Increasing calories, just a bit, might do you some good. At an ongoing loooong deficit, there is a point of diminishing returns... not to mention weight, at this point of the journey, becomes less a thing.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    You're not in a calorie deficit. Don't eat in a range, set a number and stick to it.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    emjam99 wrote: »
    I don't know what to do. I've adjusted my calorie goals, I've tracked, measured, etc. Started running, started walking. Nothing, I'm still the same weight. I don't understand it's the last 10 pounds and eating 1350-1500 calories a day would have to allow me to lose weight. Any amount. I'm 5'5 136-140 pounds. What can I possibly do?

Straight off, to me, you saying your weight is 2 different numbers means you probably are losing weight then putting it back on, and looking at the calories you say you eat there are days you eat more than other days.

On the days you've gone up to 140lbs look at your diary, what have you eaten, have you logged everything and weighed everything you've eaten?
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    fr33sia12 wrote: »
    emjam99 wrote: »

Straight off, to me, you saying your weight is 2 different numbers means you probably are losing weight then putting it back on, and looking at the calories you say you eat there are days you eat more than other days.

On the days you've gone up to 140lbs look at your diary, what have you eaten, have you logged everything and weighed everything you've eaten?

First off, everyone maintains within a range due to water weight fluctuations so there isn't necessarily any real fat gain and losses happening.

Just because you weigh in a pound or two more than the day before, there isn't going to be a direct link to the day before. This isn't advice to follow or everyone would freak out about seeing a 2lb gain due to hormones but think because they went over 150 calories the day before the gained fat. It just doesn't work like that.

OP are you weighing your food or using measuring cups? Can you open your diary as others have asked.

yeh I meant over the course of the 7 month OP said she hadn't lost weight, not in a day.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    OP open your diary..

These experienced MFP'ers can point out in a minute or two what may be going on by looking at the entries you have logged... :)
  • Rawr619
    Rawr619 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Are we the same person?... I am 5'5 and have fluctuated from 136-141 for the past several months. I want to get down to 115-120 but am really struggling here. I work out quite a bit (rock climb several hours a week, and weight lift). I am contemplating starting to run, but I absolutely hate running. I am just stuck here. Last year I got down to 132 but was unable to maintain that weight. I'm getting scared my weight is going to creep back up... (my highest weight was 164...).
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Rawr619 - as a rock climber and weight lifter, you have a lot of muscle. You probably do not need to lose any weight. You are already within the range for healthy weight. You have already seen that trying to go too low isn't sustainable, so what is the point of getting your weight much lower? If you are healthy, strong and can do what you enjoy doing - why not enjoy what you are instead of attempting to get your scale to say some arbitrary number? Also, if you don't enjoy running, don't do it. There are a lot of alternate activities that burn calories that you might enjoy, so why not do them instead?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Open your diary also @Rawr619 if you are also seeking help.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I've notice that now I'm at my goal weight after losing 47 pounds, my weight fluctuates more than when I was eating a larger deficit to lose weight. I'm not sure why that is, but it sure keeps me focused. No way do I want to gain again. I'm half an inch shorter than you and hovering around 133 which for me seems like a good weight. @trigden1991 gave good advice, buy yourself a scale and weigh your food so you can be more precise with your intake. Up your activity level as well.
  • Rawr619
    Rawr619 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I took time off from tracking, and maintained the same weight as when I as tracking. Statting to track again (I just get obsessive about it so needed a break). One reason I would like to lose weight is because the lighter you are the easier it is to climb. I agree, I'm not overweight by any stretch of the imagination- but my rock climbing will improve if I lose weight.
  • Longevity100
    Longevity100 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    OP,

What exercise program are you following?
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    May I suggest that your weight is in a healthy range for your height? Why do you want to lose more? My guess is that any further loss is just vanity loss and you won't easily be able to maintain it.