Discover what's new & improved in the MyFitnessPal app!
We’re dedicated to helping you achieve your health and nutrition goals. And our newest features and updates? They do just that. Learn how we're making tracking your progress easier, faster, and more motivating than ever.

Cooking / Portion Sizes NSV!

Options
saltorian
saltorian Posts: 192 Member
It's just my partner and me at home, and before we started getting serious about healthy eating and exercising, we generally just ate as much as we cooked. Since many convenience foods are made to feed families, not couples, this was a problem. Box of Rice-a-Roni supposed to feed 5 people? Oh well, we'd split it in two. Same with basically everything -- frozen pizzas, box dinners, you name it, we just divided it in half and ate as much of it as we could / wanted at the time.

Tonight, I made 18 turkey meatballs (from a 20oz package of meat), a box of whole wheat spaghetti, and a can of pasta sauce. Then, I got out the kitchen scale and divided everything into 6 equal portions -- one for each of our plates, and four into separate containers for the fridge and/or freezer.

We both enjoyed our dinners and felt satisfied after. Where before we would have just eyeballed a heap onto each plate and scarfed until we were full, this time we not only got to eat a delicious dinner, but we have enough for two more meals in the future! As much as I complain about "healthy" food being more expensive, evenings like this remind me that, at least in some ways, it can cut costs, too. :-)

Replies

• CeejayGee
    CeejayGee Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    That's great!! And, yep, we used to always just split those pre-packaged meals, pizzas, etc in two too - even though they were meant to serve 4-5-6 people! My guess is that a LOT of couples or families do that, thus they are eating way more than they need.
  • leftymac
    leftymac Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Great job! At least you used to split yours in two. I live by myself so sometimes I'd eat the whole thing!
  • djkymba
    djkymba Posts: 174
    Options
    Great job! My husband and I have been guilty of doing the same. I just started weighing/measuring my food since I came here, too.
  • raerae1974
    Options
    This is exactly what I need to do for my mother and I......
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    THAT is definitely an NSV worth sharing! Great job!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!