exercise soreness

Options
I have changed up my gym routine and added more time on the treadmill,,more strength training and crunches...I am so sore in my legs ,stomach and sides....
I was sore yesterday and worked through it and put in 80 mins at the gym, this morning I am super sore...
Should I work through the soreness or rest until it feels better?? I don't really want to rest but I don't want to hurt myself...
So what do you guys do after changing up your routine and getting some soreness from it???

Replies

• jmatthews75
    jmatthews75 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    you are going to get a boat load of mixed answers here. Bottom line, you know your body best. I would work through it, many will say rest, some will say go but go light. I say go and go hard, because the soreness and pain is just the old you saying it doesn't want to change. thats how I motivate myself to work though the pains. But I might not be playing with a full deck sometimes...
  • tammyr76
    tammyr76 Posts: 174
    Options
    you are going to get a boat load of mixed answers here. Bottom line, you know your body best. I would work through it, many will say rest, some will say go but go light. I say go and go hard, because the soreness and pain is just the old you saying it doesn't want to change. thats how I motivate myself to work though the pains. But I might not be playing with a full deck sometimes...
    Thanks I feel the same way,,my friends said to me once when i complained about being sore "pain is weakness leaving the body" ..I just don't want to over do it and hurt anything but I love exercise so much I don't want to take a rest day...
  • SpaceMarkus
    SpaceMarkus Posts: 651
    Options
    You have to get sore to work your muscles. You don't start improving until you get uncomfortable. With that said, if you ever feel actual pain, like a stabbing or ripping pain, STOP! Soreness is one thing, pain is another. Have you looked into any carb-based after workout drinks to help with the soreness?
  • tammyr76
    tammyr76 Posts: 174
    Options
    You have to get sore to work your muscles. You don't start improving until you get uncomfortable. With that said, if you ever feel actual pain, like a stabbing or ripping pain, STOP! Soreness is one thing, pain is another. Have you looked into any carb-based after workout drinks to help with the soreness?
    After a workout I drink a protein shake,,,vanilla whey protein in a cup of almond milk....any other suggestions would be great if I need to do something different....
  • misslaney
    misslaney Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I often find that exercise eases tense muscles (eventually). If I'm stiff after strength training, a good blast on my bike (stationary or mobile) usually sees me right! Remember to stretch, that should help too. Flexible muscles are less prone to injury.
  • mags2504
    mags2504 Posts: 275
    Options
    bump, i would like to hear more, I get sore only when I change from routine which I look at as good. I must be using muscles I don't use in my norm workouts.
  • JoceyyySmall
    JoceyyySmall Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I would work through it, many will say rest, some will say go but go light. I say go and go hard, because the soreness and pain is just the old you saying it doesn't want to change. thats how I motivate myself to work though the pains. But I might not be playing with a full deck sometimes...

I must not be playing with a full deck either then because I fully agree with everything here, it's also what I do too :)
  • shanmont
    shanmont Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Water, Water, Water before and after your workout...also, i took an aerobics class (many years ago) and the instructor told me to take magnesium everyday for the first few weeks and this helped tremendously. But Yea, i say work through it, but don;t hurt yourself. it will all be worth it in the end!! :)
  • SpaceMarkus
    SpaceMarkus Posts: 651
    Options
    More carbs after your workout will help with the soreness. You want to shoot for 3:1 carbs/protein (4:1 if you're really going hard).

This is according to the ISSA Nutrition Guide.
  • rfdon
    rfdon Posts: 1
    Options
    I had the similar situation yesterday after workout. And i am having rest today.dont stress your body more then it could take.