Too Much Sodium

Options
Dave198lbs
Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
Is there anyway to counter a high sodium meal or day? I was focused on the calories and now have a high sodium day already and dont want one...anyway to counter the sodium?

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Options
    Is there anyway to counter a high sodium meal or day? I was focused on the calories and now have a high sodium day already and dont want one...anyway to counter the sodium?
  • wilted6orchid
    wilted6orchid Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Judging by the number of people who have looked at your post, but not replied I would imagine that we just don't know. I would suggest drinking lots of water. Salt is passed through urine. Sweating it out can also happen...long hot soak in the tub or a sauna if you have access to one.
    Forgot to mention, my brother-in-law lives on dialysis...no kidneys. Anyway, he always worked out in the sun to sweat out the salts. To bad it's winter.:noway:
  • CThorne48
    Options
    I'm pretty sure banana's counter sodium...there are a couple other things too but I can't remember, it's worth googling though. :-)
  • allaboutme
    allaboutme Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I read that potassium rich foods may help to balance too much sodium.

this article is interesting.
    http://www.ext.colostate.edu/PUBS/foodnut/09355.html
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    thanks...looks like a bananna is now on my morning snack menu
    appreciate it
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    Water.

Drink lots and lots of water.

:drinker:
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    Water will help it through - increase your water intake by at least 2 glasses the day you have the high sodium meal and then something potassium rich the next day and while you might see a small blip on the scale that day, it will even out by the end of the week.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    I don't use alot of salt in my cooking or alot of processed foods. When I go on vacation, especially a cruise I know I am getting way more sodium than my body is use to. I make sure to drink extra water. As long as I do that I am not bothered by the swelling I use to have.

I am going to try the banana idea next time.
  • hibbler22
    hibbler22 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    IVE HAD THE SAME PROBLEM STAYING WITHIN MY CALORIES BUT HIGH IN SODIUM, I DRINK LOTS AND LOTS OF WATER AND SWEAT ALOT AT THE GYM. I DONT ADD SALT TO MY FOOD, SALT IS ALREADY IN SOME THINGS.
  • michelle33
    Options
    Lots of Water, and stay under 1200 for a few days. After that, you do not want to go over 2000 any day. Try adding banannas into your diet for the potassium. :smile:
  • porka29
    porka29 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Yikes!!:noway: I can certainly see I am off on sodium. What is the recommended daily amount?:brokenheart:
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    Yikes!!:noway: I can certainly see I am off on sodium. What is the recommended daily amount?:brokenheart:

It's recommended that adults stay under 2400 mg... which seems near impossible if you eat ANYTHING that's been pre-packaged.
  • nikkoteeny
    nikkoteeny Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hey, just wanted to point out, a baked potato with skin is an excellent source of potassium. A medium baked potato with skin has nearly twice the amount of potassium in it as a medium banana does. It's also a good source of fiber and Vitamin C. Just don't load it up with salt to add flavor.