College

Options
I am a freshman in college and I have gained weight since I have been here. I just don't know how to make the right choices in the caf, and I find it so hard to find time to workout. Suggestions?

Replies

• KyleGrace8
    KyleGrace8 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    Stick to whole foods for the most part. Try meal prepping your own food for the week. Check packages and serving sizes. If you can take longer walks to class, take them. If you can take the stairs instead on an elevator, stairs. College is fun but watch the alcohol intake as that's a lot of calories right there (if you even partake).
  • janekana
    janekana Posts: 151 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    As a freshman, do you get catered foods for all 3 meals of the day? If not, then you should meal plan and meal prep. Ever since I've started meal planning, I could count my calories ahead, as well as being able to ensure that I don't have food that will go bad.

If you do get catered food though, you may want to just eat smaller portions. It is incredibly hard to log since you don't know the exact ingredients, but try your best, and overestimate the calories just in case. Alcohol is also a big factor into weight gain, so you may want to cut it a little bit, try to drink less. I was a freshman myself a year ago so I understand your pain.

You don't have to workout to lose weight necessarily, just try your best not to go over your calorie goal really.
  • ashcky
    ashcky Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Just as you have to set aside time to study then you have to set aside time to workout. Even if it's only 30 minutes, better than nothing. Once you get into a routine it becomes a habit. On MWF I have class back to back from 9:05 to 11:00 and then I walk to the gym on campus to workout. There are healthy options in the cafeteria, load up on protein and veggies. It's okay to eat the foods you love, you just have to eat smaller amounts.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    You should be able to look up nutritional information for your college's caterer on you college website. (If you can't, complain about that. All the major catering companies - Sodexho, Aramark, etc. have the info. You can even find a lot of it entered already on MFP.)

Watch your portions. Be aware that starches, in particular, will often come in very large portions (because they're cheap) with high calorie counts for the whole serving. Soup is your friend at lunch (especially if it's not a cream or cheese soup; those are fine, but you have to watch the portions a lot more carefully). With our last caterer, I would get chicken taco salad every Tuesday - which was yummy and full of vegetables; I held the cheese and sour cream and didn't eat the tortilla bowl.

Be active. You can walk a lot on a college campus, and it will add up. Going to the gym is great, but try to burn as many calories in "normal life" as you can by taking the stairs, walking a lot, etc. too
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    If I was doing it all over and living in a dorm:

Br: protein. eggs, yogurt, meat etc.
    sn: take some fruit, cheese, something. have nuts on hand
    lu: big salad with protein
    sn: repeat
    di: if it's a cafeteria dinner, protein and veg, how much are you going to enjoy it anyway? :)
    if it's out, or delivery, I'd say go with it, but don't go overboard.

beverages: skip the sugary pops and energy drinks. If you "need" those, do sugar free.
    adult beverages (if it applies): learn to like wine over beer, and choose sugar free mixers.

If you do a lot of pizza nights, try to eat 2-3 slices. Try to have more veg on the pizza.

When possible: choose WHOLE GRAIN over heavily refined grains.

Walk whenever possible
    Take PE classes for credit, but choose wisely
    take advantage of the gym! Schedule those workouts!

I spent college telling myself I wasn't in control. I was.

Good luck, learn lots, have fun.
  • becca_rup23
    becca_rup23 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I'm in grad school now, and something that helped me throughout undergrad was trying to sign up for PE classes or intramural sports so that you're still getting exercise, since it's hard to control what you eat in the dorms
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
  • OhMyGodAreAllUsernamesTaken
    Options
    I am in my second year of college and I totally understand what you are going through. College is a much different way of life than we were all used to. You can't always have a great schedule and that can make it very hard to get yourself organised and find time to work out. As a person who is majoring two difficult studies I can recommend that you try to make a routine of walking as much as you can, especially after classes because sitting for hours kills and you will feel a lot better once you get your blood flowing. Once the exams arrive I suggest you do your best not to study during the night. Rather wake up early, work out (litterally doing any physical activity in the morning will greatly improve your life) and then go study. Even though studying for exams requires hours of sitting in the library and hitting those books you must get up at least every 90 minutes. Whenever I study at the library I keep that routine and after every 90 minutes I get up and walk from the ground floor to the 6th/last floor. You will feel better and and you will study better. As far as the food goes, do not let it bother you if you gain a few pounds your first year because everyone does and you can and will lose it as soon as you accomodate a little better to the new life. The other users have also told you very smart and useful things and you should definitely listen to them. I wish you the best of luck in your first year of college :)
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Use My Fitness Pal to determine your caloric needs and track your intake. Schedule your workout time like a class. If you don't think you have time, take an honest look at how much time you spend watching TV, looking at social media and decide what is more important.

Best of luck.
  • KrisJ125
    KrisJ125 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    If you are eating in the dining halls, watch portion size carefully And make sure that half of your plate is vegetables. Either raw or cooked is ok, but try to eat them without a lot of additives (butter, cheese sauce, sour cream, salad dressings, dips, etc).
  • mag5muck
    mag5muck Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, i am in freshman year right now too! I am also studying Nutrition and have been interested in it for years so i can help you out! I always try to get a few staples for my room all the time (loaf of whole grain bread, eggs, few fruits and veg, greek yogurt, and nuts/seeds) so if i don't see anything in the caf that i find nutritious or appealing, i have something in my room to eat. Try to get your protein in, good fats, and fibre because those will keep you full the longest. Fats will not make you fat, its choosing the right fats for your body. (My breakfast is a piece of toast, mashed avocado, and an egg - thats carb (fibre), fat, and protein - and its delish' and keeps me full for hours!!!!) I also always have a little baggie of nuts with me, and if not that, larabars are fantastic and you can get them on amazon prime :)))

And for the exercise (hard part for me as well), i try to schedule it in just like a class. I will write out what i have for the upcoming week and plan in an 30 minutes to an hour, 3-4 times a week for going to the gym. I also try going earlier in the day to get it out of the way. With my school i have fitness classes offered so i find those really fun and also a good study break for an hour or so to get my mind of papers and midterms. I also go on walks to clear my head.
  • mccraee
    mccraee Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    look for lean protein & veggies in the cafeteria. Have some fruit, not sweets. Greek yogurt & hard boiled eggs. Whole grains can be hard to find but stay away from the super refined stuff as much as you can.

You are probably walking a lot. Take the stairs every chance you get. Learn where the stairways are and use them