Help! Feeling Really Frustrated!

Options
ehte_h
ehte_h Posts: 293 Member
I'm working my *kitten* off weight lifting, cycling, and running. I'm eating as best as I can and I have so far lost 10lbs. All good stuff, however I had my body fat measured at the gym and it's barely changed! I'm afraid i'm losing muscle and it has really got me down

Replies

• SpaceMarkus
    SpaceMarkus Posts: 651
    Options
    How much cardio are you doing? I just read up that doing more than about 1.5 hours of cardio a week may reverse any muscle gains you're getting.
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    You can't be losing muscle if you are doing all that you say you are! Stick with it and have your percentage checked again in a few weeks or a month. You can do it! How often are you working out and when did you start. When you first start with tryingto lose weight, usually a lot of water weight comes off in the beginning, which can acct for around 5 lbs.
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    How are you getting it checked? You have to remember that the hand held machines are very unreliable as they are easily affected by a lot of variables. I have lost 25 lbs, gone from a size 12 to a 6 and the handheld machine last time (it's the only way I can get it measured due to money and availability) and I was still well above average. I wouldn't trust it if this it what you are using
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    How are you getting it checked? You have to remember that the hand held machines are very unreliable as they are easily affected by a lot of variables. I have lost 25 lbs, gone from a size 12 to a 6 and the handheld machine last time (it's the only way I can get it measured due to money and availability) and I was still well above average. I wouldn't trust it if this it what you are using

This.

Unless you're going to a clinic and using an advanced body fat measuring device (which cost a lot to use), don't bother using the handhelds.

If anything, use calipers. Or just use body measurements. If the belly and other areas start melting away, you know you're going in the right direction.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    It's VERY hard to measure, and VERY hard to see big changes.

Stick with your routine - you'e doing all the right things!
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I agree with Valerie & aj, those tests aren't very reliable. If you're really worried about losing muscle, just make sure you've cut out sugar & starches as much as possible and are eating plenty of protein. The chemical reaction that burns fat in your body requires 3 parts fat to 1 part protein, so if you don't eat enough protein, your body will harvest it from your muscles. So just make sure you get plenty of protein throughout the day, especially right before & after a workout, and you should be fine.
  • ehte_h
    Options
    I got the fat measured using calipers at the gym. I guess losing water weight makes sense, I have been on this routine for 10 weeks also.

Markus: I do 40 minutes of cycling daily, and that's before I get to the gym. (20 minutes from my house to the gym, and 20 minutes from work to home), I then do between 10 - 30 minutes on the treadmill with free weights? Maybe it's too much. I'll try not to get to hung up on this and focus on clothes fitting etc instead.. It's just annoying that the hard work isn't translating to bodyfat loss
  • ehte_h
    Options
    Thanks for everyones input
  • editara13
    editara13 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    You are not losing muscle, but the fat that is wrapped around the muscle. What you can do is, more weight lifting and less cardio. Maybe it helps maybe not, but to me it works and lots of water.... :-)

3574379.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • Leish81
    Leish81 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Are you being truly honest with yourself with how you are eating? I worked out 5x week for 2 months and saw nothing, zip, zilch nada... Talk about frustrating, I was about to give up. I read something (that I have read a million times before) and it finally clicked!

Our bodies are: 10% genetics, 10% exercise & 80% DIET

I have completely cleaned up my diet and went on to lose all of the 25 pounds I gained. Now I'm just working on a few vanity pounds and toning. But I will be honest because I still work out 5x per week my clothes do fit different. Many pants are tighter (bc that's where I gain most of my muscle) and many shirts are too big.

Try a week without ANY processed foods, refined carbs (pasta, rice...) and no other fluids than water and of course coffee. (I will NEVER give that up.) And just so you know, there are days I eat more calories than given because I am honestly hungry but it's always clean.
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Also, the calliper methode just mesure the fat under your skin and not the fat arround your organs. Keep at it!!!
  • ehte_h
    Options
    Thanks guys, i'm just gonna keep on trucking! Forget about the percentages and just go by measurments. There must be a method to the old school maddness