GUYS Help needed!

Options
jdavis193
jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
So my husband likes to eat! He eats alot of junk but think he doesn't need to eat breakfast!! Which I tell him all the time he does. What are some good snacks that you guys like. He's a college basketball coach so he doesn't have a fridge in his office. I was going to get him some of those luna or cliff bars. Any other suggestions. that will kill his craving to eat more? He doesn't cook. I will start cooking most of his lunches. He will eat leftovers if we have them. He doesn't like everything I eat. If he knows it's healthy he doesn't like it. I am trying to change his attitute towards that ;)... He siad he will eat fruit... He used to play bball in highschool really active ate whatever he wanted he still had a 6pack. Well he's 30 now. He's really not that big. I am trying to get him to eat healthier and he asked for my advice... Thanks.

Replies

• pnieuw
    pnieuw Posts: 473
    Options
    Good question. I eat fruit for snacks, and when I need that salty snack, I grab a small serving of Quaker Mini Crisps, which are made with rice, and have 90 calories per 12 "chips". I also will eat the occasional "granola" bar, but so many are full of fat and sugar, it is hard to find a low calorie, high fiber option.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Pure Protein Bars and Drinks. I love them. He can grab one as he goes out the door. They also are very low in sugar. 2-3 gms per bar. Good Healthy Snack.
  • jdavis193
    Options
    Pure Protein Bars and Drinks. I love them. He can grab one as he goes out the door. They also are very low in sugar. 2-3 gms per bar. Good Healthy Snack.

Which ones do you use? I have bought protein drinks before but didn't like them. I probably got the wrong kind.
  • wbond
    wbond Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Clif Bars are one of my favorites. As for making him eat healthy, unfortunately if someone doesn't want to do it, he will not change. Only way that he will change unless he wants to do it. A good way to get him to want him to change, is for you to be his motivation. If he sees how well you are doing with weight loss, eating healthy and being happy....maybe one day, maybe, he will want to join you on your journey and start the journey on his own.
  • aschwieterman
    Options
    Nut mixes work well. I make my own blend to lower the sodium. I use one salted type of nut and the rest unsalted. But a mix of cashews, peanuts, almonds, sunflower seeds and throw in some dried cranberries for a little sweet kick.
  • steffilily
    steffilily Posts: 149
    Options
    Heard it on one of the weight loss shows on tv that skipping breakfast is considered "Sumo Wrestler's diet" because by just skipping breakfast, it sends a message to your body to store fat. That is how sumo wrestler get successful in getting that big. Tell him that and maybe he'll reconsider eating breakfast.

It also lit a light bulb in my head why i gained so much during college. I used to have breakfast every morning when I was living at home with my parents because my mom always had breakfast ready for us. In college, I'll tell myself I'll eat when I come back from class because I preferred to sleep a little bit more than to get up and fix myself breakfast.
  • manorexicmarshmallow
    manorexicmarshmallow Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Popcorn! 100 calorie packs are great. They take a while to eat and actually are more filling than 100 calories of pretzels or other salty treats. Things like potato chips and candy bars are way too many calories and aren't nearly as filling as a 100 calories of popcorn. If you are looking for something like a candy bar, I try to eat Fiber One bars which have like 140 calories and are fairly filling as far as candy bars go, though the danger is if you eat more than one of them, you've eaten 300 calories.

I also eat low calorie popsicles after meals because some studies have shown that eating something sweet after a meal helps signal your metabolism that your done eating.
  • jdavis193
    Options
    Clif Bars are one of my favorites. As for making him eat healthy, unfortunately if someone doesn't want to do it, he will not change. Only way that he will change unless he wants to do it. A good way to get him to want him to change, is for you to be his motivation. If he sees how well you are doing with weight loss, eating healthy and being happy....maybe one day, maybe, he will want to join you on your journey and start the journey on his own.

Yes I know this has I stated in my paragraph that he asked for my help :)..
  • jdavis193
    Options
    Heard it on one of the weight loss shows on tv that skipping breakfast is considered "Sumo Wrestler's diet" because by just skipping breakfast, it sends a message to your body to store fat. That is how sumo wrestler get successful in getting that big. Tell him that and maybe he'll reconsider eating breakfast.

It also lit a light bulb in my head why i gained so much during college. I used to have breakfast every morning when I was living at home with my parents because my mom always had breakfast ready for us. In college, I'll tell myself I'll eat when I come back from class because I preferred to sleep a little bit more than to get up and fix myself breakfast.

Yes I completely agree with this.
  • jad54
    jad54 Posts: 192
    Options
    Protein bars - I usually go with the Powerbar Triple Threat
    Nuts(almonds are a great snack)
    Yogurt(especially Greek)
    Cottage Cheese
    Fruit
    Veggies
    Popcorn
    Baked chips
    Granola bars
    Soup
  • TTHdred
    TTHdred Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    My hubby is not the healthiest, but he likes pop corn and sunflower seeds. Also bananas and apples (if I remember to pack them :smile: )
  • jdavis193
    Options
    My hubby is not the healthiest, but he likes pop corn and sunflower seeds. Also bananas and apples (if I remember to pack them :smile: )
    [/quot

Yes I feel you! ;)... He can still drop 10 lbs in a month if he wanted to without exercise. But he said he always as the urge to eat more. He loves to eat ! He doesn't really weigh that much! I am a health nut.
  • dougstevens
    dougstevens Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you love your hubby a great deal and you wish him to be healthy and around for many decades to come.

He may not cook; maybe he can get interested in grilling.

As for his eating habits, I can relate ( I LOVE to eat); and I am also guilty of not liking the same "healthy" foods as my wife.
    So, recently I started experimenting with cooking and more importantly grilling; and you know what, I found that I love it. Every guy should learn to master the grill. (Its one of those guy things that appeals to our inner boyhood. Its a way we can safely play with fire.)

I have experimented with several marinades, learned to grill fish, veggies, breads and pizza! There is one website that teaches fool proof methods for grilling (e.g. chicken cooked through but not dried out, fish doesn't stick to the grill, etc. etc. etc.) I am becoming the "goto guy" within our circle for grilling tips and techniques.
  • dougstevens
    dougstevens Posts: 208 Member
    Options

"Sumo Wrestler's Diet" - think my wife and I saw that on the Dr. Oz show. He has a special series about weight loss and eating healthier. He explains on his show (and website) that not only what you eat and how you exercise is important; but new studies are showing that WHEN you eat and exercise is important or more so. Apparently its helping people to break out of their plateaus and ramping up their weight loss progress.
  • jdavis193
    Options
    Sounds like you love your hubby a great deal and you wish him to be healthy and around for many decades to come.

He may not cook; maybe he can get interested in grilling.

As for his eating habits, I can relate ( I LOVE to eat); and I am also guilty of not liking the same "healthy" foods as my wife.
    So, recently I started experimenting with cooking and more importantly grilling; and you know what, I found that I love it. Every guy should learn to master the grill. (Its one of those guy things that appeals to our inner boyhood. Its a way we can safely play with fire.)

I have experimented with several marinades, learned to grill fish, veggies, breads and pizza! There is one website that teaches fool proof methods for grilling (e.g. chicken cooked through but not dried out, fish doesn't stick to the grill, etc. etc. etc.) I am becoming the "goto guy" within our circle for grilling tips and techniques.

Yes I do!!! we are going grocery shopping tonight. He's like I don't like your healthy food ;) I said we will go to the grocery and you can take your time adn look and see what you would like to eat! We will see. He's not much of a griller. We don't own one. We watch the extrame make over weightloss addition. Which I think scares him a little ;)
  • PalmettoparkGuy
    PalmettoparkGuy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Granola bars, trail mixes