Anyone else shedding for the wedding?

Options
Hello everyone! I've been looking around for a MFP support group for wedding weight-loss for a while, but unfortunately, I haven't found a group that seemed particularly active, so I decided to create one!

If you're working on getting in shape for your big day, feel free to join in!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/116846-shedding-for-the-wedding

Replies

• Preetib24
    Preetib24 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I'm not shedding for my wedding but I am shedding for my engagement party that is planned for next year. Need to look my best for the day :blush:
    Is it still applicable? lol
  • PastelPretties
    PastelPretties Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Preetib24 wrote: »
    Hi there! I'm not shedding for my wedding but I am shedding for my engagement party that is planned for next year. Need to look my best for the day :blush:
    Is it still applicable? lol

Of Course!
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    I absolutely am. My wedding is in two months!

Come on in!
  • LAMCDylan
    LAMCDylan Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Why do people attach their worth to their weight? And then they place these pressures on themselves to lose weight by a certain date or for a particular event. When you lose/gain weight, because that is what people do, what happens to your worth if you attach your worth to your weight? You also give all your power to other people if you feel like your weight is such a big deal that it becomes a question of whether not not you will be viewed a certain way.
  • LAMCDylan
    Options
    Seems like an odd way to put it. I still think there is some underlying self worth issue there though. Anyway, you speak for yourself. I see too many threads and posts like these. My post describes a lot of people who make posts like those.
  • LAMCDylan
    Options
    But if you only feel good if you look good then it is a worth issue. Your physical appearance wouldn't make an impact like it would. I see too many examples on here of people who have serious weight/body shame issues. You can speak for yourself. If you say you have a healthy self image then I will believe it. But you cannot say that for a chunk of the sites users. Being healthy is not just how you physically look it includes your emotional health too. I could scan dozens of threads right now and find examples of people with unhealthy emotional issues.

The thing with people who set dates or events as a marker to lose X amount of weight is that they place too much of their worth on how they look. But the thing is, your health (if that is what you really care about) is a life long commitment. Not short term like these people make it. And if your worth is all tied up into your weight, when your weight changes, so does your worth. And the "looking good" part wouldn't be that big of an issue to a healthy person. Looking good is based on others' perceptions. And we can't control others' thoughts. So in other words, it is a waste of time and energy. Everybody cares about their appearance to an extent but I just see too many people go about it the wrong way on this site. To be honest, this site causes a lot of harm for some people than help them. Instead of having weight/health issues they have emotional/shame issues.
  • jodi3357
    jodi3357 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My son's wedding is in 2 weeks. I've lost 30+ lbs. Gonna keep on trying even after the big day!
  • PastelPretties
    PastelPretties Posts: 5 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    LAMCDylan wrote: »
    But if you only feel good if you look good then it is a worth issue. Your physical appearance wouldn't make an impact like it would. I see too many examples on here of people who have serious weight/body shame issues. You can speak for yourself. If you say you have a healthy self image then I will believe it. But you cannot say that for a chunk of the sites users. Being healthy is not just how you physically look it includes your emotional health too. I could scan dozens of threads right now and find examples of people with unhealthy emotional issues.

The thing with people who set dates or events as a marker to lose X amount of weight is that they place too much of their worth on how they look. But the thing is, your health (if that is what you really care about) is a life long commitment. Not short term like these people make it. And if your worth is all tied up into your weight, when your weight changes, so does your worth. And the "looking good" part wouldn't be that big of an issue to a healthy person. Looking good is based on others' perceptions. And we can't control others' thoughts. So in other words, it is a waste of time and energy. Everybody cares about their appearance to an extent but I just see too many people go about it the wrong way on this site. To be honest, this site causes a lot of harm for some people than help them. Instead of having weight/health issues they have emotional/shame issues.

No shame issues. Even as a slightly overweight person, I love my body the way it is, however, I see nothing wrong with wanting to start a new chapter of my life on a healthier note. If someone is excited and motivated to look and feel their best on their wedding day, then what difference does it make to you?

If you want to *kitten* about how insecure people are, maybe stop criticizing them. You're part of the problem.
  • angelinblack8
    angelinblack8 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am...eight months to go. Thank you for making the group!
  • Charis50
    Charis50 Posts: 181 Member
    Options

I read this thread because I found the phrase "shedding for the wedding" humorous. I was surprised to see you address this issue here.

I understand your point, but I don't see any evidence of emotional/shame issues from the posters who are interested in joining this group. And I don't see anyone suggesting unhealthy ways to achieve a particular dress size or weight on this thread.

In fact, I don't see anyone here saying he or she needs to lose X pounds by Y date. (Some other threads, yes. This one? No. Unless I've missed something.)

So, best wishes to all the fiancées, brides, and proud moms who have happy events coming up!

• amylferguson92
    amylferguson92 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am although I haven't set a date for my wedding yet and it probably won't be for a few years.
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Why do people attach their worth to their weight? And then they place these pressures on themselves to lose weight by a certain date or for a particular event. When you lose/gain weight, because that is what people do, what happens to your worth if you attach your worth to your weight? You also give all your power to other people if you feel like your weight is such a big deal that it becomes a question of whether not not you will be viewed a certain way.

Judgmental much?

Why are you telling people who want to make positive health changes that they are insecure or giving their power away by doing so? I have something to work towards, any change to my health, fitness or appearance I make is for me - not for my partner, family, friends or strangers. Why shouldn't I look the way I want to in photos which I'll keep around my whole life?