DRINK more WATER.

Options
Rilke
Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
I have recently seen at least two posts linking to articles "debunking" the "myth" to drink lots of water during the day. I didn't even bother clicking them. There is no reason *not* to drink plenty of water each day -- but there are so many reasons to do so:

Water helps you feel fuller.
Water flushes toxins.
Water gives you energy.
Water aids digestion and keeps you regular.
Water assists blood flow.
Water hydrates your skin.
Water hydrates your muscles.
Water is essential to cell regeneration.
Water regulates your body temperature.
Water reduces kidney stones.
Water minimizes headaches.

Plus, water is cheap. I mean, come on.

I find the rule to drink half of your pounds in ounces -- and more if you exercise -- perfect.

Replies

• andreas73
    andreas73 Posts: 7
    Options
    Water is hard to start drinking, but once you are in that routine is does get easier. And everything I read said half uor weigh in ounces.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
  • RedheadHen
    RedheadHen Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I really need to drink more water. I was drinking 1/2 my weight in ounces or more a day. But somehow I slacked off. I really need to get back on track! Water is great for you! :)
  • Rilke
    Options

I've not seen that before. Thanks for linking!
  • Nottm1984
    Nottm1984 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I've noticed such a difference since I've been drinking more water, especially with the feeling bloated thing, I just dont get that any more and my skin looks a lot better. I just have a big bottle (1l) on my desk at work, drink the whole lot in the morning and then refill twice again in the afternoon. Then I have my tea/coffee/juice (maybe wine!) when I get home.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I thought this was an interesting article about the 'water myth'
    http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellness/waterlogged-america-drink/story?id=14054401

Personally - I often drink 10-12 cups of water a day. I exercise hard and sweat like a fiend. I need that much water to stay adequately hydrated. I hope this isn't TMI... but, I just watch the color of my urine throughout the day. If it's clear to very light yellow, I figure I'm drinking plenty of water.

That said, I don't believe that excessive water drinking carries health benefits. I don't think water helps me stay full. I don't think it flushes out toxins. I don't think it helps me lose weight. Just my opinion. :-)
  • MelsDiet
    MelsDiet Posts: 69
    Options

Thanks for that! My result came up as...

"71 ounces of water today, or 2.1 liters"

I know I need to try harder with my water as Im barely drinking a glass a day!
  • Nottm1984
    Nottm1984 Posts: 57 Member
    Options

That's really useful, thanks! Mine said 2.8 ltires, so I'm on track for that which is good.
  • Rilke
    Options
    I thought this was an interesting article about the 'water myth'
    http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellness/waterlogged-america-drink/story?id=14054401

Personally - I often drink 10-12 cups of water a day. I exercise hard and sweat like a fiend. I need that much water to stay adequately hydrated. I hope this isn't TMI... but, I just watch the color of my urine throughout the day. If it's clear to very light yellow, I figure I'm drinking plenty of water.

That said, I don't believe that excessive water drinking carries health benefits. I don't think water helps me stay full. I don't think it flushes out toxins. I don't think it helps me lose weight. Just my opinion. :-)

Thanks for linking. That article presents a couple arguments I believe are beside the point: for example, the Fiji thing. And while I agree that we are drowning (no pun intended) in plastic, bottled water is not the only option (or even the best one). I also find that when I am thirsty, I am also starting to feel a bit of headache -- which means I've already waited too long.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I agree completely with the OP. Every person needs plenty of water. I think the debate comes from those that think that the only way to get "water" is by drinking plain unflavored water. And there simply is no evidence to support that and it's illogical.

If I "ate" a pack of Kool-Aid and then 10 minutes later drank a glass of plain water, then I just drank a glass of water and should log it. If I mix that pack of Kool-Aid with my water and drink it I still just drank a glass of water and should log it.
  • perrytyra
    perrytyra Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    It does get easier, and after a week or two, the trips to the bathroom in the middle of the night will stop. LOL.
  • Rilke
    Options
    It does get easier, and after a week or two, the trips to the bathroom in the middle of the night will stop. LOL.

Agreed. I visit the bathroom plenty during the day, but at night I'm good :)
  • Rilke
    Options
    Just bumping this once, because it's important.