Why am I so sore?

musicgirl88
musicgirl88 Posts: 504 Member
edited September 29 in Fitness and Exercise
OK, so I haven't done anything different. I have been doing the C25K program for several weeks, and for the past couple of days it's the only exercise I've done. Usually I do some type of arm or leg exercise. Things have been hectic around here though, so I've just been jogging every day for the C25K. Anyway, everything on me is sore. My wrists, my knees, my ankles, my elbows. Why would anything in my upper body hurt? Is this something I should get checked out? I am not jogging today because I am going out of town shortly and I woke up a little later than I wanted to. So I guess today is sort of a rest day but I'll be walking a lot still. Can anyone here help me out?

Replies

• dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    When was your last rest day?
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    More water maybe? Joint soreness can be a sign of dehydration. Google it.
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    If you are jogging correctly, which I'm sure you are, you use all of your body to do so. There could be a number of reasons why you are sore. I would suggest taking a day or two off until the soreness subsides and then get back on the train. I have noticed that since I've become more active and do different workouts that other parts of my body becomes sore and it's probably due to the fact that it wasn't accustomed to being used. So, I guess it just comes with the territory.
  • gcook1
    gcook1 Posts: 15
    Knee and ankle pain can be attributed to a lot of things. It could be your running style, improper shoes or just over-worked muscles. When your knees and ankles are having issues, those pains easily migrate all over your body. Overcompensating because of a knee pain causes stress on the hips. You start running stiff and your shoulders hurt.

I'd recommend having your running style checked out.
  • musicgirl88
    musicgirl88 Posts: 504 Member
    Well, I am drinking upwards of 10-12 glasses of water a day. So I know I have plenty of water intake. As for my jogging style, I usually jog with a friend and she keeps me up on posture, but I never thought of how my knee and ankle pain could cause me to run stiffer. But my shoulders aren't hurting, just my elbows and wrists. I am definitely taking today off, but I have to be walking a lot because I'm going shopping with a friend for my cousin's wedding. So there will be a lot of walking around the mall. At least it is slow paced walking! Thank you all for the wonderful advice!!
  • gcook1
    gcook1 Posts: 15
    Another possibility for elbows and wrists...are your hands flopping when you run? I've seen some people jogging and their hands are flopping like they're being swarmed by bees. That's gotta be hard on the wrists!
This discussion has been closed.