5'9(ish) ladies..........

Options
bethdris
bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
I know this will vary for everyone, but I have changed my "goal" weight 3x now and I'd really like to set one in stone. I started at 246.2 on March 13th of this year and as of this am I was 177.5. I am very happy with the results so far. I guess i"m just wondering when is a good "stopping point"? Hubs says Im getting too thin...(I think he needs glasses). Instead of my BIG muffin top I had, I now have little love handles and my C section pouch. I went from a size 18/20 to a 12. I feel great, but I'm really a concrete person, and would wanted to hear what others have as their goal.

My orgional goal was 190 (thats what I weighed when I got married)
Then it was 177 (this is only b/c I looked up to see what I'd have to weigh to get into the military)
Now Its 175 or even 170....geez I never thought I'd have such a "proiblem"

Replies

• TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    My end goal will be 185, but I don't carry much weight in my waist. It's mostly in my hips/butt/thighs/bust so that's where I think I'll look my best. I'm 5'9" like you, but you carry your weight in different areas than me so you may need a smaller weight to be happy. Go with what you like in the mirror, not your husband or anyone else.

Good job and keep it up! :-D
  • sisofhoo
    sisofhoo Posts: 26
    Options
    I'm 5'9, and currently weigh 224. When I got married, I weighed 180. Looking back at those pictures, I think I looked healthy. Other pictures from where I weighed less than that, I just looked sickly in. Well, maybe not sickly, but definitely too thin. My current goal is 200, as that's what I weighed 2 weeks after my daughter was born, and I looked good and felt good.

Congrats on reaching your goal.

ETA: Alot of my weight is carried in my bust, that has always been my problem. (Granted, my belly has a pooch, but mainly my problem is my chest)
  • Gettinfit2
    Gettinfit2 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    You should aim for the weight you feel comfortable maintaining. Maybe you should consider working on toning rather than weight loss. Toning will reshapes your body; weight loss shrinks the body.
  • mandeiko
    mandeiko Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I would say between 165 & 170 is a good goal weight for your height, but go for what best fits YOU. :)
  • Maris165
    Maris165 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm shooting for 165. I am so lucky to carry the majority of my weight in my waist :sad: But I am ok with that. I have never in my adult life been below 190 so we will just see what I see in the mirror when I get closer. Congrats on your success so far!! Awesome!
  • alexwalper
    alexwalper Posts: 81
    Options
    I'm shooting for 165. I am so lucky to carry the majority of my weight in my waist :sad: But I am ok with that. I have never in my adult life been below 190 so we will just see what I see in the mirror when I get closer. Congrats on your success so far!! Awesome!

I'm the same here! I had never been under 200 lbs. that I was aware of, and I'm around 189 for now, but I definitely have a lot left to lose. My original goal was 150, but as I've gotten closer, I might be aiming closer to 160ish :).
  • Susanpv
    Susanpv Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    First.....WOW to losing 67 pounds since March. I have been at this since the end of December 2010, and have been very good at my calorie intake (1200-1500) walk an average of 18 miles a week and have only lost 30 pounds. What are you doing to have done this????? You need to bottle it and sell it!!! My goal is 160 pounds for my 5'9" height.
  • am_last10lbs
    am_last10lbs Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm currently 140 and hoping to get to 135...but it is definitely coming off SLOWLY!!!!
  • happyfeet262
    Options
    I have read many times that a good general rule for a healthy weight is 5 feet = 100 lbs, and then add 5 lbs for each 1 inch over 5 feet tall. So 5'9 would be 145 for the recommend weight, BUT everyone is certainly different and has different bone structure, etc.

I'm 5'10 and currently 147, my goal is 140-143 ish. I do NOT feel good if I go over 147. Again, everyone is different.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    My goal is 142, but I have a very slim bone structure (when I circle my left wrist with my right thumb and forefinger, I can nearly cover my thumbnail). It's all about where you feel comfortable. Don't be ruled by the numbers :)
  • luvmypoochie
    Options
    My goal is 142, but I have a very slim bone structure (when I circle my left wrist with my right thumb and forefinger, I can nearly cover my thumbnail). It's all about where you feel comfortable. Don't be ruled by the numbers :)

So can I lol

My starting weight was 178.5 I have lost 12 lbs and am now 166 - my original goal was 160 but I have now changed it to 150, as 150 would put my smack dab in the centre of a healthy BMI
  • freeloaves
    freeloaves Posts: 281
    Options
    I'm the same here! I had never been under 200 lbs. that I was aware of, and I'm around 189 for now, but I definitely have a lot left to lose. My original goal was 150, but as I've gotten closer, I might be aiming closer to 160ish :).

Very similar to you - never been under 90kgs in my adult like until last year when I got to 86.5 briefly.
    I'm 5'9(ish) and currently 93kgs (205lb). Goal weight is 72kgs (160lb), and I reckon that should be good for me. My face already looks like I may look quite gaunt... my fat is around waist and hips.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the feedback. It is interesting to see the different goals. When it comes down to it, its all in how we each feel. I'll keep my goal at 175 (which I haven't weighed in YEARS). Then maintain for a few months and then reassess.
  • VanessaC
    VanessaC Posts: 126 Member
    Options

So can I lol

My starting weight was 178.5 I have lost 12 lbs and am now 166 - my original goal was 160 but I have now changed it to 150, as 150 would put my smack dab in the centre of a healthy BMI

I am aiming for 150 lbs because it is in the middle of my BMI too. I figured that the top of my BMI was still too high but to be at the bottom would probably make me look sick, so my goal is to be right in the middle.
  • suzumichan
    suzumichan Posts: 127
    Options
    In truth its whatever makes you feel comfortable and happy.
    Im not 5'9(ish) but Doctors say Im 5"11 (Im really 5'7).

I mean I have quite a bit of goals myself so
    I understand what your saying. See:
    My first goal is 220.
    When/if I reach that then my 2nd goal is 190.
    When/if I reach the 2nd goal then its 150 or 170.
    I put mfp as 170 for my main goal.
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10 and my goal is to get back down to 150 which is what I weighed when I bought my wedding dress, I'm now up in the 170's and my wedding is still 13 months away so I need to get back down to it. I wasn't too skinny, but I didn't have much fat on me either. In fact it was about the centre point of the healthy range.
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 9" and I currently weigh 177 lbs. I'm in a size 16 (UK) trousers and size 12/14 tops - I carry a lot of the weight around my tummy area though so I think that's why I'm not a 14 in trousers. I'm aiming for 130-140 lbs which, according to my history, should put me in a size 10. Similar to citrusgirl, I can get my middle finger to completely cover my thumbnail at the moment.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9 and started off on this journey at 180 and to me that was huge! I looked(and felt!) really out of shape.

I'm currently 158 and hoping to get to 145-150. My ultimate goal would be 140, as thats the weight on my drivers license, but I'm not sure if I'll be too thin then. I figure if I ever 145-150 I can just re-*kitten* and lose/add more as needed.
  • kfitz10103
    kfitz10103 Posts: 354
    Options
    I am 5'9" and My goal is 148.
    Originally I just wanted to get the last 10lbs of baby weight off (down to 208), then get to the out of obese range which would take me down to 202. Then I wanted to get to my wedding weight of 178 then to a normal weight of 169, then to my high school weight of 148. I am pretty happy now at 166, but I would love to lose about 18 more lbs. I still haven't lost weight on my face which is driving me crazy. My face looks the same as it did when I weighed 208 before I had kids. I was really slim at 148 and hope that at that weight my face will not be as full.
  • Kimkimba
    Kimkimba Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and currently weigh 192. My goal is 147, which was my normal non-dieting weight before my last 2 kids. I've gotten down to 125 several times, but it's just too skinny. I carry most of my weight in front (especially my stomach), and am not looking forward to the huge pouch (4 C-sections) I'll have once I lose this weight.