Why not reward yourself with food?

I always see people on here saying don't reward yourself with food you aren't a dog. Why not though? I find that when I set goals for myself about food instead of just letting myself have it whenever which I would be doing as the alternative it helps keep me motivated and keeps me from eating junk all the time. For example, my first goal I set when I joined this site was when I lose 10 pounds I can go to the cider mill and get a donut. That kept me focused and committed because I really wanted a donut this fall. If I wouldn't have had that goal I might have went to the cider mill multiple times within that time frame it took me to lose 10 pounds.

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    I think the logic comes from the "you can't out exercise a bad diet" and the "I went to the gym, I have can have a large pizza to myself and not gain now!" way of thinking. So there is some sense in it.

Being able to fit in more treats because I exercise I guess is a form of reward but it's conscious and measured. And I think that's the difference.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Oh and a follow up thought. I think it also comes from the "I'll be good until I lose 20lbs" thing and then reverting back to old habits and having a big blow out because you got to goal. And very rapidly wiping out that work.
  • amanda_deanne
    amanda_deanne Posts: 38 Member
    I reward myself with food all the time. I love food. I also agree with setting other rewards as well, like a new pair of jeans or a night to myself.. however I am all for rewarding myself with a pizza night when I've kicked butt and stayed on track for weeks. Looking forward to it helps keep me on track.
  • Bearbo27
    Bearbo27 Posts: 339 Member
    edited October 2016
    Disclaimer: this is just my opinion of it :)

I think the saying comes from the idea that people will hit a goal, then reward themselves with foods they consider "bad" as a reward. This idea of there being bad foods, is the issue. I incorporate all the foods I like in my daily food intake, including desserts, and have lost weight just fine. In my opinion, this saying is just that you shouldn't go out and eat all these higher calorie foods just because you did good and lost weight. For this to be a permanent change, you should be eating less of the foods you love, but not eliminating completely. OP, you mentioned the donut as a reward. That's not too bad of a reward calorie wise. What are you going to do when you've lost all your weight and you have nothing else to reward yourself for? Will you still eat donuts?

On another note, I've rewarded myself so far with new workout clothes and smaller jeans.
  • LiftingLillan
    LiftingLillan Posts: 4 Member
    It seems to be connected to this idea that food is only fuel and nothing more, also that certain foods are "forbidden" or "bad". I think it's sad. Sure, it's fuel but it's also delicious and part of culture and social life..
    Nothing wrong with rewarding yourself with foods you love, in my opinion. Just do it in moderation, that's all.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Of all the tropes that get tossed around about weight loss, this one - "Don't reward yourself with food. You are not a dog" bothers me the most. People have rewarded themselves and others with food since before recorded history.

If my employer brings in pizza for a special celebration, are they saying that we're dogs? When I take my kids out for ice cream, am I saying they are dogs?

And aside from all that, what's wrong with dogs?

Clearly, you're just one of those people who has Chuihuahuas, and treats them like kids. ;)

My wife wants a purse dog when she's an old lady. As for now we have an awesome Golden as our poocher. We treat her well but not as well as our human kids - I don't care for the term "pet parent" either.

I'm feeling very curmudgeonly today!
  • Paschen81
    Paschen81 Posts: 151 Member
    I don't treat myself worth food because I'm trying to break a sugar addiction... Just like an alcoholic can't toast an occasion with a drink... I can't celebrate an occasion with a treat. But that's me. I'm 10 days without "treats" and with keeping my calories at 1200 I'm proud to be 9 pounds lighter... Still have 140 pounds to go but I can do this, I will do this, I must do this. I must stay disciplined... No treats.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    I like having a sweet treat to look forward to. I also budget my calories for it accordingly. I think a potential problem is that if your "treat" doesn't fit into your nutritional and calorie goals, it's counterproductive for all the hard work you've done. However, I wouldn't have lost as much weight as I have if I'd denied myself all of the treats I've wanted in the past two years. I would have given up long before now.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Eh for me it's not a big deal either way, I just don't see the point of waiting for an excuse to find a donut if I really want one. It's the whole 'demonizing food' thing all over again... putting labels on foods and thinking that some of them should be considered a reward instead of just food.

But in the end, whatever works for you.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    I don't have any issue with rewards of any kind as long as it fits into the budget. This concept of "no rewards" aligns with the elimination strategy which is never effective in the long term. You can eat pizza, chocolate, etc., but just don't overeat these foods. People who avoid these foods until they hit a goal are stacking the odds against them.

• LaReinaDeCorazones
    LaReinaDeCorazones Posts: 274 Member
    I think there's also the risk of abstaining from whatever 'bad' foods or 'treat' foods for so long...that when you finally do get to your goal and that treat, you could end up overdoing it or binging. I myself have lost 13 lbs in the last 7 weeks, and have had pizza a few times, pancakes several times, and sweets daily. It all depends on the person. For me, I'd rather get new clothes, because, well, that's my thing.
  • Sarah_Shapes_Up
    Sarah_Shapes_Up Posts: 76 Member
    This thread is awesome!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    I have tried rewards of all sorts in the past and did not find it motivating so I don't do them. I don't set deadlines for my weight loss anymore either.
    I don't hold back on eating foods I want and like just make it fit my goals. I do have special foods as a part of a celebration like birthday, graduation, anniversary.
    What might be an issue with food rewards for weight loss is the possibility of not learning how to incorporate those foods regularly for life or setting up a very restrictive diet and then ending up binging. I would not put down someone who wanted to try food rewards though. Do what works for you.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Eh for me it's not a big deal either way, I just don't see the point of waiting for an excuse to find a donut if I really want one. It's the whole 'demonizing food' thing all over again... putting labels on foods and thinking that some of them should be considered a reward instead of just food.

Why would anyone reward themselves with something demonic??
  • todduga
    todduga Posts: 18 Member
    On days when I run I often treat myself to something good. Just eating back half the calories usually affords me the ability to enjoy a couple of slices of pizza or some other favorite food. I don't see anything wrong with it. I'm 35 pounds down and it's worked fine for me so far.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    My dogs get to sleep all day and when I put something extra tasty in their dish they eat that first rather than saving it for last the way I do. They are in fantastic shape and very healthy. I have often wished that I could act like them and look half as good. Clearly, I see nothing wrong with dogs. Reward yourself with food if it helps you along.

o2v6uid2ygem.jpg

I love Greys! I have one, too!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    My dogs get to sleep all day and when I put something extra tasty in their dish they eat that first rather than saving it for last the way I do. They are in fantastic shape and very healthy. I have often wished that I could act like them and look half as good. Clearly, I see nothing wrong with dogs. Reward yourself with food if it helps you along.

o2v6uid2ygem.jpg

How can you have just one? We've had 3-4 at a time since 2004. We got down to two for a few weeks, broke down and went to adopt a third but couldn't decide between two (8 year old retired brood mama vs. 2 year old just retired male) so we got them both.

@jprewitt1 , they were definitely trying to figure out how to snag a bit of breakfast.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member

o2v6uid2ygem.jpg

How can you have just one? We've had 3-4 at a time since 2004. We got down to two for a few weeks, broke down and went to adopt a third but couldn't decide between two (8 year old retired brood mama vs. 2 year old just retired male) so we got them both.

@jprewitt1 , they were definitely trying to figure out how to snag a bit of breakfast.

She's our first. We got her in March. Looking forward to getting another in the next year or so! I feel like they should come in value packs when you adopt them. Next time I want to get an old man!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »

Why would anyone reward themselves with something demonic??

I mean considering some foods as something that should only be considered a reward and, as such, avoided the rest of the time. It's just not the way I personally want to see things because then I'm more likely to go overboard when I finally get to eat some. But as I said, I suppose it can work for some people.