Back pain

Options
dopehat
dopehat Posts: 33 Member
Hey everyone! I work out usually 6 days a week doing a mix of weight training and cardio. When I do cardio it's usually half elliptical and half fast walking on the treadmill (for hour minimum). I often get lower back pain though, usually only notice it afterwards. This probably really is a question for the doctor but just wanted to know if this is normal? Maybe I'm not stretching enough or am I not walking the "correct" way?

Replies

• nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    What sort of back pain and where? Do you think its muscle or the spine/vertebrae? Is it in the center, side, lower?
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. I have had chronic back pain for a few years now, but it hurts worse after I walk. I have an inversion table that I get on after walking and it really helps take the edge off. It's something to look into.
  • MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Might be a posture issue? Or possibly a core issue. A strong core will protect your back.
  • skinnyhappy
    skinnyhappy Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Might be a posture issue? Or possibly a core issue. A strong core will protect your back.

I totally agree. My young, 26-year-old husband has back issues already and since we've been taking yoga and are more aware of our posture and using our abs to help us stand up he's had fewer issues with back pain. He still experiences some, but he's had a history of back issues. Anyway, stand tall, use you thighs and abs to hold you up as you move throughout your day and become more aware of how you're standing. Should help at least a bit :)
  • terbear287
    Options
    Could be dehydration.
  • TTHdred
    TTHdred Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Could be a number of things depending on the type of back pain. Is the pain only from cardio? Stretching is important both before and after. Walking and the elliptical. Try checking the type of shoes you have as well. The elliptical is easier on the muscles so maybe more elliptical than walking. Lastly, not sure the boob situation but mine are pretty big. Proper support in that area made a huge difference in the back pains I had after workouts.
  • TTHdred
    TTHdred Posts: 380 Member
    Options

This is also very good advice. Maybe on the weight training days up the core workouts.
  • nurse_carolyn
    Options
    Definately talk to a doctor or a chiropractor (if you believe in them) but stretching will help. Not only stretching your back but all of the muscles that attach to the back. If your hip flexors are tight they will pull your back into a swayed position and this causes strain. Yoga is great for stretching out the whole body.
  • CountryDevil
    CountryDevil Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I myself have lower back injuries that resulted in 4 bulging disks combined with degenerative disk disorder. Long story short, I am pretty much in consistent pain no matter what kind of work out I do. The bad part is that there is nothing that the Dr’s can do right now to fix the worse of the bulging disks since doing so would cause more problems than good right now.

That said, I have to ask what kind of pain you are experiencing. Is it just lower muscle pain or do you have pain that feel s like it is at the bone level and shoots down your buttocks and the back side of your legs? After resting, and try to stand up, do you feel week in your legs?

If you don’t have any of the symptoms listed above, my guess is that you are just experiencing muscle pain. Which is normal if you are using an elliptical and treadmill at an incline since both of these type of exercises will work your lower back buttock muscles. If it is just muscle pain, then it will subside once your body adjusts to everything. But you might try a combination icepacks and Aleve or Ibuprofen (NSAD’s) afterwards. In fact I have also taken either Aleve or Ibuprofen before a workout and was not as sore afterwards as I would be if I take it after.

If you feel that what you are experiencing is more than just muscle pain, I would seek out advice from your Dr to ensure there is not a more serious condition present causing your symptoms.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Disclaimer: I am not a Dr or in any kind of medical profession. The advice given above is based solely on firsthand experience of the conditions listed above.
  • MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 432 Member
    Options

But you might try a combination ice packs and Aleve or Ibuprofen (NSAD’s) afterward. In fact I have also taken either Aleve or Ibuprofen before a workout and was not as sore afterward as I would be if I take it after.

Ice yes. Watch the pain relievers after a workout though. A friend of mine told me (and I found enough online to back him up) that pain relievers like ibuprofen and naproxin can inhibit muscles from repairing and building after a workout. So, if you are trying to tone muscles, hold off about 4 hours after a work out for the meds.

That said, if the pain is excruciating. Take what you need to.

L
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    In addition to all the other suggestions, consider your stretching routine. Very tight hamstrings and glutes (both of which are worked on the elliptical and somewhat in walking) will eventually affect your lower back.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    One of the main reasons for low back issues is................................tight hamstrings. If you can't reach your toes with your legs practically straight, then your hamstrings are "pulling" on your low back.
  • dopehat
    dopehat Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone. Thanks so much for taking the time to reply, some of which are so detailed!

So the back pain is lower back, I can feel there's some muscle pain (which I'm not worried about) but I feel like some of it is the spine. It's from like middle back to the bottom of the back bone and I can feel/hear it cracking quite a bit after a work out.

I've started working on my core so hopefully that will help. Some of this may well be paranoia (I do have a "thing" about my back). I don't feel it's due to tight hamstrings as it's very easy for me to keep my legs straight and touch my toes. And it doesn't really seem to affect my back when I bend over, more when I stand up or lie down. The pain seems to happen the most after walking or running (on the treadmill or wherever). I think it's possible that I may not be adopting the best posture so I'll work on that more. I feel I may not be standing up straight enough. Also, the runners I have are very cheap and a couple of people here have mentioned that could contribute.. When I have the money I'd love to get some nice ones! (do you really need to spend much?)

To CountryDevil: After resting and I stand up, I don't particularly feel weak in my legs. Maybe very slightly if it's been a big workout.

So anyway, like I said, I'm probably making a big deal out of nothing but I've always been paranoid about my back and wouldn't want to injure it!

Thanks again for all of your responses, I really appreciate it :)