Why not reward yourself with food?

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Eh for me it's not a big deal either way, I just don't see the point of waiting for an excuse to find a donut if I really want one. It's the whole 'demonizing food' thing all over again... putting labels on foods and thinking that some of them should be considered a reward instead of just food.

But in the end, whatever works for you.

Why would anyone reward themselves with something demonic??
  • todduga
    todduga Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    On days when I run I often treat myself to something good. Just eating back half the calories usually affords me the ability to enjoy a couple of slices of pizza or some other favorite food. I don't see anything wrong with it. I'm 35 pounds down and it's worked fine for me so far.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    My dogs get to sleep all day and when I put something extra tasty in their dish they eat that first rather than saving it for last the way I do. They are in fantastic shape and very healthy. I have often wished that I could act like them and look half as good. Clearly, I see nothing wrong with dogs. Reward yourself with food if it helps you along.

o2v6uid2ygem.jpg

I love Greys! I have one, too!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    My dogs get to sleep all day and when I put something extra tasty in their dish they eat that first rather than saving it for last the way I do. They are in fantastic shape and very healthy. I have often wished that I could act like them and look half as good. Clearly, I see nothing wrong with dogs. Reward yourself with food if it helps you along.

o2v6uid2ygem.jpg

How can you have just one? We've had 3-4 at a time since 2004. We got down to two for a few weeks, broke down and went to adopt a third but couldn't decide between two (8 year old retired brood mama vs. 2 year old just retired male) so we got them both.

@jprewitt1 , they were definitely trying to figure out how to snag a bit of breakfast.
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options

o2v6uid2ygem.jpg

How can you have just one? We've had 3-4 at a time since 2004. We got down to two for a few weeks, broke down and went to adopt a third but couldn't decide between two (8 year old retired brood mama vs. 2 year old just retired male) so we got them both.

@jprewitt1 , they were definitely trying to figure out how to snag a bit of breakfast.

She's our first. We got her in March. Looking forward to getting another in the next year or so! I feel like they should come in value packs when you adopt them. Next time I want to get an old man!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Eh for me it's not a big deal either way, I just don't see the point of waiting for an excuse to find a donut if I really want one. It's the whole 'demonizing food' thing all over again... putting labels on foods and thinking that some of them should be considered a reward instead of just food.

I mean considering some foods as something that should only be considered a reward and, as such, avoided the rest of the time. It's just not the way I personally want to see things because then I'm more likely to go overboard when I finally get to eat some. But as I said, I suppose it can work for some people.
  • 25lbsorbust
    25lbsorbust Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Generally people don't do it if they have some sort of disordered eating pattern that means that food-based reward could cause an avalanche of bad choices. However, if you're like me and are lucky to not face those triggers and patterns, food-related rewards are totally fine.
  • JamestheLiar
    JamestheLiar Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Dogs eat poo. Mic drop
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

I mean considering some foods as something that should only be considered a reward and, as such, avoided the rest of the time. It's just not the way I personally want to see things because then I'm more likely to go overboard when I finally get to eat some. But as I said, I suppose it can work for some people.

I can better understand that. But the demonizing food remark seemed very odd in this context. Saving a favorite high calorie food for a reward is pretty far from demonizing it.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I think the logic comes from the "you can't out exercise a bad diet" and the "I went to the gym, I have can have a large pizza to myself and not gain now!" way of thinking. So there is some sense in it.

Being able to fit in more treats because I exercise I guess is a form of reward but it's conscious and measured. And I think that's the difference.

Yes, exactly this.

I fit in my treats because I'm always making choices. The difference now is that it's not a free for all. The "rewarding yourself with food" problem is with those who undo all their progress.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I rewarded myself with a milk frother, and now every morning after my post-run shower is reward time.

I recently discovered the joys of brewing cocoa, and I have a pot of that with frothed Fairlife milk for breakfast.

Chocolately heaven.

I guess I'm a dog. Or a hedon.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I rewarded myself with a milk frother, and now every morning after my post-run shower is reward time.

I recently discovered the joys of brewing cocoa, and I have a pot of that with frothed Fairlife milk for breakfast.

Chocolately heaven.

I guess I'm a dog. Or a hedon.

Whoa, what a great idea--frothed chocolate. I am going to have to look into frothers now.
  • CaptainJoy
    CaptainJoy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I just can't fathom rewarding myself with food, the very thing that got me in this fat mess. Too much food caused me to become morbidly obese. I couldn't get the job I wanted because they put me on medical hold. Something about requiring sleep apnea tests before my application could proceed. The weight caused injury to my knees to the point where I couldn't kneel at the alter to pray. My back ached terribly after short walks because I was carrying too much weight. All caused by eating too much. No thank you. I don't care for donuts but I'll fit a Klondike bar into my daily diet if that's what I'm craving.

As far as rewards go, I am rewarding myself with a 10K walk/run through the Christmas lights at Callaway Gardens this December. I am rewarding myself with a trip to see my grandkids where we will go hiking through the state park. There will be more rewards but they will not be food.

99081209.png
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I reward myself with a small piece of chocolate at the end of every day. (within calorie budget, of course)

My pups are mutts, but look like they have some whippet or greyhound in them.

q2bssno50dsk.jpg
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    I love those snooters! All this thread has done is make me want to adopt another Grey!