Best exercise to do to burn calories/fat?

Options
Wot exercises are best to burn fat/ calories? Any advice would be helpful.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    calorie deficit
  • leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    calorie deficit is more important than exercise. Any form of exercise will burn calories, however, its going to be CICO that will result in weight loss/gain.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Eat less & move more.

Eating 500 calories less is not nearly as hard as burning 500 calories. Besides if you are not actively managing portions, exercise may cause you to eat more.

Exercise because you like it, exercise because it's so good for your health. Find an exercise that you can do for a lifetime.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Cal-or-ie deficit!!!

Exercise for fun and health benefits and body composition changes (those are nice :) )
  • applesandtapeline
    applesandtapeline Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    An answer to your question - high intensity interval training (sprinting etc.) Google HIIT and choose which one is more appealing. ;)
  • sarahlovesfood25
    sarahlovesfood25 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Thnx everyone :)
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I would focus on maintaining a calorie deficit. Obviously to maintain your calorie deficit exercise is an important factor to consider as it can vary how much your output is by a fairly large margin.

If you are new to working out I would not focus too much on maximum burn from the get go (unless you actually enjoy it and it excites you and gets you hyped then go for it). Focus on activities you enjoy. I enjoy playing basketball and watching Movies/Tv shows on cardio machines. Find what you enjoy because that is what will stick.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Any exercise you will do consistently will be the best bet. The type doesn't matter, although of course some things burn more than others (and some are easier to do longer than others).

When I started I focused on hitting a net calorie goal and making exercise a consistent part of my life, not on burning the maximum number of calories. Now I choose my exercise based on fitness goals and (again) what I enjoy.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Exercise you enjoy.

Seriously.

Exercise you enjoy is exercise you'll keep doing. If you love running, run. If you love lifting, lift. If you love playing basketball, play basketball. Anything that gets you on your feet and moving will burn *some* calories.

Some exercise lets you eat more than other types (and some makes you hungrier). But, at the end of the day, adherence is the name of the game so pick something you like and just do it.
  • francescacoscia16
    francescacoscia16 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have no idea to be honest, but I love running. To tell you the truth, I think that what has helped me most in the past months, rather than running, was the calorie deficit, as many others have pointed out.
    But I still kept running because I liked it and it made me feel active.
  • jrdahm2424
    jrdahm2424 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    calorie deficit is easiest, as everyone else said, however for the most fat burning exercises my top 3 are jogging, running and sprinting, and swimming.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Well I suppose most bang for your buck in terms of something you can do reliably that burns a lot of calories and can be done basically anywhere would be running followed by jogging followed by walking.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
  • dreawest
    dreawest Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Of the exercises I do zumba is by far the highest burn. I love it but it is obvious how much harder I'm working because at the end I am dripping wet and exhausted. The exercise I do the most is walking and in comparison it is a minuscule burn but neither is better than the other for me. I can walk with a colleague and need to be able to walk to enjoy my life. Zumba on the weekend makes me feel great, like I achieved something.

It is true that the biggest thing is a calorie deficit and that you should find exercise that you enjoy but if you are looking at different options and want to know how they measure up just look them up in the calculator and see what 30 minutes of each would burn and you'll get a sense of how they differ.