Intolerable gas

Options
So I have never been a huge protein eater. Moderate...maybe 45-50 grams a day. Today I started a lifestyle change and increased my protein. I was fine all day and ate dinner. An hour afterwards I have horrific gas trapped in my stomach. I'm miserable. Is this from the protein increase

Replies

• SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Might be. Try slowly increasing the protein intake by 10 g every day or two rather than doubling it all in one go.
  • 35nowak
    35nowak Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm not a nutritionist, but protein does make me gassy. Probiotics help me. Also the type of protein shake--Dymatize and UMP work for me as well. But definitely seek out a certified nutritionist.

http://www.prevention.com/weight-loss/weight-loss-tips/4-ways-avoid-protein-shake-bloat
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=7134721
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    a registered dietitian would be better,but yeah protein can give you gas, have you increased protein from natural sources?(chicken,eggs,beef,etc?) or from powders and bars? if the latter it could also be something in the product causing gas and you may have an intolerance to it.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    raw

fart-on-fire-o.gif
  • marisanne
    marisanne Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    a registered dietitian would be better,but yeah protein can give you gas, have you increased protein from natural sources?(chicken,eggs,beef,etc?) or from powders and bars? if the latter it could also be something in the product causing gas and you may have an intolerance to it.

Today I ate 2 eggs with 1.5 cup egg whites
    4 oz ground beef
    1 scoop protein powder at 1:30 I did not feel the least bit crappy...got home and ate my dinner with 4 oz chicken and not long after that I can't even lol
  • marisanne
    Options
    marisanne wrote: »

Today I ate 2 eggs with 1.5 cup egg whites
    4 oz ground beef
    1 scoop protein powder at 1:30 I did not feel the least bit crappy...got home and ate my dinner with 4 oz chicken and not long after that I can't even lol

Excuse 1/2 cup egg whites
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    What did you have with the chicken?
  • marisanne
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    What did you have with the chicken?

6 ounces of mixed vegetables cooked in one tbsp of coconut oil
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Were the mixed veggies particularly fibrous? Brussels sprouts involved, by chance? I'd be inclined to blame fiber before I'd blame protein, especially since the gas didn't hit until after dinner, and you had already had plenty of protein, without issue, throughout the day. Just a thought.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    Were the mixed veggies particularly fibrous? Brussels sprouts involved, by chance? I'd be inclined to blame fiber before I'd blame protein, especially since the gas didn't hit until after dinner, and you had already had plenty of protein, without issue, throughout the day. Just a thought.

I agree it sounds like the veggies caused it. 6oz at once is a lot of veggies.could also be the coconut oil(I know me and coconut oil dont get along,but I can eat coconut with no issues
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    I would just keep a note of it happening and see if it continues. if so note when it happens. maybe that way you can narrow it down to what may be causing it.eggs can make you gassy but since you ate them early and had no issues I would say thats not the culprit. heck it could even be from something you ate last night fermenting in your stomach,I have had that happen too.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I eat a lot of protein (180-220g) everyday.

I ingest papaya (papain) and pineapple (bromelain) enzyme with each meal which helps digest all of the protein and reduce gas (which is a product of undigested protein).

I also eat sauerkraut as a probiotic but it is of no value in controlling gas arising ft om undigested protein.