Eating well (Away from home)

Options
Hello everyone!

I'm almost five weeks into eating well and have successfully lost almost 5kg!

At the same time as eating healthy, I started a new job in my third week. On my second day I was told I had to go on a buisness trip in two weeks (this week now). Aside from a few work related concerns I was also worried for my healthy eating and exercising.

So now I'm on the trip and I have a few issues and concerns. I'm here for two weeks so it really is worrying me and I know stress can be losing weights big enemy.

1. There are no casual gyms here!!! Mine isn't here and the rest involve becoming a member for at least 6 months. I've found a good walking route that is nice and long without traffic but is it enough?

2. My eating habits which aren't even close to being as bad as it was prior the healthy eating - are still presently bad cause I'm so stressed and self conscious of what I eat. The company only pays for my breakfast (which is the best meal I'm getting health wise at the moment) and dinner. Dinner is a real struggle for me as I only have two pubs that bill back to the room and as it's pub food it's either chips salad or potato with vegetables. I really struggle with just salad so prefer the vegetables and mash but I've been trying to avoid complex carbs. Is it okay if I have some potato now and again? I can't survive two weeks on just vegies for choice alone and can't portion control rice with just my eyes alone.

3. I've been really struggling being alone in a new area, dieting, no gym to go to and learning a whole new job at the same time so my sugar cravings have been super intense. I've been saiting them with fruit but wondered how bad it would be to allow myself a soft drink within my calorie limit of course. I ask this as it's what I did in the start of my diet to weene myself off soft drink. I promised I could have one at the end of the day if I really needed it and 2/7 days in my first week I had one which was big compared to my 3 a day! I'm only hesitant as I have no gym to go to, to burn heaps of calories I can track more accurately than on my own. I don't think this will make me binge - in fact it's less likely to make me binge if I have the option. I just don't want to lose all my progress and I have no scales to weight myself at all

4. I need simple snack ideas through out the day that don't include fruit or biscuits as since being here I've only had breakfast and dinner and don't want my metabolism to slow down

5. One last unrelated question - even thoggg I've lost weight I feel like I look fatter now :( does anyone get like this too?

Thanks!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Exercise to get stonger and feel good. You lose weight by being in a calorie deficit, and you can do that without exercising.

As long as you are in a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. What you eat and drink will not influence that.

Eat and drink in a way, any way, that doesn't make you overeat.

Please lose the fluff - metabolism doesn't slow down if you don't snack; snack if you want to. Your feeling of fatness may be totally unrelated to real loss or gain.
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Do you have a refrigerator? A kitchen?

Is there a grocery store in the area? Where do the local people buy their food? You could google the area to find out. That's where I would head. Otherwise, I would do the best I could with the pub food.

You can find some workouts of Youtube that you could do in your hotel.
  • gabbyo23
    gabbyo23 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Your company will pay for your meals if you chose to take them. There's no reason why you cant opt out of dinner at the pub. Go to your nnearest shop and buy yourself some oatcakes, hummus, fruit, salads if you have a fridge....honestly I think it's as simple as going to a drop and getting what you need. No one is forcing you to eat mashed potato just because your in a different town.....the same foods exist where you are as at home!

If you're worried about money I'm sure you an explain to your boss that you have dietary requirements not met by the local pub, and ask if they would cover food bought elsewhere...sso was them reciepts it will be cheaper for them anyway!!!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Does your company not give you a Per Diem? Not sure what the company policy is where you work, but surely your company gives you a set rate each day for food that can be purchased anywhere even at a local food store or grocery store.. Hotel room have a coffee pot and microwave?

As far a exercise, this is where I use anything.. Body weight exercises in my hotel room, find a local park or run/walk trail or other safe places to walk/run, work out videos on my PC..
  • francescacoscia16
    francescacoscia16 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to reply to the last question, YES YES aand YES. Even though I lost weight, since lately I haven't been too healthy in my food choices, I do indeed feel fat =w= I guess that just goes to show that the mirror is not important, rather how comfortable you feel with yourself, that's why it's so important to listen to one's own needs rather than other people telling you "oh you lost so much weight".
    Guess what your body is telling you, is that it wants exercising and healthy food, you just have to listen to it :)
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Yes a portion of potatos are fine. Can you just ask for grilled chicken at the pub?
  • leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I was on weekly travel from Jan to March and bi-weekly travel from March - August. The struggle is real, so I completely sympathize with you. Here are a few tricks I used and gathered from my other friends who were also on travel:
      [
    1. Go to a grocery store and get food/snacks for the week
    2. if you're going to eat out, either eat 1/2 your portions, it doesn't matter what you eat you can eat 1/2 a burger or 1/2 a grilled chicken wrap, you don't need to limit to mashed and veggies
    3. for lunch, if there's a Whole Foods or similar grocery store where you can get salads or prepped meals from a buffet style you can pick and choose what you want
    4. for breakfast, my hotel had a freezer in the fridge, so I got frozen fruit and cereal and kept that in my fridge/freezer
    5. If your hotel has a breakfast buffet option, they usually have scrambled eggs or bagels or cereal, all of which you can quickly add in MFP
    6. In terms of the gym, I lucked out and my hotel had a gym and I found a gym that was at home and where I was traveling so I joined that and supplemented with the hotel gym, but going on long walks will do the trick as well, especially if you're prone to coming back to your hotel after work and binging and watching tv./list]
  • kulotsalot13
    kulotsalot13 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you have some room to move around in your hotel room, download Nike Training Club app. Lots of no-equipment exercises to choose from, and you can filter based on intensity, length of time, your fitness level (beginner to advanced) etc. Since downloading that app, "no gym" is not an excuse for me anymore. :)