Eating well (Away from home)

Options
Hello everyone!

I'm almost five weeks into eating well and have successfully lost almost 5kg!

At the same time as eating healthy, I started a new job in my third week. On my second day I was told I had to go on a buisness trip in two weeks (this week now). Aside from a few work related concerns I was also worried for my healthy eating and exercising.

So now I'm on the trip and I have a few issues and concerns. I'm here for two weeks so it really is worrying me and I know stress can be losing weights big enemy.

1. There are no casual gyms here!!! Mine isn't here and the rest involve becoming a member for at least 6 months. I've found a good walking route that is nice and long without traffic but is it enough?

2. My eating habits which aren't even close to being as bad as it was prior the healthy eating - are still presently bad cause I'm so stressed and self conscious of what I eat. The company only pays for my breakfast (which is the best meal I'm getting health wise at the moment) and dinner. Dinner is a real struggle for me as I only have two pubs that bill back to the room and as it's pub food it's either chips salad or potato with vegetables. I really struggle with just salad so prefer the vegetables and mash but I've been trying to avoid complex carbs. Is it okay if I have some potato now and again? I can't survive two weeks on just vegies for choice alone and can't portion control rice with just my eyes alone.

3. I've been really struggling being alone in a new area, dieting, no gym to go to and learning a whole new job at the same time so my sugar cravings have been super intense. I've been saiting them with fruit but wondered how bad it would be to allow myself a soft drink within my calorie limit of course. I ask this as it's what I did in the start of my diet to weene myself off soft drink. I promised I could have one at the end of the day if I really needed it and 2/7 days in my first week I had one which was big compared to my 3 a day! I'm only hesitant as I have no gym to go to, to burn heaps of calories I can track more accurately than on my own. I don't think this will make me binge - in fact it's less likely to make me binge if I have the option. I just don't want to lose all my progress and I have no scales to weight myself at all

4. I need simple snack ideas through out the day that don't include fruit or biscuits as since being here I've only had breakfast and dinner and don't want my metabolism to slow down

5. One last unrelated question - even thoggg I've lost weight I feel like I look fatter now :( does anyone get like this too?

Thanks!

Replies

• bogwoppt1
    bogwoppt1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Does your hotel room have a microwave or small kitchen? When I travel I tend to gravitate to places that are more extended stay suites and then I go to the grocery store and buy food. Eating out is hard for prolonged periods.

For dinner, if you are paying, you really do not have to eat at the hotel. So hard to calculate calories in hotel food.

When I do eat out Panera is a go to, they have some very filling meals that are low cal and delicious. Their power hummus bowl is my current fav.

Simple snacks there are the same as at home, go to the store and stock up on the things you would normally snack on.

Yes you can eat anything you want, as long as it fits within the calories.

Does your hotel have a gym? They are rarely awesome, but better than nothing. Otherwise use your computer and find some youtube workouts to do in your room. I used to use a 15 minute one, nearly killed me, but was over really fast. Walking is a great workout, may favourite to be honest, walk briskly and get those arms swinging.
  • tahxirez
    tahxirez Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Talk to the hotel, even if your room doesn't come with a fridge/microwave often you can request them from the desk. Shelf stable snacks: plain nuts (portion controlled if possible) whole fruits, loaf of multigrain or sprouted bread and portion controlled nut butter (combine with an apple or banana for a filling lunch), use the coffee pot to heat water and make some oatmeal with fruit and nut butter (this is a lot of nut butter and it is calorie dense but without a fridge options are somewhat limited.) Low sugar granola bars, whole wheat crackers, low sodium jerky, tuna pouches. For workouts the walks are great and check out fitness blender for some short workouts. For dinner get out of that hotel or get off menu. By off menu I mean (nicely) tell the kitchen you're about to be a pain and that you need your dinner portioned for you (use measuring cups) if you're sweet to them and they're not busy I'm sure they'll be happy to help.