IBS

Any IBS sufferers out there got any diet tips for me please?
Ps I'm a vegetarian.

Replies

• HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Dr recommended to cut out gluten completely. I had ulcerative colitis as well as IBS for many years but the next colonoscopy was clear and most of my really bad IBS attacks had stopped....

Over time I have come to realize that I reacte to varying degrees to all grains, even those that are gluten free.

Long story short I just work on mitigating those effects by only having problem foods spareingly and in tiny amounts well spaced over time.

It's all a bugger and hassle and I'm eat meat, you may have issues with keeping up with nutrition doing this due to being vegetarian.

Hope others chime in with their suggestions. Good luck.
  • CallaLilyNess
    CallaLilyNess Posts: 32 Member
    Hi, I was diagnosed with IBS years ago and that was a time when the availability of food substitutes weren't so pervasive as they are now. Diet did seem to help me along with the meds the doctor prescribed. I cut out gluten but also dairy. Currently, I'm a pescatarian and since then I've eliminated all common allergens, coffee, and I only eat cold water fish. I also have gallbladder and liver issues; so, diet is how I'm trying to handle things. I definitely know your pain. It hurts a lot.
  • Sira125
    Sira125 Posts: 152 Member
    I was diagnosed with IBS a number of years ago. After antispasmodics made my loopy I stopped taking them and instead added fiber to my diet. Basically, as long as I get enough fiber I don't really have problems. I am pretty lucky.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    I have ibs, which was much worse when i was vegetarian. Since going paleo 9 yeats ago its much better. I got braces 6 months ago and found it easier to go back to soft bread, cake etc and since then ibs has played up.

I was veggie as im not fond of meat but i have no issues with eating animals.
  • katetots
    katetots Posts: 35 Member
    Thanks both. Not getting anywhere with the antispasmodics and have been a little afraid of too much fibre. I can't pin point anything in my diet but suspect Diet Coke doesn't help too much!
    I don't have a problem with killing animals but have tried meat in the last few years but just do t like the texture.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Dr recommended to cut out gluten completely. I had ulcerative colitis as well as IBS for many years but the next colonoscopy was clear and most of my really bad IBS attacks had stopped....

Over time I have come to realize that I reacte to varying degrees to all grains, even those that are gluten free.

Long story short I just work on mitigating those effects by only having problem foods spareingly and in tiny amounts well spaced over time.

It's all a bugger and hassle and I'm eat meat, you may have issues with keeping up with nutrition doing this due to being vegetarian.

You still have uc ;) you are in remission
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Try the low fodmap diet it will help you find out your triggers. I did and it helped so much.
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member

Yeah....I have found that to be very true @singingflutelady but it is very sad that I had to find that out on my own not by being advised by the Gastro. Dr. Now battling the Lupus et al I have noticed that despite my best endeavours I am 'flaring' now and again more and more....it can be a battle.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member

Yeah....I have found that to be very true @singingflutelady but it is very sad that I had to find that out on my own not by being advised by the Gastro. Dr. Now battling the Lupus et al I have noticed that despite my best endeavours I am 'flaring' now and again more and more....it can be a battle.

Oh it is (I have crohn's colitis not uc but it is still IBD)