P90X Day 1 BLUES... =(

Options
I completed Day 1 of P90X on Monday (Chest & Back and Ab RIpper X). I am so sore. I couldn't do Plyo last night, but did a 6 mile run/walk. Any suggestions? Should I try to push through the pain, stretch more, reduce the weight I used?

Replies

• Hicksbc
    Hicksbc Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you! I have not started P90X YET! I think I will be so sore but I need to soon!
  • olag00
    olag00 Posts: 222
    Options
    Push through! If I didn't do the exercises because of soreness I would have never finished. You are constantly confusing your muscles so they are going to be sore throughout the program, but it is a good kind of sore! The first week is hell but it will get better!
  • deanmarino
    deanmarino Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    If you did a 6 mile run/walk then you could have done plyo, always push play, do your best and forget the rest. Bring it!
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    push thru as much as you can, lighten your weights a tad and make sure you drink some kind of recovery drink, it can be the p90x recovery drink or it can be a glass of chocolate milk after you workout, those things should help you
  • arodriguez24
    arodriguez24 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    It will start to get better after a few weeks. For now just warm up properly and do what you can, you will improve. When I'm sore I do a nice 3-5 minute warm up and then stretch, this always minimizes my soreness. The good thing about P90X is that they change the body parts worked everyday so this will help you in the long run.

Just keep bringing it bro, you will be fine!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I completed Day 1 of P90X on Monday (Chest & Back and Ab RIpper X). I am so sore. I couldn't do Plyo last night, but did a 6 mile run/walk. Any suggestions? Should I try to push through the pain, stretch more, reduce the weight I used?

Yes push through the pain, you will get use to it. Don't skip Plyo, just pick it up the next day, this workout is great.
  • ninjahonor
    ninjahonor Posts: 13
    Options
    A common misconception is that you MUST do the exact same amount of reps that the people on the DVD do. The truth is, you should only do as much as you are comfortable doing. This requires some discipline because you have to know when to not overdo it, but you also have to know when to push yourself.

Eventually you will want to work up to doing as much as the instructors on the DVD do. I look at that as a goal, not a starting point.

Keep it up! You will get where you want to be.
  • ashleynicoleb
    ashleynicoleb Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I'd say push through it and give it your best =) I was incredibly sore in the beginning of P90x too
  • kmlohmann
    kmlohmann Posts: 1
    Options
    Way to Go, Starting is always the hardest. are you using myfitnesspal to track your food? how much protein are you getting. when you are doing heavy lifting like P90X you should be consuming 1 gram of protein for every pound of lean body mass. That will help with the soreness.
  • melleyd
    melleyd Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Keep pushing play! I am on week 6 and so glad I pushed play!!!
  • LadyPippen
    LadyPippen Posts: 59
    Options
    Results & Recovery formula helps reduce soreness. You may also have to drink more water to help flush toxins, but in any case you gotta bring it!
  • knewbill72
    knewbill72 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Day 1, Week 1, & Month 1 will require your intestinal fortitude. It will hurt, its not easy, however, at the end of your 90 days you'll be glad you didn't give up or in! BRING IT!
  • lisakreymborg
    Options
    Hey there, I know how hard it is to keep going when you are really sore and it is frustrating when you first start a new program. With P90X you really should push through unless you are injured. The key is to stretch at night, and really well before the next workout, and after. Do a lot more stretching than what they do in the video, you will begin to loosen up and though the workout might be a bit hard, your body will feel better after and will adjust to the workout. The thing about P90X is that you will get used to this workout and then in 3 weeks, you take a recovery week and then start a new routine and get sore all over again. That is the beauty of it, your muscles are not going to get too used to it ever so embrace the soreness because it means your body is changing and getting stronger. If you get so sore that it seems impossible to do certain workouts, sub in other workouts like you did. Instead of plyo you can do cardio x for a lower impact workout, instead of chest and back you can do core synergistics. Just try to do the usual workout and if it is way too hard sub something lighter in. Drink tons of water to wash out that lactic acid, and eat bananas for some potassium. Lots of stretching will help though. You will be sore a lot, but it is really worth it!
  • awal2069
    awal2069 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you. Just started it Monday as well. Didn't do Plyo last night, as we got in way too late from work and another commitment, but we WILL push play tonight. I am so sore I could hardly move today, but it is a good sore. Being a girl, I feel so incompetent doing some of these moves, but that is not stopping me from doing them. I wish you luck, and know you are not the only one in the P90X boat. Looks like we started at the same time, so if you need some encouragement, and me likewise, let me know!
    GOOD LUCK!
    Seems like there are a LOT of people here that have done workouts, so that is a big encouraging factor.
  • SeaMonkey83
    Options
    I am right there with you. Just started it Monday as well. Didn't do Plyo last night, as we got in way too late from work and another commitment, but we WILL push play tonight. I am so sore I could hardly move today, but it is a good sore. Being a girl, I feel so incompetent doing some of these moves, but that is not stopping me from doing them. I wish you luck, and know you are not the only one in the P90X boat. Looks like we started at the same time, so if you need some encouragement, and me likewise, let me know!
    GOOD LUCK!
    Seems like there are a LOT of people here that have done workouts, so that is a big encouraging factor.

Are you doing Plyo tonight or the scheduled Shoulders, Arms and Abs?
  • neotiger
    neotiger Posts: 6
    Options
    Hey friend.. we did day 1 Monday and day 2 plyo yesterday and yes I'm a little sore(probably more than a little).. the good thing about these videos is that you can pace yourself.. you don't have to kill yourself the first time you do it although I tried to do it in pace with them.. but like I said the other day I've been doing Spartacus for about 8 weeks and I am thankful for that.. this every day stuff is not going to be easy but hang in there and git er done.. :)
  • neotiger
    neotiger Posts: 6
    Options
    One more thing you may want to do is take alka seltzer or baking soda. It reduces lactic acid crystallization. It works for me.
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I was sore every single day for a while. You just gotta do it! There were times where I'd just lay there on the floor with head down on the carpet moaning (really!!!) but hey I pushed play. :wink:
  • awal2069
    awal2069 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Tonight it will be Ploymetrics. I am apprehensive as I have been told this is brutal, but I am excited as well. I am following the Classic plan, which one are you following?
  • SeaMonkey83
    Options
    I have done Plyo in the past. It's not too bad. I liked it better than Chest & Back. I'm going to try to do Plyo this afternoon and maybe Shoulders & Arms tonight. I don't know though. Today is our 4 year anniversary, so we'll see what gets done and what doesn't.