WALKING

Options
Needing some motivation on starting my walking routine. I need to burn more calories.

Replies

• JoBFit
    JoBFit Posts: 81
    Options
    Put your favourite music on and just go for it !!
  • joymeg1
    joymeg1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Walk with a buddy, get some new music to walk to, log your time and try to increase your speed, distance, and/or time spent walking. If you are walking outdoors and have an iPhone there is a great app that tracks your route and can tell you how far you walked, your pace and calories burned. And then stores all your workouts so you can see your progress. It can be motivating. Set a specific time you plan to walk and "just do it". Good luck.
  • MelsDiet
    MelsDiet Posts: 69
    Options
    I try to have somewhere to go rather than just a circuit. For example, once my little one finally wakes up from his nap, Im going to walk to town and back. I dont really need to go to town but it gives me somewhere to actually get to. Good Luck
  • cafeteriagirl
    cafeteriagirl Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    i started something new today. I tracked 2 miles and am going to try to beat my time each day i walk it. hopefully that will help take these lbs. off
  • farmboy60
    farmboy60 Posts: 21
    Options
    Join one of the monthly challenges. It helped me double the amount of exercise that I was doing and I discovered I could probably be doing more.
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    i found that using an app to track and time my walks motivated me.

tech geek, what can i say.
  • Nessiep
    Nessiep Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    i love walking !!! ive walked 8 1/2 miles this week so far ...i go with a friend or jump on treadmill and walk to music or put a fav film on rather than sitting about....itry to walk at leat 12-15 miles a week so walking works for me.!:smile:
  • Janlyn51
    Janlyn51 Posts: 25
    Options
    Name of walking apps, please. Thanks:flowerforyou:
  • MrsPalek
    MrsPalek Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm with you- I can't motivated to walk...I can't run due to health issues. I want to go somewhere to get out of the heat. Does curves have treadmills- lol
  • cshore54
    cshore54 Posts: 70
    Options
    Decide you are going to walk with a joyful heart. Tell yourself you are happy and so very grateful that you can propel yourself with your own 2 feet and legs. You may have to fake it til you make it, but don't set out with dread in your heart. Attitude is so important. I start every walk by naming 5 things I am grateful for. They don't have to be big things. Sometimes it's a gentle breeze, the smell of the pine trees, flowers or someone drying clothes, or a cloud that shields me from the sun. This may sound lame, but it changed my attitude big time. There was a time when I faced my walks with dread, resentment that I felt I had to do this and was even angry that I needed to do this. Now I am transitioning to jogging and can't belive that I am actually able to do it. I just tell myself no excuses, do what my MY body will let me and smile. BTW, I have a right knee that doesn't work well, have had 2 back surgeries and am currently on chemo for a rare type of incurable cancer. I am slow, like I said, I just do what my body can do and do it joyously. Good luck finding your motivation and with all your personal efforts to make your body the best it can be.

SW 271
    CW 161
    GW 141
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Borrow a friend's dog or volunteer to walk one at an animal shelter. They make the best walking buddies ever!
  • QueenT24
    QueenT24 Posts: 15
    Options
    I agree with cshore54. You have to start somewhere and you have to be excited to do it. For me, morning workouts work best because I fee a sense of accomplisment to start out my day. With my current schedule, I can't workout until later in the day, but I look forward to it because I like to sweat and I know sweating is good!!

Set attainable goals and do what you can. Be sure to push yourself and dont settle for mediocrity. Good luck and get going!!!
  • QueenT24
    QueenT24 Posts: 15
    Options
    Oh, some apps for tracking your walk are cardio tracker or cardio trainer. Those are free apps.
  • Janlyn51
    Options
    THANKS...YOU ARE AN INSPIRATION. :love:
  • Janlyn51
    Options
    Runkeeper is also a good one. My friend told me about it and it is easy to use. I needed that LOL
  • fitnhealthymama2
    fitnhealthymama2 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    RunKeeper is great! I use that for my runs & walks.

I find music keeps me going for running, but walks it tends to annoy me.
    For walks I love to listen to podcasts - usually about health & fitness. I don't have time to listen to them any other time, so my walks is my me time to do it.
  • winneau
    winneau Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I agree with Mama :tongue: Podcasts ( I listen to history podcasts, This American Life, Radiolab, etc.) & an app that tracks my calories burned really motivate me to do my daily after-dinner walk. Try the app called Endomondo, I love it!
  • Kmarr32010
    Kmarr32010 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I LOVE walking but due to the heat we are having I'm using the Leslie Sansone walking dvd's and walking in the comfort of my house. LOL I can do 4 miles in an hour with just one of her videos. If you're interested in an extra boost of walking you should check her videos out.