Hello! Any tips for a newbie?

Options
I've dipped in and out of MFP, but this is my first time posting. I do struggle to stay within 1200 cals per day, how does everyone else do it? I'm trying to follow a plant-based diet, but MFP oftens tells my sugar or fat consumption is too high, and I'm reluctant to cut down on fruit and nuts. Hoping by counting cals, I'll increase my exercise. The more I burn, the more I can eat and less grumpy I'll be...hopefully!

Replies

• Meghanebk
    Meghanebk Posts: 321 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    If you have to struggle to stay within your calorie goal, your weight loss rate may be too ambitious. I know I'm much more likely to stick with it if I am not denying myself foods I like. Maybe step down a level? From 1.5 to 1 lb per week, or whatever rate you chose. I'd much rather lose slowly and keep it off than lose fast and gain it back by returning to old eating habits.

Increasing protein usually makes people less hungry. You could try plant based protein powder to help with protein levels - one shake or a scoop mixed with something a day really helps me keep my levels up. Mine's whey though. I have a vegetarian coworker who keeps a tub of MRM Veggie protein in her desk and mixes it in almond milk or yogurt for snacks.
  • BigGrubber
    BigGrubber Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'd be so happy to lose 1lb a week, would take longer, but at least I'd be heading in the right direction! Thanks for the tip about the veggie protein, I'll have a look at that. Sounds a much healthier snack than my usual crisps, etc. :)
  • jaspannu
    jaspannu Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    For less Suger, I suggest to JUST watch out your food and you will learn that what food you should not eat in the same day. For example i do not eat watermelon, cantaloupe and peach on the same day they are high in suger, I normaly take coffee with NO Suger. or i will watch my food plan and adjust my suger intake accordingly.

Try to take multiple meals in a day. I Eat less but at regular intervals. Drink water and yes If you are planning to eat more , Make sure you should also plan to burn more.