Will I gain weight from starvation mode or is it all a myth?

Options
Alyyy233
Alyyy233 Posts: 9 Member
edited November 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm 5'7 and 132-134 pounds. I'm a vegetarian, considering going vegan soon by the way since a lot of my meals are completely plant based. Before going vegetarian, my calorie intake was in the range of 1600-1800 and sometimes 1900. Since going vegetarian I've noticed its decreasing without me really trying. I was getting full at 1500-1600 then around 1400 and then 1200-1300 and now I can barely push past 1200 since making a majority of my meals completely plant-based (no eggs, dairy, honey, etc). Not restricting on purpose. I'm just enjoying plant-based more and more over time. But recently, I was told that if I continue to stay at under 1200 or just at 1200, especially while still maintaining the same level of activity, I'm going to go into starvation mode and gain weight/fat, and wreck my metabolism. Is this true? I don't want that to happen. But at the same time, I really enjoy eating these plant-based meals (which happen to fill me up quickly and in small amounts/volume). Please help!
Ps, another thing I just want to add out there. My protein has decreased while carbs have increased, however, protein intake is not under 100 grams. And a majority of my carbs are fiber so I have a medium-small net. Reason I write this is because I've also been told that the increase in carbs will cause fat storage.

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    No.
  • JDixon852019
    JDixon852019 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Eating an adequate diet is important for nutritional purposes, but the idea that your body clings to fat and you may even gain weight if you don't eat enough, is a myth. You gain weight by eating too many calories.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    At 5'7 and just over 130, why would you want to eat less than 1200 calories a day? Are you trying to lose 2 pounds a week? Your BMI is already at 20 or 21, which is on the lower side of the healthy range. If you are, I would be very careful to ensure you still have the fuel you need. You can easily add olive oil, beans, corn, potatoes, and other nutrient- and calorie-dense vegan foods to your diet. Starvation mode is not a thing, but I can't imagine it would be particularly pleasant to have my body cannibalize my hair and nails to get the nutrients it needs.

Carbs do not cause fat unless you eat too many of them, same with the other two macronutrients.
  • Alyyy233
    Options
    Ok thanks for clearing that up, everyone :) The 1100-1200 calories has been going on straight for about a month. I haven't weighed myself since and haven't visited my mom lately, who has the scale lol. But last time I weighed which was the beginning of October, I weighed somewhere between 132-134. I do feel lighter though. My exercises are aerobic activity and resistance workouts.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    The answer is no to weight gain / starvation modes / carbs causing fat storage etc..

The answer is also no on you eating 1200 calories and less calories a day.. you need to work on this part.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Alyyy233 wrote: »
    Ok thanks for clearing that up, everyone :) The 1100-1200 calories has been going on straight for about a month. I haven't weighed myself since and haven't visited my mom lately, who has the scale lol. But last time I weighed which was the beginning of October, I weighed somewhere between 132-134. I do feel lighter though. My exercises are aerobic activity and resistance workouts.

At 5'7" you're already at a healthy weight. How much more are you trying to lose?
  • Alyyy233
    edited November 2016
    Options
    At 5'7 and just over 130, why would you want to eat less than 1200 calories a day? Are you trying to lose 2 pounds a week? Your BMI is already at 20 or 21, which is on the lower side of the healthy range. If you are, I would be very careful to ensure you still have the fuel you need. You can easily add olive oil, beans, corn, potatoes, and other nutrient- and calorie-dense vegan foods to your diet. Starvation mode is not a thing, but I can't imagine it would be particularly pleasant to have my body cannibalize my hair and nails to get the nutrients it needs.

Carbs do not cause fat unless you eat too many of them, same with the other two macronutrients.

Am not trying to lose anymore weight. I was very overweight at one point and lost it last year but as a newly vegetarian, I now get very full at 1200 calories. Probably because of the dramatic increase in fiber and increase in veggies which are low calorie. I like this lifestyle. I personally feel more energized and less stomach issues with no meat and few-no animal by products. But that's just me.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

Am not trying to lose anymore weight. I was very overweight at one point and lost it last year but as a newly vegetarian, I now get very full at 1200 calories. Probably because of the dramatic increase in fiber and increase in veggies which are low calorie.

That's good! I agree that you sound like you are at a fantastic weight as you are. :)

How do you get 100+ grams of protein on a vegan diet, btw? I am not vegetarian, but some days struggle to get enough. Tips, please!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options

Am not trying to lose anymore weight. I was very overweight at one point and lost it last year but as a newly vegetarian, I now get very full at 1200 calories. Probably because of the dramatic increase in fiber and increase in veggies which are low calorie. I like this lifestyle. I personally feel more energized and less stomach issues with no meat and few-no animal by products. But that's just me.

Personally I feel better getting less of certain types of food, but I feel like crap when I do not get enough food in general.. So you might feel great now, but this will lessen as eating too little will not only cause more weight loss, you will start having side effects short term that can lead into longer term ones the longer you keep under eating..

Now that you have the answer to carbs and starvation mode, what can you do to increase your diet? This method does not sound like its really good for you at all..
  • Alyyy233
    Options

Am not trying to lose anymore weight. I was very overweight at one point and lost it last year but as a newly vegetarian, I now get very full at 1200 calories. Probably because of the dramatic increase in fiber and increase in veggies which are low calorie.

That's good! I agree that you sound like you are at a fantastic weight as you are. :)

How do you get 100+ grams of protein on a vegan diet, btw? I am not vegetarian, but some days struggle to get enough. Tips, please!

Protein powder at least once a day. Either plant-based or whey since I'm not considered vegan yet. I still consume eggs and some dairy which also help. And there's high protein veggies/plant foods like kale, mushrooms, quinoa, beans, etc.

• Alyyy233
    Options

Am not trying to lose anymore weight. I was very overweight at one point and lost it last year but as a newly vegetarian, I now get very full at 1200 calories. Probably because of the dramatic increase in fiber and increase in veggies which are low calorie. I like this lifestyle. I personally feel more energized and less stomach issues with no meat and few-no animal products. But that's just me.

If you keep eating 1200 calories or less you will keep losing weight. If you don't want to lose weight, then eat more than 1200 calories.

Any specific suggestions? "Eat more than 1200 calories" while someone is already struggling to get 1200 doesn't really help. It's like telling an injured person to walk when they're already struggling to walk.
  • bogwoppt1
    bogwoppt1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Maybe add some nut butters to up your caloric intake and also add some good protein and oils. One tablespoon will easily add 100 cals, plus it tastes great.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP sounds like others have already set you straight that Starvation Mode, as you're describing it, is a myth.

Since you seem to be struggling to fit in the appropriate number of calories to maintain your weight, given the volume of low cal foods you are currently eating, I suggest looking through this great post for ideas (note, not all vegetarian/vegan friendly but surely some will work).

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    You should probably eat more calories a day...

Nut butters are an easy (and vegan) way to add calories, protein, and fat to your diet.

Also--avocados are just plain yummy.
  • Alyyy233
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

Personally I feel better getting less of certain types of food, but I feel like crap when I do not get enough food in general.. So you might feel great now, but this will lessen as eating too little will not only cause more weight loss, you will start having side effects short term that can lead into longer term ones the longer you keep under eating..

Now that you have the answer to carbs and starvation mode, what can you do to increase your diet? This method does not sound like its really good for you at all..

What method? It's a lifestyle. I made a change and love the plant-based lifestyle. I'm just having trouble getting enough calories apparently. It's a catch-22. Any tips aside from "go back to previous eating lifestyle" would be great.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

Am not trying to lose anymore weight. I was very overweight at one point and lost it last year but as a newly vegetarian, I now get very full at 1200 calories. Probably because of the dramatic increase in fiber and increase in veggies which are low calorie. I like this lifestyle. I personally feel more energized and less stomach issues with no meat and few-no animal products. But that's just me.

If you keep eating 1200 calories or less you will keep losing weight. If you don't want to lose weight, then eat more than 1200 calories.

Any specific suggestions? "Eat more than 1200 calories" while someone is already struggling to get 1200 doesn't really help. It's like telling an injured person to walk when they're already struggling to walk.

There is more to being vegetarian than just eating vegetables and whatnot. Eat higher calorie foods...nuts and nut butters, full fat dairy products (I assume anyway that you are lacto-ovo), saute or roast your veggies in oil and use oils in general for cooking...typical vegetarian staple foods like beans, lentils, pastas, etc are also calorie dense.