Question about body weight scale issue

Options
Hi everyone. I'm new here to MFP. I will weigh myself and then I may get back on 1 or 2 times more immediately after and the numbers keep changing, maybe a pound or two higher or lower. It's very frustrating. Does anyone else measure back-to-back like that? If so, does your scale also fluctuate so quickly? I've changed the batteries. Could my scale need replacing? I want to have an accurate number and I'm wondering should I just get on once, take that number and go on?

Also, if/when I do get a new scale, how much difference could the numbers be from the old scale regarding my weight? I've been tracking based on my current scale's numbers, should I start over with the numbers from the new one?

Sorry for the rambling. Thanks for your input!

Replies

• Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Do you own a wii fit? I use that to weigh in once a week.

Otherwise, I'd probably weigh myself three times in a row and go with the average (but then I'm a scientist :P)
  • MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Don't drive yourself batty. Pick the same scale, first number and be done with it.

I was going berserk a few weeks ago because my scale was weighing me about 2-3 pounds heavier than the 2 at my son's Jiu Jitsu school that the Professor said "weighed heavy" I hopped on the scale at Publix (why do they put a scale in grocery store? Makes me want to buy less food :huh: ) and it was more in line with my scale at home. SO, I have stopped hopping on the scale at the school.

It's mine at home, first number after first pee, number on Friday is the official weight of the week.

L
  • julieh346
    julieh346 Posts: 4
    Options
    If it is a digital...they do act like that when the batteries are weak...also it will do that if you dont stand in the exact same place...put your big toes on the same spot every time you weigh...hope this helps!
  • Windi38
    Windi38 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'd say probably either you need a new scale, or the one you are using isn't in a good spot. Do you have it on a hard, flat surface? If it's on carpet, it's really hard for the scale to be accurate. I usually hop on and off 2 or 3 times just to make sure. I have it out of the way and so I pull it out to weigh myself. Sometimes the second time I weigh, the scale is different, so I do it again and either it'll be the same as the second weigh in or the same as the first so I go with the weight that reads twice. My scale has directions that if it gets moved, you have to step on and back off again to re-calibrate it, so that's why I do that. :)
  • jpeper1966
    jpeper1966 Posts: 79
    Options
    If I move the scale any, it will give a different measurement. If it doesn't move the weight is usually the same. Trust me I have jumped on that thing many times in a row trying to get that certain number I was working towards.
  • jencompton3821
    jencompton3821 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Do you own a wii fit? I use that to weigh in once a week.

Otherwise, I'd probably weigh myself three times in a row and go with the average (but then I'm a scientist :P)

I HATE my scale!!! It never says the same thing twice!! I have vowed serveral times to throw it in the yard!!!

Ok..Scientist!! I ask this question yesterday!! Do you think the Wii Fit accurate??? It told me yesterday I was down 13lbs!!! Which is awesome...but I haven't gone done a size in clothes!! Do you know of a "margin of error" for it???
  • SarahLovesCheesecake
    Options
    Mines on carpet, but I use a tile to put under it for this reason...
  • Kirsty_UK
    Options
    Ok..Scientist!! I ask this question yesterday!! Do you think the Wii Fit accurate??? It told me yesterday I was down 13lbs!!! Which is awesome...but I haven't gone done a size in clothes!! Do you know of a "margin of error" for it???
    lol I have no idea - maybe yours is borked :wink:

All I know is, each time I've weighed myself on the big electronic scales at the doctors (4 times so far), it's agreed with the wii (+1lb for the clothes), and twice when I've weighed myself before and after a good poo (tmi? :laugh: ) it's measured 1lb difference :laugh:
  • Kirsty_UK
    Options
    Did I kill the thread? :blushing: :laugh:
  • iamhopeful
    iamhopeful Posts: 25
    Options
    Bump
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    My scale is like that too. I just weigh myself like 5 times and pick the number that came up the most. If the number I pick is inaccurate by 1 or 1.5 pound, no big deal. The overall trend is the important thing.
  • ShellyLee
    ShellyLee Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Also make sure your scale is actually flat. Floors are always as level as you think. I got a brand new scale yesterday and the first spot I put it down in wasn't flat... I always make sure it doesn't wobble when I press down on the corners before I get on.
  • arw060310
    arw060310 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    When I weigh in the morning, or for my official weekly weigh in, I weigh myself 3 times in a row and take the average. But most of the time if I do it all in a row it shows the same number. But I've noticed if I weigh myself, then get a sip of water or clean around the house, the weight is always different. Don't drive yourself too crazy!
  • iamhopeful
    Options
    bump
  • sandy729
    sandy729 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I weighed myself at the gym after my workout. I weighed myself with sweaty clothes and it was far less than my scale at home. I'm ready to throw my scale out the window and just weigh in at the gym.
  • iamhopeful
    Options
    bump
  • iamhopeful
    Options
    bump