Question For Ladies About AF

Options
Right now I have very irregular periods. I am also 329 pounds. Have any ladies out there found once you lost a significant amount of weight your periods were more regular. Sorry if this is TMI. TIA!

Replies

• janekana
    janekana Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    A lot of my friends are skinny (in healthy BMI range though) and their periods are very irregular ever since they hit puberty. Apparently it just runs in the family.

I also have irregular periods sometimes too, like it would skip a month for no reason, but I'm also within a healthy BMI. Once I went on the pill, however, my periods became far more stable. One of my friends also take the pill just to control her periods and nothing else, it might be something worth looking into if you're really troubled by the irregularity.
  • xomandymaurine
    xomandymaurine Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies. Going on BC was something I was thinking about but my husband and I want to start a family soon so I don't know if that would be the best option. I will discuss that with my doctor though. Thanks for bring that to my attention :)
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    For some being overweight causes imbalances with hormones if its not just how you were made. So its plausible that dropping on the BMI chart may aleviate the irregularity if that is a factor. There is some correlation between obesity and ovulation/infertility. Seems you're on the right track!
    Definitely worth talking to your Dr. xoxo
  • Meghanebk
    Meghanebk Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    My weight never affected my cycle, I've been anywhere from low range "normal" BMI to the low end of obese. I've been regular as a metronome. But I know restricting calories made some of my friends irregular until they got back to a maintenance level.

Have you talked to a doc about increased pregnancy risks and weight? My sister went on BC for 2 years specifically to hold off on pregnancy until she was at a healthier weight. She wanted to avoid risks to her and the potential baby.
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I started out at 6'0", 368lbs with very irregular periods. Once I lost 40 or 50lbs, they became regular on their own.