Newbie to MFP - Veteran to this never ending rollercoaster

Options
Hi everyone,

Just "stumbled" on this website and have to say, WOW. This is the easiest tracker I've ever seen to date, and I use eTools on WW (I'm a lifetime member). I'm sick of this yo-yo dieting, losing the same 50+ pounds.

I lost 100 lbs, gained 80, lost 85, gained 60, lost 50, gained 30. I'm am praying this is the last ride I'm on. I'm sick of it and am tired of not being healthy. I'm a chronic binger and am hoping this community's support will finally help me and thousands of others get a grip on life! I will be ecstatic if I lose 30 pounds, but overjoyed if I can finally maintain it.

I'm ready, motivated, and determined to give support and receive it in this wonderful community! I got my head on straight regarding exercise, now if I can just figure out the eating, I'll be on my way. I'm looking forward to "meeting" some new friends here to walk (or run) through this journey together!! I'm ready to kick some butt!

Replies

• jparsons27
    jparsons27 Posts: 61
    Options
    I have done weight watchers too... never became a lifetime member though! I have been doing MFP for a couple of weeks now and LOVE it! So glad you are here :)

Jane
  • yes_i_can
    yes_i_can Posts: 419
    Options
    Welcome and good luck. You'll find amazing support and accountability here!

I'm on the same page as you, I believe - I've been up and down and know I can get down again this time, but the big challenge will come in maintaining. I'm hoping that making great relationships on MFP and keeping up with the site even after I reach my goal will help to make this a life-long success.

Feel free to add me as a friend. Here we go....!
  • ncgatorfan
    ncgatorfan Posts: 517
    Options
    Thanks, Jane. That's a stunning picture on your profile!
  • ncgatorfan
    Options
    Wow, 60 lbs lost! Congratulations!!! Thanks for the welcoming note. I'm excited about this site!
  • Gogobecky
    Gogobecky Posts: 18
    Options
    I agree...I too joined a few weeks ago and I'm already loving the community here! VERY friendly and encouraging!

Feel free to add me, since I'm in VA (and also grew up near Gainesville! Go Gators!) ;)
  • MeganJo
    MeganJo Posts: 69
    Options
    My suggestion as far as eating healthy: Go through your cupboards, fridge, & freezer and pull out anything that isn't going to help you reach your goals and get rid of it. If it isn't open drop it at a food bank or something, otherwise toss it. Then head to the store and stock up on only foods that will help you reach your goals. If you crave chocolate grab a couple bars of dark chocolate and limit yourself to one or two pieces a day after you've done your workouts or whatever your goals are. If you want sweets, get a bunch of fruit that you can snack on whenever you get a craving. Make sure you get tons of veggies, proteins (chicken breast, beans, tofu, etc.), and whole grains (pastas, breads, rice, etc.).

Aim to try a new food each time you go to the grocery store either from the produce section or health foods (quinoa is a good one if you haven't tried it!). Trying new things will really help you in keeping it interesting and you wont get so "bored" eating healthy as a lot of people tend to do at first. I'd also suggest getting a cookbook or two that will have some great healthy recipes in it for you to try so you can learn how to cook healthier. Figure out different substitutions you can use for things to make your meals healthier. Ex: Instead of sour cream, try greek yogurt! One last thing as far as food goes: portion control! Make sure you are eating proper portions, you may be hungry the first week or two if you are used to eating overly large portions but I promise your stomach will shrink back to the size it is meant to be and you'll be surprised at how little food can make you feel full!

If you have any questions regarding exercise feel free to ask, I'm a personal trainer and I'd love to answer any of your questions. Good luck with everything!
  • MB1967
    MB1967 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hi,

good for you, MFP is great for support and the trackers really keep you focused. Add some friends to get some great support, everyone is really good on here. it`ll make the journey smoother for you and you`ll have some laughs on the way..

Feel free to add me!

best of luck!

Michael.
  • ncgatorfan
    Options
    Thank you!!! It does seem like a fantastic community.
  • ncgatorfan
    Options
    Thanks, MeganJo. Great tips here! Portion control is my biggest problem. Guess it's because my "full" signal never makes it to my brain!! I wish you lived in Raleigh, would love to hire you as a personal trainer!!
  • PianoRaven
    PianoRaven Posts: 52
    Options
    Hi. I'm new here too.

@ in Feb of 2010 and reached goal in Dec (lost 50 lbs). Since then, I have gained back almost 20. :(

I've been trying to get back on the program, but I just can't get into it this time. So, I'm am starting something new and am going to see how I do just counting calories.

Have you found any exercises that you like?
  • ncgatorfan
    Options
    Boy, I know how you feel. I just can't get back into WW right now, so I wanted something new, just like you! It really hurts to regain the weight. You would think I wouldn't be stupid enough to let all that weight creep back on! But I let food overpower my head.

I found some great exercises: Body Pump - wow what a workout! I love to do Spinning, and just last night, Step class kicked my butt. I'm loving this new routine. Now just have to get the bingeing under control!