canned strawberries in heavy syrup

Options
Does anyone know calories in a single canned strawberry?

Replies

• kirstenb13
    kirstenb13 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Not enough to matter.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    If you have the can, use the nutritional information on the label to estimate the portion of a serving you are having and enter that into the database. If you don't have the can, Google is a fabulous thing. You can find the nutritional label on line.
  • aimanbafakyh
    aimanbafakyh Posts: 34 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    its homemade and google's giving me nutrition in terms of grams. No scale :(
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Do you know what type of syrup was used? Or what was used to make the syrup? If so, you can create a recipe.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    The calories will depend on type of syrup, amount of syrup, and size of strawberry. Your guess is likely to be closer than anything I could come up with. Can you guess at the weight and use that?
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    How does the calories in a single strawberry even matter?
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    If it were me, I'd just "Quick Add" 50 cals or something in order to account for the syrup.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    its homemade and google's giving me nutrition in terms of grams. No scale :(

You can google grams to ounce or cups conversion
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Considering 100g of fresh strawberries is around 33 calories and 100g of strawberries looks like this (it can vary by size of the strawberries, of course). Let's say, just for gits and shiggles, that there are 8 strawberries in 100g. 33/8=4.124. So roughly 4 calories per strawberry. I highly doubt a canned strawberry would that much more calories wise than a single strawberry, perhaps another 3 calories.

Is it really worth the worry?
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Call it 10 calories assuming you weren't drinking syrup too.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I'd probably allow about 20-30 cals, but it would be a wild guess. Really you are accounting for the sugar and their is no knowing how much an indivdual strawberry would absorb. Take a guess and move on, the numbers aren't big enough to lose sleep over.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Assume that about half the weight of what you are eating is sugar. Yes, it takes that much sugar for heavy syrup.
  • aimanbafakyh
    Options
    Do you know what type of syrup was used? Or what was used to make the syrup? If so, you can create a recipe.

sugar syrup
  • aimanbafakyh
    Options
    Okay thanks guys
  • edena001
    edena001 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Considering 100g of fresh strawberries is around 33 calories and 100g of strawberries looks like this (it can vary by size of the strawberries, of course). Let's say, just for gits and shiggles, that there are 8 strawberries in 100g. 33/8=4.124. So roughly 4 calories per strawberry. I highly doubt a canned strawberry would that much more calories wise than a single strawberry, perhaps another 3 calories.

You didn't take into account the syrup. Which would possibly be up to another 20 cals, so ignoring things which are 20-30 cals is gonna add up
  • ds41980
    ds41980 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Estimate how many tsp or tbsp it would be mashed and use the calorie info for strawberry jam.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    edena001 wrote: »

You didn't take into account the syrup. Which would possibly be up to another 20 cals, so ignoring things which are 20-30 cals is gonna add up

1 TBS of pure sugar (heavy) syrup is 52 calories. The syrup used in canned fruit is usually a light or medium syrup which is around 30 calories per TBS. Considering OP plucked one strawberry out, most of the syrup would have drained off when she picked it up.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I'd figure on a teaspoon of sugar to account for the syrup.