Love handles

Options
Hi

I have managed to shed 22lbs through the year but looking to get rid of another 8-10lb.. exercise is now part of my weekly routine, in addition my general diet is better.

My week consists of 3 50 minute spin session and resistance work in between those with a rest day but I am have trouble shifting the last bits around my middle to get my hip to waist ratio in check.

So looking for advice and on targeted excercise to burn this off, and maybe diet tips to assist as from what I have read diet is a large % of the battle.

Thanks in advance

Steve

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Just keep doing what you're doing, you can't spot reduce
  • xDesertxRatx
    xDesertxRatx Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hi mate same here. 38" waist, 40" chest and 40.5" around navel. Rest of me not to bad but would like chest to stick out further than stomach. so in the same boat in a way. Not really wanting to go on a diet so exercise am hoping will sort it out.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    There is no way to "spot reduce" fat from specific areas of your body. Keep losing fat and it will come off according to your genetics. Unfortunately, for most males the belly/love handles are the last place you'll lose it from.

No exercises will have any effect because fat is inert and can't be exercised, and exercising the muscles beneath the fat has no effect on the fat stored directly above them.
  • steveglloyd73
    steveglloyd73 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    So getting lean is the answer by all accounts, thanks for the advice everyone
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Agreed with everyone above. One further comment @steveglloyd924 you say that your diet is generally better. Are you weighing and logging everything you consume?

• steveglloyd73
    Options
    Logging but not weighing unless it Pre weighed
  • squarewheels66
    squarewheels66 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Mine only started to disappear when I got to 14% BF
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options

You should really weigh as it will give you a better idea of your calorie intake.

Even the pre-weighed stuff can be off.

If you're getting down to the last few pounds, then accuracy is key.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

There is your answer. Eveything should be weighed accurately, even pre-weighed food.
  • steveglloyd73
    Options
    Thanks everyone evidently attention to detail is key.
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Switch to whole grains. Cut back on sweets and junk food. Replace them with protein and granola bars. Eat lots of fruits and vegetables. Eat like a bodybuilder. Youtube has videos of bodybuilder diets.
    I disagree with not being able to target an area. I've always seen results from working out my core. Though I agree, sometimes it's practically impossible to out work a bad diet. We all know that muscle burns fat. I feel like if you start doing crunches and leg scissors your going to start seeing your abs wanting to peek through.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about the weighing of food unless you are not losing but "think" you are in deficit. Mine went away to when I hit 15% BF. They started to come back as I slacked off running a bit and added beer. I am at 20% BF now and need to lose about 10 pounds. It won't spot reduce but I found that the combination of cardio (running) and a planks workout worked for me.
  • mgalovic01
    Options
    Oh, and the ab roller gives the best core workout I've ever done.
  • AnvilHead
    edited November 2016
    Options
    mgalovic01 wrote: »

Great. It's good to have strong core muscles. But it does absolutely nothing to eliminate the subcutaneous abdominal fat. Fat is inert, has no contractile properties and cannot be exercised. Exercising the muscles beneath fat will strengthen them, but has no effect upon the adipose tissue surrounding them.

As to "we all know that muscle burns fat", that isn't true either. Muscles burn calories. A pound of muscle burns about 6 calories per day; a pound of fat burns about 2 calories per day. So increasing your muscle mass by 10 pounds (which is a very significant increase) would result in an added calorie burn of 40 calories per day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    So getting lean is the answer by all accounts, thanks for the advice everyone

Yeah, pretty much...I'm up around 15% right now and I have some small love handles...they pretty much are gone at around 12%.
  • mgalovic01
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Great. It's good to have strong core muscles. But it does absolutely nothing to eliminate the subcutaneous abdominal fat. Fat is inert, has no contractile properties and cannot be exercised. Exercising the muscles beneath fat will strengthen them, but has no effect upon the adipose tissue surrounding them.

As to "we all know that muscle burns fat", that isn't true either. Muscles burn calories. A pound of muscle burns about 6 calories per day; a pound of fat burns about 2 calories per day. So increasing your muscle mass by 10 pounds (which is a very significant increase) would result in an added calorie burn of 40 calories per day.

Sore muscles use up much more calories to repair themselves than fresh ones do.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Sore muscles use up much more calories to repair themselves than fresh ones do.

What?! Really?! :huh: :noway:
  • mgalovic01
    Options
    Sore muscles use up much more calories to repair themselves than fresh ones do.[/quote]

What?! Really?! :huh: :noway:[/quote]

They gotta get the energy required to rebuild from somewhere.
  • AnvilHead
    edited November 2016
    Options
    They gotta get the energy required to rebuild from somewhere.

So exactly how many more calories do they use?