How to get motivated and wake up early to run in the morning?

Hi you all!

I've been running for a few months now, early in the morning (6 a.m.), and I loved it!

Lately though, because of my university studies (I had a lot of exams to take last month so I used to study until very late at night and in the morning I just couldn't wake up at that time for the life of me), I kind of set running aside as I don't like running in the evening.

Now that I have more free time though, I would like to run again, but lately, even though I set my alarm for a few days, I just couldn't wake up! I'd mumble "I'll do it tomorrow", but tomorrow never comes D:
The fact that the weather is getting colder is not helping me at all.

So for the early runners, how do you cope with the cold and getting back on track after a long break?

I should mention I'm not an expert when it comes to running, I run about 7km alternating between slow running and fast walking, but I'm content with it :)

Replies

• francescacoscia16
    francescacoscia16 Posts: 20 Member
    @mjaykup That sounds like a plan, desperate time desperate measures :lol:
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    I run in the afternoon or evening. Even in the summer in Florida. Getting up in the morning is just not going to happen for me.

I do suffer through early mornings only for long runs when I have more than about 10 miles to do. That's only when training for a race.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    If you want to run in the morning, you'll get up and run in the morning. If you don't want to run in the morning, you won't. You claimed to have loved running in the morning. I see no problem. Get up, get out and do what you love to do. I'm confused why someone would need an extra push to do something they loved and was good for them.
  • fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    I'll never love running in the morning. I doubt I ever will. If you like it, you'll do it. I go when I have free tome and that's usually evening.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I don't run, but I do cycle...in the summer months I cycle in the early morning namely to beat the heat...I am not a morning person at all, but I hate cycling in the heat of the day even more.

Basically, I just friggin' do it...my alarm clock is on my dresser which is across the room...it goes off and I have to get up to turn it off...so at that point, what the hell? I'm up...
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    A schedule helps me. It's 5AM every Monday and Wednesday, no exceptions, no "tomorrow" and that helps a lot. Plus, knowing I don't have to do it the next day is a benefit too (I run early Mon/Wed, on my lunch break Tues/Thurs, and at least one of Saturday or Sunday but both if I have time and am feeling it.)

I go to bed early too, 10 PM if possible.
  • JennieMaeK
    JennieMaeK Posts: 470 Member
    I love running in the morning, but don't get to do it often. It would mean a really early wake (I guess I could, but I prefer sleep), as my husband leaves for work at 6:30am and so I would have to be back before he leaves to get our son ready for school.

So, I do mostly evenings. It's getting cold here and we've already had some snow (plus it's dark at like 6pm) so lately it's been at the gym. I enjoy how I feel after a run, so as long as I get it in, I'm a happy camper.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Invite a friend to join you. Peer pressure is a wonderful thing. :)
  • Bbeliever215
    Bbeliever215 Posts: 234 Member
    edited November 2016
    I have several alarms as well. I have 3 in my for bit and one on my phone which is the loudest one of course. After a week or so you should get back into a routine but since you are in school, exams are par for the course so you may want to be more flexible with your workout /run. As others mentioned try a run buddy, go to the gym, or set alarms for the evening for a run outside until it becomes a habit while outside leave one ear bud out and you should be fine.
  • NewGemini130
    NewGemini130 Posts: 219 Member
    Sleep in your running clothes- wake up, shoes on, out door. Really just force it the first 3-5 days and re establish the habit.
  • thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    I am with you. I did the whole 5am workout for months but find it hard to get back into. I have started arvo running but I know with the weather getting hotter and a distance grows I'll probably switch to mornings. I find I am all or nothing, its everyday or not at all. I am trying to fix that mentality atm since I can only ease back into running due to injury so everyday is out. You just have to make yourself to do it and it will become easier as you adjust evening pattern back to getting to bed earlier etc.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    heh. spike milligan: "0600 hours [...] it wasn't fair. who invented early?"

i relate to 'loving' mornings but rarely seeing them. i'm a natural born night owl, but that doesn't mean i don't like the mornings i see. it's just that 5 am is a bit like hawaii to me. more like a place to visit than a place where i actually live :p i'm not a runner, but as a bike commuter and someone who constantly 'plans' to go do my lifting at 6am too, i relate anyway.

and i think it's a thing where i have to visit it consistently for a while, before i get used to morning itself. it's harder to get out of bed and get going when i can't really make my brain take the idea seriously. who invented early? there's no such thing. i'm not sure i even believe in mornings unless i see them.

but once i get re-acquainted with them through experience, that part of it does get easier.
  • francescacoscia16
    francescacoscia16 Posts: 20 Member
    I'm going to try the "sleep in your running clothes" thing and honestly, tonight my alarm is going to be across the room :joy:

@thunder1982 I soo feel you! I have an "all or nothing" mentality too. If I am back on track, I know I will stick to it as it becomes a habit and my body tells me it needs it.
    @canadianlbs your post made my day :joy: thank god I like mornings, that's when I get most of my stuff done, although I'm a night owl as well, so I might need to find a balance between the two.

As some have said, it's true that if you feel the need to do something, you will just do it, and I speak from experience. Guess I just wanted to know if I'm the only one who sometimes sabotages herself :blush:

Also, running buddies is not a thing, all of my friends are too lazy to do something like that, I tried and I miserably failed to convince them :joy: so I might as well pick myself as a running buddy :smirk:
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    I'd say go to bed earlier.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Also, running buddies is not a thing, all of my friends are too lazy to do something like that, I tried and I miserably failed to convince them :joy: so I might as well pick myself as a running buddy :smirk:

Do you have a local running store that offers group runs? Or maybe a local running group (on social media or find one at the running store)? You can often find like minded individuals who are always willing to run. Groups like these also love to welcome new members. Good luck.

Oh, and how was your run this morning? :D
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Sleep in your running clothes- wake up, shoes on, out door. Really just force it the first 3-5 days and re establish the habit.

I can't sleep with my soft strap heart monitor on.. :( Now that I think of it sleeping in anything that I have not been sleeping in, might cause me not to sleep very well negating getting a good nights sleep to wake up refreshed and ready to get up and work out.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    I've never been able to manufacture motivation. It's either there or it's not. I can do little things here or there to help eliminate some of the excuses, but even that doesn't help all that much. In my experience it comes down to discipline, not motivation.

Laying in bed trying to decide if it's worth getting up early...
    Looking out at the cold, gray sky trying to decide if it's worth bundling up...

Whatever the decision is, discipline will get you a heck of a lot further than will motivation.
  • Livgetfit
    Livgetfit Posts: 352 Member
    Try getting an an app that makes you do a puzzle in order to turn it off. I have an android so I use 'I can't wake up'. It has awesome things like puzzles or taking a picture of something (I make mine something in my kitchen with the light on). By the time you get it to turn off, you're so awake that you might as well do something.

I have also in the past used an adapter with a timer. I plug my lamp into it and when it reaches the time I have set, the lamp automatically turns on.

Good luck!