can't run outside today-need indoor ideas!

Options
Here in FL I can't run until dusk (or at 6am which did NOT happen today!). Due to an appointment I won't be able to run this evening, and it's time I got some cross training in anyway.

I need advice on in house workouts that would burn about 300 calories (my usual for running 1/2 hr).

Ideas welcome!!

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Though monotonous, climbing stairs in your house for 30 minutes should hit that 300 calorie mark.
  • twtex01
    twtex01 Posts: 4
    Options
    If you dont have stairs; you can do standard exercises....Jumping jacks, push ups, sit ups, Leg raises, lunges, dips, resistance bands....etc..... try doing 1 minute intervals with 30 seconds of rest between exercises....it will not only strengthen your core and various muscle groups, but, keep your heart rate elevated to still get a good cardio benefit...
  • jayb123x
    jayb123x Posts: 138
    Options
    How about some Burpees?
    Jason
  • kappy_hollowell
    Options
    Try to find a good workout dvd. I know TurboFire workouts will burn that much!

Do you happen to have a treadmill or stationary bike? Those work well.

Cleaning house vigorously will also burn a lot of calories. That's usually my Sunday workout! I give it all I've got when cleaning, and I usually huff and puff and sweat!

Good luck!
  • TheMrsBee
    TheMrsBee Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    running up and down your stairs and cleaning windows!! best workout! lol Good Luck!
  • yeahfatty
    yeahfatty Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    wii! :D i have just dance 2 for mine & just get my groove on to that .. burns a ton of calories while being entertaining at the same time. (:
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Stair climbing punctuated by Situps and Pushups ...kind of like circuit training.

5 situps.
    Climb stairs
    5 pushups
    down the stairs
    5 situps
    up the stairs
    repeat as necessary

depending on how many stairs you have you could add extra exercises like jumping jacks (at a landing between flights of stairs?) or maybe some hand weights.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodyrock.tv/ - great workout daily, I mean GREAT

Or get a workout DVD - Jillian Michaels, Bob Harper are great trainers, and very popular
  • kgagnon7779
    kgagnon7779 Posts: 216
    Options
    Think about getting your heart rate up. Have you done any P90X? Plyometrics is a great way to get your heart pumping. Doing things like:

1) Fast squat reps where you squat and touch the ground and when you come back up, jump as though you're trying to touch the ceiling.
    2) Cross Country skis - start in a lunge and jump and land in a lunge with the other leg in front, opposite of how you started.
    3) Froggy: Face one direction and squat jump touching the ground and do a 180 turn so you're facing the other direction.
    4) Speed Skate: Get two towels and place them about 7 feet apart. Speed Skate in between the towels back and forth staying very low and lunge-like the whole time.
    5) Mountain Men: Get into a plank position and alternate bringing your legs up to your chest almost like you're climbing a ladder but not going anywhere.
    6) Put a towel in the middle of the floor - run around it - keep your upper body quiet so only your feet are moving, while running as close to it as possible for 30 seconds. Switch directions.
    7) Get a stool. Kick your leg one way over it and then back the other way, switch legs each time. Try to do it as fast as you can, obviously trying not to whack the stool.
    8) Good ol' Burpee push ups!

Do about 10 reps of each and repeat as many times as you can.

Let me know if you need more!
  • jabbogurl
    jabbogurl Posts: 193
    Options
    Go outside and go for the run. Its not that bad actually, I'm in Florida too. I find that I feel hotter and more humid when I'm stretching outside and before the run. Once I start to go, I honestly don't feel as hot. I usually run around 1-2 pm.
  • 20carrots
    20carrots Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will try a combo of all that you said (except stairs, don't have any).

Jabbogurl-I can't believe you run outside at 1pm--yesterday I went out at 8 and after my 3 miles I felt nauseous and light headed!
  • jabbogurl
    jabbogurl Posts: 193
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will try a combo of all that you said (except stairs, don't have any).

Jabbogurl-I can't believe you run outside at 1pm--yesterday I went out at 8 and after my 3 miles I felt nauseous and light headed!

LoL! Ya, most my neighbors think I'm crazy when they see me running, but honestly, I think, "train in the worst conditions and races will be easier". Plus, I'm not a morning person and the evenings I do my other workout.
  • apoyser
    apoyser Posts: 35
    Options
    I use Jillian Michaels DVDs ripped in 30 is great but I think I enjoy her yoga meltdown more